• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
James out with his suspension. Now Gill, Quirk & CFS out injured..

Gill injured calf - 2 weeks, Quirk with a rib injury - 2 weeks and Feauai-Sautia dislocated his shoulder and out up to SIX months

T

Train Without a Station

Gill not good but at least that forces Graham to play both Beau and Browning. Might add a little bit of punch and mongrel.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Some good points Gel.

Graham must go. Unfortunately the reality is that he will very likely be the coach again next season. I am not at all confident he will be replaced before then. He is the only union coach I can recall sacked part way through a season and it just does not seem probable that it will occur again. If by some miracle it does happen then leaving him in charge for the rest of the year would be disastrous.

What about the 'player power' thing at the Brumbies a few years back. Who did they boot midway through the year? Was it Tony Rea? Or was he the caretaker after the fact?

EDIT: It was Andy friend they booted midway through the season.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Time to move on From CFS. To Injury prone already and really not that good of a player. :eek: Or he is and not very well coached. He was unveiled as the new Jonah Lomu of the Reds.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Time to move on From CFS. To Injury prone already and really not that good of a player. :eek: Or he is and not very well coached. He was unveiled as the new Jonah Lomu of the Reds.

I do gym with CFS's old school PE & rugby teacher, he reckons we haven't seen CFS yet. Although he was fit when playing he's nervous about doing his hammy again.

Still, he reckons just wait you'll see.

something

Jim Clark (26)
yeah you don't become the most capped schoolboy for nothing. he was a super freak. it would be annoying playing with a hint of doubt the entire time

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
No way Biggsy, cut him & he'l go to another team, come back & tear us a new one. He has plenty of talent & has shown a lot this year, give the kid a chance!
Maybe, but what is more likely is that he will go to another team and one of the other forum posters will be telling us how he *could* have ripped us a new one *if* only he wasn't injured because he is so awesome.

He, like Turner and Toua just seem to have constant injuries for whatever reason. I feel for them, and they all have some very decent skills, but what good is it if they hardly ever play?

How many chances is enough? It isn't just about money either, it is also about having effectively only 26 on the roster because there is a virtual certainty that 3 of the guys will be injured for the vast majority of the season.

I hate saying it, because all three are talented and seem to be really keen - but seriously, it is amazingly frustrating to watch other teams run out strong sides that are pretty consistent whilst we are swapping and changing all over the shop to accommodate guys that are constantly unable to play (and scrambling to replace them).

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I do gym with CFS's old school PE & rugby teacher, he reckons we haven't seen CFS yet. Although he was fit when playing he's nervous about doing his hammy again.

Still, he reckons just wait you'll see.

You can see it every time he runs. I actually can't remember the last time I saw CFS do anything that resembled striding out and hitting full pace.

That said, even running cautiously he cut the Blues up a few times.

He may have had some injury issues in the past but this recent shoulder thing could have happened to literally any player at any time and has little/nothing to do with his hamstring issues which have been getting better, objectively, in terms of his availability to play.

For mine the big difference between Aidan and CFS has to be that CFS doesn't display anything resembling the obvious skill deficiencies that Aidan has shown in his stints at 15.

The only repeated issues I've noticed with CFS have been the hesitancy in his running style and issues defending on the wing (which historically and this year as well usually comes down to a lack of numbers or poor communication between the winger, 15 and the cover/slide defender - not so much always the result of poor decisions by the winger) but other than that he's shown some physical prowess in the loose and in contact that we could really, really use in the backs right now.

Oh, and he comes off as a little bit soft and maybe even a bit 'lazy' on defense but it's not something I've specifically looked for and more something I've noticed in passing so that may not be totally true.

He seems to be growing, albeit a bit slowly, with each game he plays for the Reds. When CFS comes back from injury you know you've got a player which will at the very least do what you want him to do and at the other end of things has the potential to carve a team to pieces. When Aidan comes back from injury it's literally a complete crapshoot in regards to what may or may not happen.

These are the kind of really shitty decisions that need to be made by the administrators to keep the Reds organization lean and efficient in financially troubling times that are challenging the foundations of the game in Australia.

I've never even met Aidan and I wouldn't want to see him dropped and effectively have his dream of playing for the Reds as a career extinguished. He seems like an absolutely top-shelf bloke but is also going into his mid-20s and displaying huge, huge skill deficiences in vital aspects of not just playing fullback but playing footy at the Super Rugby level.

We need to be looking forward to the competitiveness and viability of the Reds in the long term and poor decisions today could very well come kicking us in the ass next season or even five seasons from now.

I am very happy I'm not one of those administrators right now.

@tranquility sorry for editing so much after you liked the post

T

tranquility

No worries, I still agree with most of it.

Aidan is contracted for 2015, so the most financially responsible thing to do is let him play out his contract and reassess at the end of next season. The boy can seriously play.

As for Sautia, I am not even going to humour the thought of cutting him. We are very lucky to have him on our books, not the other way around.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As for Sautia, I am not even going to humour the thought of cutting him. We are very lucky to have him on our books, not the other way around.

First time on this thread since the season kicked off and I can't really believe what I am reading. There is absolutely no way Queensland rugby should let CFS go anytime soon - and certainly not to any other Super Rugby franchise. It would be the sort of knee-jerk reaction that they would regret for a very long time because potential like his is bloody rare.

As for Toua, I've long been a long time advocate for the kid, as a Reds supporter, personal friend, and someone who witnessed his ability during his schoolboy years. I am also a realist, he can't string consecutive matches together without some sort of injury doubt and whilst his talent justifies another year, the Reds have to make a decision on his future soon.

IMO, there are a few blokes in our squad higher on the list of guys we should be looking at cutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.