• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

humanbeast

Ted Fahey (11)
If this is true we have 2 options, get rid of RG or clean out the players. As extreme as that sounds, we can't have the coach and the players against each other eg. Brumbies 2011

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Gee, I hope that is not true, because that is all kinds of wrong if you are in a management role.

And if that part is true, silence is generally not an indication of support.

Isn't that exactly the same thing Andy Friend did in Canberra just before he was boned? Not a good precedent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: gel
T

Train Without a Station

Could not agree more ILTW.

Unfortunately when it gets to a stage like this, I don't think it's a matter of cleaning out the playing ranks or the coach.

If it's gotten to that, then there are problems both sides of the fence. The coach obviously isn't the right man for the job, and some players are providing destabilising influences on the team too.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
45416918.jpg

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Tensions at the Queensland Reds are so high that coach Richard Graham had to confront his own players over a perceived lack of support.
Graham gathered the playing squad in a room last week and bluntly told them the internal friction had to end.
We hear Graham asked the group: “Are you with me or against me?”.
The coach took the silence that followed as support and then called a start to training. The Reds went on to get dished up by the Blues.

In a further sign of turmoil, its understood former Wallaby winger Digby Ioane was offered a spot by the Reds to return home.
Reds players close to Ioane told him not to bother because by the time he returned they wouldn’t be at the club.

Qwerty, where did this extract come from?
Is there a web page URL?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
If you browse back a couple of months on this thread you will see the first indicators of this situation. These things do not come out of nowhere. The lack of leadership and the deteriorating systems over the last few years should start to become apparent now to even the most ardent supporter.

It is a bit harsh to lay the deterioration all at the feet of Graham, IMO he inherited many issues, but he did fail to identify the issues and arrest the slide, or even make the foundation decisions along those lines.

Redshappy has been discussing these issues since late 2012, in particular his concerns regarding the coaching systems, and while I agreed with some of his theories at that time I thought the horrendous injury toll of 2012 was a determining factor. However two years on the system defects he was talking about are undeniable, in much the same way that I harped on about the Tahs for all those years.

Prolonged outperformance requires management to be ahead of the curve always ensuring player renewal and coaching renewal, along with the professional development of the incumbents. It is these points that I think all the Australian teams have been deficient in for a long time.

T

TOCC

No shit, it's a rugby competition, it's designed to be competitive...

Australian teams are bound by a salary cap, the salary cap creates an environment where there will be cycles where the team is ahead of the curve one year and then a victim of its own success through salary pressures in subsequent years.. It's only an issue if the team is continually behind the curve..

People need to get a grip, seasons like this and the critical comments just make the good seasons all the better.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But only because they couldn't possibly get any worse than Grumbles........

However, their colum usually contains the same amount of "truths"........

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
No shit, it's a rugby competition, it's designed to be competitive.

Australian teams are bound by a salary cap, the salary cap creates an environment where there will be cycles where the team is ahead of the curve one year and then a victim of its own success through salary pressures in subsequent years.. It's only an issue if the team is continually behind the curve..

People need to get a grip, seasons like this and the critical comments just make the good seasons all the better.

Please let's not go so wilfully blind to the multiple self-inflicted deficiencies within the post 2011 Reds set-up that we start using 'the salary cap' as the new excuse and key explaining variable for the downhill path our Reds have been on since that year. That doesn't bear close scrutiny when you look at other clubs that have been similarly constrained but have managed to build a consistent run of season-long victories over all comers.

Look at other clubs that have had to endure salary caps: take the Brisbane Roar as just one example: 3 Championships within a handful of years. Good club management and governance structures, astute selection policies and player renewal, recently as soon as a new coach clearly could not motivate or direct the team correctly he was sacked after one season and a better one (Mulvey) found: top results quickly returned. A focus on detail and getting results, not the sort of hubris-laden self-congratulation and dynasty hype after just one S15 Title that went on inside the Reds Establishment post 2011 and then consequently the seeking out of totally unproven Super rugby coaches whose key attribute for selection seemed to be that they were 'able to learn the Reds culture and the QLD way'.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The salary cap argument, is that after you win a comp,you cannot afford to keep the roster intact,as each of the players look for substantial upgrades with their new contracts.
Most of the Reds squad is intact.
So it's not the salary cap.

T

TOCC

The salary cap argument, is that after you win a comp,you cannot afford to keep the roster intact,as each of the players look for substantial upgrades with their new contracts.

Higginbotham and Ioane both left because of pay...

And what are two things the Reds are currently missing, a ball running back rower and a outside back who can get across the advantage line.

Salary cap pressure isn't purely about retention either, it also impedes on recruitment.

redveincheese

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think it has had some negative affects for the reds though. While you can never be certain, Higgers may have stayed if the reds could have matched or bettered the offer from the rebels. Luke Morahans market value would have increased after his solid season last year which would have made it difficult to keep him. No doubt Will and QC (Quade Cooper) and Horwill have big contracts and that would have affected the money free to recruit a top line outside back even after the departure of Digby.
I don't believe the salary cap is the major cause for the reds slide this year, but it hasn't helped. Overall, I dont think the recruitment strategy, of which the salary cap is a major consideration has been handled well in recent times. However managing to keep Will at the reds was a good achievement, but obviously with salary cap restrictions every win has a potential loss associated with it.

T

TOCC

Please let's not go so wilfully blind to the multiple self-inflicted deficiencies within the post 2011 Reds set-up that we start using 'the salary cap' as the new excuse and key explaining variable for the downhill path our Reds have been on since that year. That doesn't bear close scrutiny when you look at other clubs that have been similarly constrained but have managed to build a consistent run of season-long victories over all comers.

Look at other clubs that have had to endure salary caps: take the Brisbane Roar as just one example: 3 Championships within a handful of years. Good club management and governance structures, astute selection policies and player renewal, recently as soon as a new coach clearly could not motivate or direct the team correctly he was sacked after one season and a better one (Mulvey) found: top results quickly returned. A focus on detail and getting results, not the sort of hubris-laden self-congratulation and dynasty hype after just one S15 Title that went on inside the Reds Establishment post 2011 and then consequently the seeking out of totally unproven Super rugby coaches whose key attribute for selection seemed to be that they were 'able to learn the Reds culture and the QLD way'.

Don't confuse my comment as a tick of approval for everything that's occurred at the Reds the past few years, but I'm not going to dwell on the issue and continually post melodramatic comments on an internet forum.

You can disagree with my comments, I don't care.. It's a professional l sporting competition and there will always be a team on the top and a team on the bottom, there will always be a loser.

Teams go through cycles, if the Reds have made mistakes in the past then so be it, they now have the opportunity to reshape the system to suit the evolving nature of the game..

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
I keep writing several thousand word replies to this thread in the rage this mob are causing this year. But scrap them despite nailing where a lot of issue are.

I don't think we need any confirmation that there are serious issue besides watching the team play.

I actually had a look to see if the QRU still had a board. They have been awfully quiet all year given they are running the Reds arm of the program into the ground.

When you see the names on there you will work out how Graham got the job, why he hasn't been sacked yet and sadly why he might not be gone soon enough.

A loss today should realistically see a sacking of at least a coach ( I think some board members and Carmichael should probably fall on their sword for the appointment as it is). Graham can't be there next year that is clear, you can't win back a team. Failure to make a sudden decision will cost the Reds fans, members and money moving ahead.

Harris is gone next year and I'd say any off contract players will follow unless things improve immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.