• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
HTT -

1. Don't not agree with you there. Hence I said that I would start with Harris & Taps. If you take Ant out of the picture the 13 stocks are a little thin....

2. Entirely disagree. I really don't think that Ant is ready. Consider the way that he plays. His tackling and work in defense. He had some major major work on his shoulder and last weeks trial was the first game time he has had since. He was only there for 10 minutes or so, and IMO didn't show that he would be up to a full 80 minute effort. Therefore against the Brumbies I would not start him. I know his role is important but I would sooner have him there in July than have him start this weekend and be back in a sling.

3. I agree with you about Turner at Full back. I would have Toua there is a flash and Taulagi as second choice. But is there enough experience in those two against the Brumbies if you are going to have CFS on one of the wings? A back 3 of Shippers, Turner, and Toua/Taulagi would be good. CFS, Shippers & Turner - alright. CFS, Turner and Toua/Taulagi - would be just a bit green around the gills for the Brumbies. As much as I love JJ & think that he will have full-back nailed down before the end of the year that senario will be throwing him to the wolves in round 1. Same with Toua - even though he has a littl more experience. All things considered this is a good problem to have though..

Hmm, I really don't love taps at 13, for mine he's an out and out 12 (Harris too) but if ant truly is not ready you're right he probably deserves to be next. That said, I have a little experience in sports injury (specifically shoulders) and rehab (both in my own experience and treating others) and I do think ant is ready or he is not. He got into things well in the final trial (he would have had a number of weeks of graded re-introduction to contact). If I remember correctly he is around the 7 month mark after his operation (late July from memory). That's about right for a shoulder recon (plenty of players have done it in 20-24 weeks i.e 5.5-6 months, even outside a professional environment).

Would another few weeks going to make a difference physically? I doubt it. Mentally? well it depends, Ant doesn't strike me as someone who lack mental fortitude. All I'm saying is if he is indeed fine, and all indications are that he is, he's as fit as everyone else and may as well start.

As for your comments re. the back 3. You're right that lack of experience is something we should want to avoid against the brumbies, but that said I don't really see CFS as that inexperienced now. Despite his age, he's nearly at 20 super caps now, and spent a lot of time in the wallaby squad and has a couple of test caps too. Turner has more experience in professional footy than nearly any other reds back and has played a number of good Tests. Toua is the only one who is truly inexperienced by any objective measure, and even he has served a nearly 5 year apprenticeship at the reds (he and quade played in the same team at school). Injuries are the only reason he hasn't played a lot more. Keep in mind that these CFS and Toua would be on the field with 5 experienced backs (all wallabies) so they're not in the deep end as much as it would appear.

JJ is a maybe for a bench spot at this stage I think. He has a lot of work to do defensively and in general play kicking to earn his crack. His natural ability on the counter is certainly something to behold though.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Thanks for that. Sorry if this is off topic but does anyone know who Marco Kotze is playing for this season? Watched him play a lot for Queanbeyan last year in the John I Dent. Is AJ Gilbert in Brisbane or are the rumors of him playing for Byron Bay real? Agree though that a lot will feature in the NRC, I like the look of Liam Winton as a player.

Had confirmation last night that Marco Kotze is playing at GPS this year and has attended some training with the Reds as well as flying to Perth for tryouts with the Force. Reds would be smart to look at him, a very hard baller runner.

Reactions: FTS

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Thanks for that. Sorry if this is off topic but does anyone know who Marco Kotze is playing for this season? Watched him play a lot for Queanbeyan last year in the John I Dent. Is AJ Gilbert in Brisbane or are the rumors of him playing for Byron Bay real? Agree though that a lot will feature in the NRC, I like the look of Liam Winton as a player.

A little off-topic but I asked AJ what his plans for this season were and he indicated that Japan was one option among a few he was weighing up. He was wearing one Byron Bay sock and one from his Sydney club. He was outstanding though- looked like a man playing against boys whenever he was on field.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Who is Marco Kotze?
Big South African forward who played a bit of pro rugby in his homeland before moving to Canberra to chase a Brumbies contract under Jake White. Wasn't amazing in the Canberra comp but seems to have wraps on him

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
There was a tweet from @Reds_Rugby today "Relive some of the best moments from Bomber's time with the Queensland
It ends intriguingly with 2014. Does this mean a new Bomber?

I really really really really hope so! I'm not too ashamed to admit that a new Bomber would be the most exciting signing to the 2014 Reds Squad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

tranquility

Big South African forward who played a bit of pro rugby in his homeland before moving to Canberra to chase a Brumbies contract under Jake White. Wasn't amazing in the Canberra comp but seems to have wraps on him

Thanks mate! Sounds interesting.

I really really really really hope so! I'm not too ashamed to admit that a new Bomber would be the most exciting signing to the 2014 Reds Squad!

From that video, it seems pretty straight forward that their will be?

Great news!

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
Thanks mate! Sounds interesting.

From that video, it seems pretty straight forward that their will be?

Great news!

Quade's dog perhaps?
b90248fc706811e39c000e66dc7903d1_8.jpg

T

Train Without a Station

Round 1 team named.

1. Slipper
  2. Fainga’a
  3. Holmes
  4. Simmons
  5. Horwill (C)
  6. Quirk
  7. Gill
  8. Shatz
  9. Genia (VC)
  10. Cooper
  11. Shipperly
  12. Harris
  13. Tapaui
  14. Turner
  15. Toua
  16. Hanson
  17. Daley
  18. Owen
  19. O’Donoghue
  20. Robinson
  21. Frisby
  22. Fainga’a
  23. Feauai-Sautia
Browning to Captain Reds A and Davies VC

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Neither am I really. Thinking with the depth that is there in the back row it is better that Curtis is captaining the A side.

Agree with tigerland on Slipper at LH. I actually didn't think he does as well there as he does at TH now but............

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
keep guessing.....

meanwhile, the QLD A team to take on WA A. Glad to see Nigel Ah Wong back in town - as I am sure are Sunnybank. Looks like he's a back here too, or we are going with the old 6-2 split on the bench

Reds A v Force A (Perth)
1. Pettowa Paraka (Reds WTS)
2. Andrew Ready (Reds WTS)
3. Albert Anae (Reds)
4. Dave McDuling (Reds)
5. Blake Enever (Reds)
6. Curtis Browning (C) (Reds)
7. Michael Gunn (Reds WTS/Under 20s)
8. Tim Buchanan (Reds WTS)
9. Scott Gale (Reds WTS/Under 20s)
10. Sam Greene (Reds WTS/ Under 20s)
11. Chris Kuridrani (Reds)
12. Sam Johnson (Reds WTS)
13. Kimami Sitauti (Reds WTS)
14. Rod Davies (VC) (Reds)
15. Jonah Placid (Reds WTS/Under 20s)

Reserves
16. Feleti Kaitu’u (Reds Under 20s)
17. Sef Fa’agase (Reds WTS)
18. Phil Kite (Reds WTS)
19. Adam Korczyk (Reds Under 20s)
20. Lolo Fakaosilea (Reds Under 20s)
21. Nigel Genia (Reds WTS)
22. Nigel Ah Wong (Reds WTS)
23. Tom Banks (Reds Under 20s)

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
keep guessing...

meanwhile, the QLD A team to take on WA A. Glad to see Nigel Ah Wong back in town - as I am sure are Sunnybank. Looks like he's a back here too, or we are going with the old 6-2 split on the bench

He could consider himself a back now?

I knew he was in Samoa for a funeral but must have decided to return to Brisbane.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Can I get some more info on Sam Johnson, the Reds A 12? Age? Prior rep teams? I know he was briefly mentioned a bit earlier in the thread but hes the only name I don't really know.

Reds team looks good. We have very versatile backs starting and on the bench which I like.

T

tranquility

Very good looking A team.. Should be a match for whoever they are playing. UJ injured or just not required?

Status
Not open for further replies.