• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
1. There is no way that CFS can't be considered a starter. I think at this stage it's likely he will play early rounds on the wing.

2. Lets not kid ourselves, if ant Fainga'a wasn't absolutely 100% ready to go he wouldn't be considered for selection. I don't buy this "he's on the comeback trail he starts from the bench" business. He's either fine, and can be considered to start or is no good and should take however much time he needs to get right. All talk is that he is fine, so in my opinion should assume his mantle at 13. The role he plays there for the reds is particularly important.

3. I'll be honest, my opinion of turner at fullback is mixed, his kicking game actually really impressed me in the final trial but I have had nightmares about the easy cover tackle he missed that led to the Rebels easiest try, his counter-attack play was ok but nothing exceptional. Toua and Taulagi both showed more counter-attacking sizzle in 10 and 5 mins respectively than turner did in 40. If toua is healthy, I think he gets first crack, he has earned it. Turner, davies and shipperley all have about equal runs on the board at the reds at the moment (all things considered). 1 of them starts at 14, one on the bench, one misses out.

I suppose we should then consider, how do the brumbies play and what areas of the game can we press our advantage?

They will scrum strongly, compete ferociously at the breakdown and be aggressive in D. On attack you'd expect them to play wider and try use their now good back 3 (plus kuridrani) to take the reds on with power/pace at the edges.

The reds will need to try achieve parity at scrum time and really try beat the brums at their own game around the breakdown. Then they will need to play with extreme speed and accuracy in the offload, because our backs are probably not going to make a lot of breaks through the middle (10-13 for the brums will all be excellent defenders). The reds would also do well to attack the brumbies lineout.

Al things considered, I reckon that leaves us with

1. Holmes
2. Saia
3. Slipper
4. Simmons
5. Horwill (c)
6. Quirk
7. Gill
8. Schatz
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. CFS
12. Harris
13. Ant
14. Turner
15. Toua

16. Hanson
17. Daley
18. Anae or Owen
19. O-donoghue
20. McDuling
21. Lucas
22. Tapuai
23. Shipperley

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not sure he said that did he? I initally didn't pick him because he felt that he needed to do some more work on aspects of his game.

He was left out of the Rugby Championship squad on the basis that McKenzie thought other props were performing better. He was wrong. Picking Sio was not a good choice and he got smashed at scrumtime.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
HTT -

1. Don't not agree with you there. Hence I said that I would start with Harris & Taps. If you take Ant out of the picture the 13 stocks are a little thin........

2. Entirely disagree. I really don't think that Ant is ready. Consider the way that he plays. His tackling and work in defense. He had some major major work on his shoulder and last weeks trial was the first game time he has had since. He was only there for 10 minutes or so, and IMO didn't show that he would be up to a full 80 minute effort. Therefore against the Brumbies I would not start him. I know his role is important but I would sooner have him there in July than have him start this weekend and be back in a sling.

3. I agree with you about Turner at Full back. I would have Toua there is a flash and Taulagi as second choice. But is there enough experience in those two against the Brumbies if you are going to have CFS on one of the wings? A back 3 of Shippers, Turner, and Toua/Taulagi would be good. CFS, Shippers & Turner - alright. CFS, Turner and Toua/Taulagi - would be just a bit green around the gills for the Brumbies. As much as I love JJ & think that he will have full-back nailed down before the end of the year that senario will be throwing him to the wolves in round 1. Same with Toua - even though he has a littl more experience. All things considered this is a good problem to have though....

The scrum I agree with you. I think that it is all going to be a bit of a mystery until things settle and we see how all the pack perform with the new interpretations.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
He was left out of the Rugby Championship squad on the basis that McKenzie thought other props were performing better. He was wrong. Picking Sio was not a good choice and he got smashed at scrumtime.

Not the same as saying that he was 'poor under the new laws'. Just said that he was not performing as well as the others &, and tranquility said, gave him a kick up the bum.

However, this is the Reds thread.....

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
He also thought Benn Robinson would be poor under the new laws and didn't pick him. That wasn't correct.

That said, Anae could be a starting prop for the Reds by the end of the season. They need someone to improve beyond Daley and Holmes' ability if they want to really have a strong scrum.

It certainly wasn't Benn's scrummaging that led to him working the pine. That ability has NEVER been in question !!!!

T

TOCC

He was also dropped by Sir Cheika...
Obviously something was wrong...

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Not true. I remember him being interviewed at the time and he was having to defend his post engagement scrummaging which suggests that it was "in question" due to the new laws.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
There has been a lot of conjecture over who will be the Reds pairing for the centres.
I think CFS has been groomed for the 13. You keep hearing about his potential, but I think the 'powers that be' have decided now is the time he delivered. Athletically he has the goods, and his being in the Wallabies European tour certainly hasn't done him any harm.
Harris has been doing the pre-season yards at 12. His training and play in the trials has been impressive.
The Ant will probably come on at 12 later off the pine, but he needs more fitness before he is on the run-on side.
Tapuai will be the second reserve back, covering both centre positions, as Harris can cover for both fly half or 15.
Don't worry, Cooper will play unless he falls off a ladder changing a light bulb (It's amazing how many rugby personnel damage themselves falling off ladders during the pre-season).

Didnt gatland break both legs ?

Tomikin

David Codey (61)

I dont think it was wrong as such, i think he hoped Sio would have the goods .. he got found out as young and inexperienced.. Not the wrong call as you need to see these things.. I hope Sio takes it as experience and gets better from it (as we all will).. Benn should never have been left out. in my eyes THP should have been (end of last season) Slipper Alexander LHP was Benn R and Sio.. Kepu took over at THP from alexander who seems to sometimes be the best but others not the best..

anyway all over now.. Benn R fighting fit is good for oz rugby... :D

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Reds thread people. Benn Robinson doesn't play for the Reds and Link is no longer the coach.
Sorry being in a convo on a related topic from the conversation flow .. but let me get on track.. Saturday night Brumbies 28 Reds 6 ..like a boss

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

Why are people not picking Browning in their sides?

Probably because some people realise Beau Robinson has a lot to offer. He only played his first game back from injury in the last trial in the Academy game. He's a known quantity so I can see why they'd want to see Browning play and let Beau ease back into contact.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Probably because some people realise Beau Robinson has a lot to offer. He only played his first game back from injury in the last trial in the Academy game. He's a known quantity so I can see why they'd want to see Browning play and let Beau ease back into contact.
Enough said if you dont want robbo the Brumbies will have him

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.