• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Tapuai looks well short of a run. Time is running out for him if he wants to be a regular in the starting side.

With A.Fainga'a a certainty when fully match fit, Harris playing solidly, and CFS a long term option at 13 (playing pretty solid as well), there may not be any room for him long term.

Also, how fucking good was Lachie Turner, awesome buy!

T

tranquility

Yup, if he can stay healthy he will be a terrific player for us. He will also be a terrific example for our young outside backs, and allow us to blood players throughout the season.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
With A.Fainga'a a certainty when fully match fit, Harris playing solidly, and CFS a long term option at 13 (playing pretty solid as well), there may not be any room for him long term.

Harris has a high floor but strictly speak in terms of the 12 jersey, Taps has a far higher ceiling there than any of our other centers.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I though Harris defended really well Sat night, kicked well and his running did a reasonable job of squaring the attack and holding the defence when Quade moved laterally looking for wide options. Didn't get a chance to throw a lot of passes but looked pretty good. Definitely a better than "just ok" or solid performance. For quade to be the 1st choice kicker probably takes away some of Mikey's appeal, but his overall performance I think warrants more time there. Taps I thought tried, but his lack of top end speed really becomes apparent when he plays at 13. His footwork is really good but he just doesn't have the express pace you need (after the initial acceleration) to open up space on the outside shoulder and make yards there or set up the winger. For example, if the wide pass for Toua's try had hit taps in the same position, it's unlikely the try would have been scored. Every time he plays there it reaffirms my belief that he is a 12 who's providing a band-aid solution. I suppose you could make the same speed argument about FTA, but he brings other qualities defensively that sort of make 13 work for him.

For me, it is a straight choice between mikey and taps for the 12 jersey and should be based on form and/or injury status. Likewise it is a straight choice between FTA and CFS for the 13 jersey. I like FTA there because he's not to shabby of a ball runner in attack and his presence on the field adds immeasurably to the reds (admittedly already impressive) defence. CFS should be playing on one wing and Toua played ok (after a wobbly start). Turner deserves to extend his run after such a bright start. He really is capable of giving us exactly what we need there, experience and stability on the end of a young and outrageously talented back line. He'll communicate well with Aidan and help him out, and can still do a pretty bloody good job of sniffing out a try. He's also apparently the consummate professional, so a good man to have around the team.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Quick question on membership I'm getting a non-ticketed membership - ticketek appears to be saying that gets me a discount on game day? Is this true?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yes.

Reds tis.JPG

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Not sure if any of you remember this: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/analyzing-the-waratahs-2013-attacking-structures/

Interest in me doing this for the Reds? Will need a few more games to be played to have a better sampling of things and I'll cover both sides of the ball.

Somewhat related, expect a bit of a magnum opus near the end of the season regarding the Reds' play and where they should look moving forward.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Not sure if any of you remember this: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/analyzing-the-waratahs-2013-attacking-structures/

Interest in me doing this for the Reds? Will need a few more games to be played to have a better sampling of things and I'll cover both sides of the ball.

Somewhat related, expect a bit of a magnum opus near the end of the season regarding the Reds' play and where they should look moving forward.

That post is one of the better analyses that you'll never see in a newspaper article. An absolute cracker! We haven't seen enough yet to know if the Tahs have made any changes for this year, but I suspect its substantially the same because they have focused a lot of their work on the breakdown in the pre-season and that's one area that has to be very good under this attacking system. If you've only got two supporters for the ball carrier then the ruck work needs to be forceful and accurate.

It will be very interesting to see your take on the Reds, I wasn't particularly impressed last week but it was a tough match and first up. Looking forward to it.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
To digress briefly to the Tahs, I thought their major flaw last week was a lack of patience. They tried to force (haha! geddit?) passes that were not on too early, including one that led to Godwin's try.

Using their big forward pack to rumble up a few channels wide of the ruck then spread. If it's not on, recycle and go again. At the moment they instead seem to want to do the miracle play, particularly Beale.

Reds had a few issues in the last game for me. Discipline and clearing their own half were the major ones. I'd also like to see a few more changes of directions and inside balls. The timing of Quade's short passing game was slightly off with a few forward; hopefully that's an early season issue. Finally, as @USARugger said, the Brumbies exploited the Reds lack of manning up down the short side a few sides.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
That first try though reminded me of Herbert's try in the 2001 Lions test, I think it was the third one.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
It will be very interesting to see your take on the Reds, I wasn't particularly impressed last week but it was a tough match and first up. Looking forward to it.

Structure/Pattern analysis will be pretty objective. End of the season review expect my opinion based on the stats/footage.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Fantastic odds of $2.75 for a Reds win tonight.
I've had a little dabble. I figure I'd be more pissed off with them losing tonight anyway than be fretting about the lost money (but I am confident).
It seems to me what a lot of people have forgotten from last week-end was that the Brumbies were a much fiercer side than the Western Force in their respective games, hence the Tahs were made to look quite a bit better, so hence the odds.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah I got on that too Emu. Chuck them in with the Lions (paying $3.50) and that's a good value multi right there!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.