• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Greg Growden's verdict: Some provinces have gone all out during the off-season to lure whatever talent is available; some have sat on their hands. The most unimpressive recruiters of the Australian provinces were the Reds, whose only signing of note is winger Lachie Turner from the Waratahs. Turner is a reasonable player, but he needs to be surrounded by numerous other important new faces for Reds fans to believe a return to the glory days of 2011 will happen. This is the year when the Reds will discover whether they can survive without Ewen McKenzie, the coach who resurrected the franchise. Their new coach, Richard Graham, doesn't have the same profile, and it will be interesting to see whether he can revitalise a team given its head by McKenzie. There have been strong whispers for some time that Graham and Reds No.10 Quade Cooper aren't exactly bosom buddies, so it will be up to the coach to embrace the playmaker; a dreadful season could be in the offing if he doesn't, as so much at the Reds revolves around their No 10. This could be the year when the Reds find themselves on a slippery slide, especially if they suffer another season when actual try scoring becomes a problem. the Reds were hardly the great entertainers in 2013; from scoring 45 tries in the season they won the title, last year they slumped to just 31.
Tip: Third in Australian Conference. Finish: Ninth.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
When Greg Growden goes fishing in Queensland, he doesn't even need to throw out a line.

Silver_Carp_Jumping_07_JPG-e1349905019965.jpg

The fish can't help but just jump in the boat.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I may or may not have bitten at that article from him yesterday. He shits me.

As I said to him & his editor - People have a go at the Reds for not recruiting well. No, they just don't bring in many high profile players. They make them.

I have no issue with the way that the Reds have recruited. I am hoping that this does not change under Richard Graham and that developement of players remains the priority rather then paying for players from other teams, countries or codes. I understand why some franchises have to recruit this way, but I don't understand why the Tahs feel they need to. (There I said it.) If they are 'rebuilding' then they should have a team full of unknowns like the Reds a few years ago when we were rebuilding to win the championship.

Rant over. Reds are also doing to win the Australian conference. So :p

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
All that article needs is an undefeated prediction for the tahs and it would be complete. Sounds like total hyperbole to me, Ohhhh you had an average attack last year and someone who is no one told me that quade and graham don't get along. Clearly a gee up

The Tah's one all but had that prediction.......

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I like the fact that our squad is so settled. From my point of view we didn't need to bring in new talent because we have plenty of good hungry young players already in the ranks. The only position I could see us possibly wanting to sign would be another second rower, but only cause I worry about the workload that will be on Horwill/Simmons shoulders.

No surprise he has predicted the Tahs to top the conference.

Fuck you Grumbles.

Superlatives aside, the Aus conference this year is shaping up to be a cracker. Not much between the Tahs/Brumbies/Reds. each have strong squads capable of topping the conference. Even the Rebels will be looking to upset the applecart this season.

T

Train Without a Station

Reds have astutely recruited ever since Link began his tenure.

Radike Samo, Beau Robinson, Adam Wallace Harrison, Mike Harris previously, and hopefully Lachie Turner have all been examples of this who have managed to provide a lot to the team, without requiring excessive contracts to bring them to Ballymore.

These "diamonds in the rough" though, aren't just laying around everywhere. Prior to the 2011 season we managed to pick up the first 3. Turner has probably been the next quality player to come along at a good price since.

What also needs to be considered is the fact that these types of players came for the opportunity. In a settle, reasonably successful environment there will be less opportunity. I would have said both Zack Holmes and Colby Fainga'a would have been great acquisitions, but with 7 and 10 secured by current Wallabies, I can't see these players leaving to at best play second fiddle somewhere else on the bench, and at worst, being 3rd string options behind Beau Robinson and Mike Harris/Ben Lucas.

It would be great to perhaps pick up a prop or 8, but who's out there that fits into the Reds recruitment strategy or finding players willing to buy into the culture and are good value?

T

Train Without a Station

I wouldn't agree with that. That sort of view breeds complacency. The Reds should always be looking for the best quality recruits, regardless of where they come from.

However, running around looking for big name, big $$$ recruits is a strategy we have tried to avoid and been successful with. Our highest earners have been home grown talent.

If Ita Vaea for example, recovers from his health issues, but finds himself behind Fotu, Fardy, Pocock and anybody else in a years time, I'd love for the Reds to pick him up, at the likely reasonable market value.

"Poaching" players though, I wouldn't.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think this year we will see just how much Link brought to QLD.

He had a remarkable skill and making okay players into a quality team.

T

tranquility

The QLD development pathways and junior rugby is as good as anywhere in the world. Fact. By recruiting players who are legitimately keen to play for QLD it is easier to retain and keep salaries down. Fact. By not bringing in hoards of players from interstate, we do not dilute the jersey. Fact.

I think QLD is probably the only team in the country that has a legitimate state pride and pathway system associated to the jersey.

NSW has incredible amounts of talent, but they have always been so willing to splash out and buy top end players, that you could be forgiven for feeling as if you are supporting a team of mercenaries.

Canberra produces very good rugby players, but not in the amount to be self-sufficient. Therefor they rely on off-cuts and good recruiting to prosper.
The Brumbies however have built a very attractive program that has attracted players for their renowned development. Or the Wallabies machine as it has been referred to in the past.

Even still, players like Curtis Browning and Ed Quirk will never leave QLD. I don't think other states have that loyalty, and it's something worth protecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.