• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Agreed its more about the preparation rather then just purely the age.. I would say its more of a dig at the National Academy which focuses on the 17-20yr old age bracket which may work if those players were actually training with the relevant team and learning the teams strategies etc

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Before the natonal academy the Reds academy guys trained with the Reds. They knew the calls and the plays and slotted straight in. Now even though the National Academy has a Brisbane franchise they aren't allowed to train with the Reds and since they could go to any province it wouldn't be prudent. Ewen dislikes the fact he doesn't have ready made replacements and has moved to replace what he had before. Good on him! I wonder what the ARU thinks?

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
how many young guys who were in the National Academy got used last year and who now has a contract with a super club be that EPS or full?

T

TOCC

The national academy was part of a cost cutting exercise, the ARU are probably happy that they are now getting the same result for less the cost with the added expense now been shouldered by the QRU.

T

TOCC

how many young guys who were in the National Academy got used last year and who now has a contract with a super club be that EPS or full?

I don't think super rugby caps is a measure of success, these guys are 17-20yrs old.. Give it 2 years and then assess how many have graduated to super rugby contracts.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Sam Lane and Jarrd Butler got used

Jed Holloway, Jordy Reid, Same Lane, Tom English, Trent Dyer, Matt Lucas have EPS contracts

I just went through GAGR's initial list so there could be more

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Reds 30 now confirmed, so now it's just the EPS to be announced. You would have to think Enever and Butler would be two of the five.

T

TOCC

People may be confusing the academy squad with the EPS.. But I guess we will find out.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I expect Malouf, Browning and Placid will be involved in some form next year. Maybe a couple of other uni forwards as well. In the club rugby thread people are mentioning Rex Tapuai, Dion Taumata and Nigal Ah Wong as well.

What is the point of having an ARU academy in brisbane if the reds have a separate academy. They might as well close it down and split the money between melbourne, perth and canberra.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Reds don't have a separate academy, I think Ewen is talking about unpaid people training with the club, ie. Beau Robinson in 2011.

Probably hook them up with jobs like Beau.

T

tranquility

That McMahon bloke too? No-one has picked up Cusack for next season either, have they?

T

TOCC

The Reds don't have a separate academy, I think Ewen is talking about unpaid people training with the club, ie. Beau Robinson in 2011.

Probably hook them up with jobs like Beau.

Is that not an 'academy' of sorts?
You are right, they will be unpaid..
The concept is similar to the old Reds College, they will train with the squad, receive all the kit, access to the facilities, get all the supplements protein etc.

I know a couple of blokes in it, one is a talented forward who is vertically challenged. He seems pretty excited about the concept and the opportunities it may offer.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
The concept is similar to the old Reds College, they will train with the squad, receive all the kit, access to the facilities, get all the supplements protein etc.

I know a couple of blokes in if, one is a talented forward who is vertically challenged. He seems pretty excited about the concept and the opportunities it may offer.

That actually sounds amazing. I mean obviously you would have to already be dedicated/gifted to a degree to make it into the program to begin with but for these young guys who got overlooked at some point this is an incredible opportunity. Speaking from the perspective of someone playing in the upper-tier of college rugby in the USA where we get no scholarships, have little/no athletic support from the university in any way (we have one part time trainer, no access to varsity gym facilities during the school year, and are paying out of pocket for our own supplements and dietary needs which can get very expensive very quickly). Ironically, we have been the most successful sports team here or in the top three every year since my first year. To have those things taken care of and be able to take part in that level of training is making me salivate just thinking about it.

The free kit would be pretty nice too! ;)

TLDR; this is an incredible thing the Reds are doing for young players

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

I know a couple of blokes in it, one is a talented forward who is vertically challenged. He seems pretty excited about the concept and the opportunities it may offer.
There is a lot to be said for training without a wage and having to actually have a job to support your way through training. It breeds a hunger that you cant get if you get everything given to you on a plate the day you complete high school.
I think this is what made Robinson better before he got his contract, compared to after it, before he got his contract he was an animal with no care for his own safety or well being, he was fighting for his dream. Lets hope this passion can be recreated. (but since I want absolutely no injuries this year then I guess I also hope it doesn't:) )

T

TOCC

It's not a case of the Reds trying to compete with the ARU.. The ARU's national academy has different priorities and focuses on the 17-20yr old bracket development..

This new Reds Academy will have a higher average age and is more aimed at providing an extension of the Reds squad of physically and mentally mature players.. Something the NTS doesn't offer.

Think of blokes like Rex Tapuai who has showed very good potential at club level but are too old for the ARU National Talent Squad..

*Rex Tapuai was purely an example

Status
Not open for further replies.