• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Reckon he deserves a start for the Reds next year? I do, I think he's more rounded that Fainga'a who's a very impressive grass-cutter but not much else.
I say no, I would not start him, but I am a Huge Fainga'a fan, so I am biased.

My main focus would be to have both Fainga'a's on the field whenever Gill is on the field. Their tackling methods allow for better pilfering. If Gill does not start the let Hanson have a crack

C

Cakeboy

If I'm not mistaken (and I very well could be) if you were to use the backline Jets mention it would leave the following players that would make a backline of:
9 Frisbee
10 Lucas
11 Davies
12 Lance
13 CFS
14 ? I know I'm missing someone
15 Morahan

That's a fairly decent backline in itself.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
If I'm not mistaken (and I very well could be) if you were to use the backline Jets mention it would leave the following players that would make a backline of:
9 Frisbee
10 Lucas
11 Davies
12 Lance
13 CFS
14 ? Toua
15 Morahan

That's a fairly decent backline in itself.
Good lineup

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Isn't Chris F'Sautia still in the Reds program? (He's injured though, correct?)
Chris Feauai-Sautia = CFS above and in the squad.

Don't know injury status. He's had a couple of hamstring problems in the last two years but I'd still assume he'd be fit for next season.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I say no, I would not start him, but I am a Huge Fainga'a fan, so I am biased.

My main focus would be to have both Fainga'a's on the field whenever Gill is on the field. Their tackling methods allow for better pilfering. If Gill does not start the let Hanson have a crack

I agree, that the finger start but they are thieves in their own right, add Beau to the thief mix, that's 4 decent stealing bastards at the break down.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Isn't Chris F'Sautia still in the Reds program? (He's injured though, correct?)

He will continue the proud tradition of recent Wallabies (I'm sure he will be one in the next few years) in always being known by a three letter acronym.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor)
FTA
FTS

and CFS

and this season we even see the return of MMM.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Chris Feauai-Sautia = CFS above and in the squad.

Don't know injury status. He's had a couple of hamstring problems in the last two years but I'd still assume he'd be fit for next season.

Thank you for that. Hopefully he stays/gets healthy for this season, could be a big breakout for him and Morahan I think. It would be nice to see someone pushing Finger out of the 13 jersey anyway, great guy but he is a serious liability on attack **(although his defense is impressive for his size). At the least CFS could keep Shipperly/Diggers fighting for their spots! Even with the try in Rosario, Diggers is still pretty out of form compared to 2010/11. Maybe the intra-squad competition could help him elevate his game again.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Thank you for that. Hopefully he stays/gets healthy for this season, could be a big breakout for him and Morahan I think. It would be nice to see someone pushing Finger out of the 13 jersey anyway, great guy but he is a serious liability on attack **(although his defense is impressive for his size). At the least CFS could keep Shipperly/Diggers fighting for their spots! Even with the try in Rosario, Diggers is still pretty out of form compared to 2010/11. Maybe the intra-squad competition could help him elevate his game again.

The issue for Digby is that he was not that long ago regarded by some as one of the best wingers in the world. With that accolade comes analysis of your strengths and weaknesses, attacking patterns and defensive techniques etc. In other words, they work you out and shut you down. If you don't evolve, then your form suffers.

He does better with more space and less organised defence (as he should) al la S15 but even his S15 season was a bit quiet. Some of that could be put down to the loss of Quade too. If we can get Quade, Sanchez and Digby to string some games together for the Reds next year it will hopefully reignite him a bit!

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
The issue for Digby is that he was not that long ago regarded by some as one of the best wingers in the world. With that accolade comes analysis of your strengths and weaknesses, attacking patterns and defensive techniques etc. In other words, they work you out and shut you down. If you don't evolve, then your form suffers.

He does better with more space and less organised defence (as he should) al la S15 but even his S15 season was a bit quiet. Some of that could be put down to the loss of Quade too. If we can get Quade, Sanchez and Digby to string some games together for the Reds next year it will hopefully reignite him a bit!

Agree 100%, another factor that has never worked in Digby's favor is the fact that he is an extremely one-dimensional player. While he was amazingly good at what he did (breaking the line, shedding/dragging tacklers, and finishing on first-phase moves) his entire game is power based and in the grand scheme of things that makes him much easier for teams to plan towards defending. It's actually extremely reminiscent of how the Saffas worked out how to shut down Lomu.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
For sure. I noticed in TRC the Argies stared chopping him down at his ankles. For some reason, teams generally went high in tackles against Digby and he could shrug/bounce them off. As soon as the Argies started hitting him around the ankles he toppled straight away. He didn't have the balance to stay on his feet. It's as if this is his. . . . achilles heel! :rolleyes: God that's terrible!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

The issue with Digby is that he is now heavily marked and the only real threat Aus has with all the wounded

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Hanson to start and Fainga'a off the bench is the way I would go. Hanson is more consistent and seems to relish being in tight. Saia can come on at the end and lift the players around him with his grass cuts and play like an extra 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.