• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
So with the depth we have, I think there is only a couple of positions up for grabs.

• Wallace-Harrison or Rob Simmons to partner Horwill
• Who joins Gill and Shatz in the backrow? Samo, Quirk or Robinson?
• With Tapuai and Fainga'a as the teams best center pairing where do we put Harris? Do we sacrafice Morahan at 15 for him, or do we take a chance on Cooper's goal kicking?
• Which Wallaby is our best hooker, Fainga'a or Chibba?
• How long untill F'Sautia is breathing down Shipperely's neck for a starting spot?

Thoughts?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Re Hanson and Fainga'a - I say Start which ever one is in the Better form. If they're both in good form then rotate them or play the best one for the team we're up against. Blanket statement suggesting your favourite don't really stand up in a long rugby season.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
So with the depth we have, I think there is only a couple of positions up for grabs.

There's no reason both won't get a run.

Robinson played most of last year on 1 leg. If he's recovered Schatz may be looking over his shoulder. Samo Has another year in him. Quirk still hasn't shown what he's made of but he can't be far away.
To close to call
• With Tapuai and Fainga'a as the teams best center pairing where do we put Harris? Do we sacrifice Morahan at 15 for him, or do we take a chance on Cooper's goal kicking
With Fainga'a You know what you get while Morahan's form can be up and down. Harris is making a better go at fullback this time than I expected. I've always thought of him as a 12. It's hard to call and I'm glad I don't need to.
• How long untill F'Sautia is breathing down Shipperely's neck for a starting spot?
He needs to stay fit to knock Shipperley out

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
As was proven by this year's lengthy S15 season, & the high number of injuries, you really need to have two players competent to run onto any position. So for instance you need Shipperly/CFS for one wing & Ioane/ Davies for the other.
And as much as he might not like it, Ginea/Frisbee alternating occasionally. If you don't, you run the risk of having an un match fit player not really combining well at a crucial position/stage in the season.
It would be interesting to see a pairing for the whole team, wherever possible - especially with only 29 there - so who will be no 30?

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Well, I wish he would be wearing Red, but he's a great signing for the Force & fantastic to see him back in Australia. Hope to see him push for a Wallabies jumper.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Thank you for that. Hopefully he stays/gets healthy for this season, could be a big breakout for him and Morahan I think. It would be nice to see someone pushing Finger out of the 13 jersey anyway, great guy but he is a serious liability on attack **(although his defense is impressive for his size). At the least CFS could keep Shipperly/Diggers fighting for their spots! Even with the try in Rosario, Diggers is still pretty out of form compared to 2010/11. Maybe the intra-squad competition could help him elevate his game again.
I think that Anthony adds a lot to the attack, but this is through the old "the best form of attack is a good defence". He is the starting point of a lot of our attack, due to his ability to set up a turnover. That being said, I see no reason why a player with CFS' size cant replace him if he works hard and I would specifically work on his defence. We know that CFS has an attacking flair that would be generally better than FTA but I would not replace FTA until his replacement is as good in defence or better.

It would be strange to watch the reds and not hear screaming coming from the centres

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I think that Anthony adds a lot to the attack, but this is through the old "the best form of attack is a good defence". He is the starting point of a lot of our attack, due to his ability to set up a turnover. That being said, I see no reason why a player with CFS' size cant replace him if he works hard and I would specifically work on his defence. We know that CFS has an attacking flair that would be generally better than FTA but I would not replace FTA until his replacement is as good in defence or better.

It would be strange to watch the reds and not hear screaming coming from the centres

Something interesting I saw the other day - CFS is only listed at 88kg on Wiki and on ESPN. Anyone have any clue how much he is weighing in at now?? I'm assuming those stats have to be outdated because he sure as hell didn't look like he weighs less than Quade Cooper when he ran on this past year.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)

It's funny isn't it. I love hearing the shrieking coming from Ant, but the banshee like shrieking coming from Aaron Smith (I think it's him) when the AB's play just grates me!

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)

• With Tapuai and Fainga'a as the teams best center pairing where do we put Harris? Do we sacrafice Morahan at 15 for him, or do we take a chance on Cooper's goal kicking?

Thoughts?

1. Simmons to partner Horwill I reckon, with AWH to come on for the last 15. Happy to see them both fight for it though.
2. I reckon it will be Schatz-Gill-Robinson to start with but I reckon that back row is a bit light on. Not sure how much Radike really has left in the tank. This would be a great time for Quirk to really step up.
3. Agreed that Taps and AF should be the centres. Although I didn't mind Harris at 12, that would mean AF has to go out of the starting team which I really don't like. He brings so much to the team. I reckon Harris should play at 15 and try and make a real fist of it. If he can work his ass off on becoming safe under the high ball I'd be really happy with him there.
4. Chibba but I hope SF is driven by the competition and steps up.
5. I reckon Ships should be safe for a while yet. He's a great player, reminds me a bit of Hynes in that last year or so before injury. Runs fast, works hard and is just generally a good player. Doesnt possess the flashiness of other wingers but jeez I'm happy to have him. CFS will push him and should get a go occasionally but Ships will still be the default I reckon.

So I reckon you'd be looking at:

1. Daley/Holmes
2. Chibba
3. Slipper
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Robinson/Quirk
7. Gill
8. Schatz
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Digby
12. Taps
13. AF
14. Ships
15. Harris

16. Daley/Holmes
17. SF
18. AWH
19. Quirk/Robinson
20. Samo
21. Lucas
22. Morahan

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There is no doubt Higgers is a massive player in Super Rugby.

He's getting better in test rugby but certainly he's been a standout in Super Rugby for the last couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.