• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't like the phrase "at least 6 months" o_O

But in all seriousness, it's not as devestating as losing him during preseason or something like that. Frisby or Lucas will have time to form thier combination with Quade well before we kick off.

Actually there's a thing. Everyone was saying that Lucas would be dirty after he re-signed with the Reds on the announcement that Genia was heading west only to find that he wasn't going anywhere. Now the question needs to be asked, who is our next best #9, Lucas or Frisby?

T

TOCC

Its difficult to assess the success of surgery like this until a few weeks later when a large portion of the swelling has gone down..
I would prefer to see Frisby retained as the starting 9, i think Lucas is more at home in the 5/8 or fullback position now.

At least it allows Ewen some time to look at bringing an extra halfback into the academy to provide some extra depth.

T

tranquility

He might be back in 6 months, but he wont be anywhere near full fitness or abilities for about 14 months. ACL is one of if not the most feared injury in sport (barring of course spinal injuries). Look at QC (Quade Cooper) and Benn Robinson at the moment. Justin Hodges also had one early in his career and he played about a year and a half of really poor football before he got his strength and agility back.

T

TOCC

yeah true, so whichever halfback is chosen to replace Genia can realistically be expected to remain the starting halfback until at least about 3/4 of the way through the season....

Wouldnt be surprised to see him brought back in a similar fashion to Quade in 2012.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I think they are better placed to cover Genia than they were Cooper. Barring the sort of injury curse that hit the 10 jersey and inside backs last year they should be travelling well and be able to ease him back. Will need to see the draw to see how much he will be missed. Reds to still top the conference.

Hairy Test Eagle

Ward Prentice (10)
It tends to be a lot easier to find a halfback then a fly half in the junior ranks. I hope Frisby gets the job, he's a lot quicker to the ball and likes to give the game pace.

T

tranquility

Frisby is such a good prospect, I feel we will probably only hold onto him for a few more seasons before he heads to another franchise for a starting birth.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
It's being reported today in the Courier Mail that the Reds have the biggest average home crowd of any football team in Queensland.

T

TOCC

Yeah that's the article qwerty just posted...

The key is consistency, drawing massive crowds year in and year out

T

TOCC

The lucky thing for Frisby is that he will be coming into a relatively experienced backline and has a fairly experienced forward pack in front of him as well..

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Also they should have a fully fit Quade to guide them around the field. Frisby improved a lot in the 2012 season and it will be good for the Reds to have both him and Lucas as options at 9. You would think another 9 would be need to be drawn into the EPS or the talked about Reds Academy for 2013.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
But who? There really isn't many good young 9's going around in the premier competition. Maloua (?) is one of the few in the National Academy who has looked pretty good, but being bumped back to First Grade a few weeks ago doesn't really bode well. Matt Lucas has gone to the Tahs, he would of been the best choice. You then have Dave Campbell and Dom Fuller, who are probably too old and just not good enough to make the step up to Super Rugby.

I think we will have to look elsewhere to get another halfback.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I reckon they'll give Scott Maloloua the gig, they have already invested a bit of time into him (he played in that Reds scratch match they had against the Hurricanes) and is still very young (18) and raw so can be developed. I don't think form slump is a problem Tigerland, he actually got injured a few months ago and they didn't want to rush him back. On the weekend for GPS against Sunnybank he played around 15mins at the end, scored a try and had a hand in another with quick service so he has been playing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.