• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Quade is our 10, let's keep him at 10 so other players can focus specifically on their role...

Yes counterattacking is done better when quades at 15... However, our ability to attack from turnover ball is boosted when Quade is defending from 5/8, he is positioned better to act quickly and given we have Liam Gill the leading player in turnovers, it makes sense

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I read what you're saying and know it makes some sense, but when it comes to Quade Cooper what makes sense and what actually happens are often mutually exclusive.

T

TOCC

Furthermore opposition teams can control when they kick to the fullback, if you have a strong back 3 they can mitigate the counterattack threat by changing their kicking game....

However there isn't much you can do to really impact on the ability to prevent turnover ball, I think the Reds are more threatening with Quade defending and subsequently attacking from 5/8..

Morahan/Shipperly/CFS/Ioane have awesome counter-attacking(running game) potential as it is, it's not as though we are losing that ability.

It would also Improve the wallaby selection chances of Morahan(or whoevers playing 15) and boost the credibility of Quade by defending his own chanel.

A

AlexH

Quade has missed a fair few tackle in The Rugby Championship defending at flyhalf. We will continue to see alot of traffic and missed tackles in his channel as just about every team will identify this as a weakness. TOCC and a few others have pointed out the benefit of having him defend at flyhalf but I think he needs to lift his defensive game up another couple of notches before we get to point where the benefit of having him in the front line for turnover ball outweighs the liability of having him defend there.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Furthermore opposition teams can control when they kick to the fullback, if you have a strong back 3 they can mitigate the counterattack threat by changing their kicking game..

Correct, by having QC (Quade Cooper) defending at the back you are forcing the opposition to remove their ability to gain territory through kicking. I would counter that this is a big positive to having QC (Quade Cooper) at the back. Forcing the opposition to change their tactics is an indication that your team is in control of the game.

However there isn't much you can do to really impact on the ability to prevent turnover ball, I think the Reds are more threatening with Quade defending and subsequently attacking from 5/8..

This could be true. I don't know because I haven't seen this occur often *enough* (compared to QC (Quade Cooper) returns where he has demonstrated repeatedly counter attacking from the rear).

Morahan/Shipperly/CFS/Ioane have awesome counter-attacking(running game) potential as it is, it's not as though we are losing that ability.

Agreed, sort of. I think they have the potential, and perhaps they need the chance with QC (Quade Cooper) not back there in order to shine.

It would also Improve the wallaby selection chances of Morahan(or whoevers playing 15) and boost the credibility of Quade by defending his own chanel.

I have nothing to comment about that.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
TOCC and a few others have pointed out the benefit of having him defend at flyhalf but I think he needs to lift his defensive game up another couple of notches before we get to point where the benefit of having him in the front line for turnover ball outweighs the liability of having him defend there.

If he does, it would be great. He would need to lift a lot of notches though.

He can tackle, he just seems to not want to some times. His reading in defense is very strong as well, so maybe that's why he pulls away or goes for the steal instead. I don't know.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If he does, it would be great. He would need to lift a lot of notches though.

He can tackle, he just seems to not want to some times. His reading in defense is very strong as well, so maybe that's why he pulls away or goes for the steal instead. I don't know.

To me, it is Campo disease, he wants to always stay in play. Not do the dog work.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Quade has missed a fair few tackle in The Rugby Championship defending at flyhalf. We will continue to see alot of traffic and missed tackles in his channel as just about every team will identify this as a weakness. TOCC and a few others have pointed out the benefit of having him defend at flyhalf but I think he needs to lift his defensive game up another couple of notches before we get to point where the benefit of having him in the front line for turnover ball outweighs the liability of having him defend there.

Do you have stats on this? Just from my own eyes & memory I don't recall Cooper missing many tackles at all.

A

AlexH

Do you have stats on this? Just from my own eyes & memory I don't recall Cooper missing many tackles at all.

Foxsports website had him at seven tackles and two misses against South Africa last weekend.

I counted three misses on the night.

I have no stats on hand from previous games.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Well thats a hell of an improvement from last year, at least he's completing more than he misses now. He also made at least one try saver last week.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I count 5 guys that had a worse tackle count than Cooper. One of them is AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) The star tackler of the night. Even if they were high.
Book1.jpg

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Wow hooper, sharpe and Timani work hard. Need more of this. All our pack should be 10+

Where are we meant to materialise these tackles from? I agree there should be a more even spread but I mean it's not like anyone made an outlandish amount.

T

TOCC

Reference that statute/art-work to be built at Suncorp recognizing Queensland rugby... Any renders or further details of what it may look like/located, time-frame etc

MrTimms, RugbyReg?

T

TOCC

Horwill reported he might be back for the EOYT... Either way that's good news for the reds with a full pre-season under his belt

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Horwill reported he might be back for the EOYT. Either way that's good news for the reds with a full pre-season under his belt

Very good news, hopefully the boys will be conditioned well enough to get through 2013 like they did in 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.