• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Yep, damn them, they never helped anyone out especially not QLD.

I heard a rumor all academy's will return in 2014 after the finances are sorted again after the world cup hit.

They sort of already have returned, every franchise fielded a small non-ARU academy this year. I'm might make a new thread about it.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Anyone watching UJ at the U20 world cup? With a bit of work on his positioning he could be a real handful at 15. His kicking is probably only second to Gerrard in terms of power and accuracy, maybe Link saw something none of us did. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the Reds' permanent #15 in a year or two.
It's funny, but I was particularly disappointed with his performance, I saw him against Samoa as well when he failed to shine.
He just looks like he was always bigger than his opponents, and expects size and strength will get him through tackles, but you need to do more as the standard improves.
But better judges than me rate him, so no doubt he will have me eating my words in a year or so.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I tend to agree with you on UJ, I really haven't seen him do anything of note. BUT we must remember the kid is straight out of high school, in which he didn't play a game in his final year due to injury. He is a 10 aswell and not a 15. Time will tell, he just needs more gameplay.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
So apart from Higgers going andVan retiring the Reds squad for 2013 will look pretty much as it does this year. That is a magnificent effort by management to retain so many big guns. Be interesting to see who is in the EPS next year. I'm thinking Lane, Butler and Enever would have to be a chance, if not the main squad.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Its just not a good system for growing rugby, and it is not fair on the brumbies, rebels and force.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Its just not a good system for growing rugby, and it is not fair on the brumbies, rebels and force.

It is tough for those provinces to exert their culture on players they only maybe could have. Dumb idea, it weakens the provinces.

T

TOCC

In all seriousness though, the Tapuai re-signing is great news and another endorsement in the Reds current set-up.

Who else do we need to re-sign, Shipperly and Hanson are the only two other necessities.

I remember reading Wayne Bennets biography on how he made the Broncos a successful club, one aspect was player recruitment and retention, he had a target player turnover rate of 20% each year to ensure fresh blood and a competitive edge was been given to the team.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
There's nothing worse than complacency and playing the same guys over and over again, this is where Link has done a particularly good job. Even with the loss of Higginbotham we're covered with Schatz and Quirk. Losing a starting Wallaby hurts, but at least we've got talent to develop in that area.

W

What2040

There's nothing worse than complacency and playing the same guys over and over again, this is where Link has done a particularly good job. Even with the loss of Higginbotham we're covered with Schatz and Quirk. Losing a starting Wallaby hurts, but at least we've got talent to develop in that area.

Agree but it sort of seems unfair to a Franchise that a young fella is nurtured and developed into a wallaby and probably the best forward in OZ today has to be let go because of the "cap" and then the franchise has to rely on the development of more young guys (suppose that is a bonus as well for rugby in general).

Maybe there should be a relaxation of the "cap' in resopect of the higher profile Wallaby players who are developed by a franchise AND remain. Just a thought

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Its unfair, but it happens all the time. Look at the Broncos, it seems like half the good players in the NRL got their start with the Broncs.

T

TOCC

It's not unfair, having a backlog of talent in one team does not ensure a successful team.. Aka Waratahs 2002-2008 where over half the Wallaby side was wearing light blue.

If you want Australia to have 5 Super Rugby teams filled with Aussie talent, this is the only mean of a fair playing field.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think it's fair, it's better all round for Australian rugby. I look forward to seeing the Rebels as a finals challenger in the coming years.

I'm just amazed we have managed to keep Quade, Genia and Taps. Means alot of other players must of accepted limited offers for us to stay under the cap.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think there needs to be some type of transfer payment to the original team. Say if Higgers went to Melbourne for $500k, then give the Reds $50k (10%). This is to cover some training and recruitment expenses for a replacement.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
There are salary cap setups in other leagues (the NBA comes to mind) where teams can bend the rules a little bit and go over the caps if it is for player retention rather than recruitment. I believe there are also some exemptions made if a player has been with a franchise for at least x amount of years and thus gives them more freedom when negotiating new contracts and they get loyalty bonuses provided by the governing body. This would benefit teams who have nurtured the players from a young age and stuck with them, however, the argument can be made that only a few teams (Reds and Tahs) will really see major benefits as they have the larger pool of young players to choose from.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
There are salary cap setups in other leagues (the NBA comes to mind) where teams can bend the rules a little bit and go over the caps if it is for player retention rather than recruitment. I believe there are also some exemptions made if a player has been with a franchise for at least x amount of years and thus gives them more freedom when negotiating new contracts and they get loyalty bonuses provided by the governing body. This would benefit teams who have nurtured the players from a young age and stuck with them, however, the argument can be made that only a few teams (Reds and Tahs) will really see major benefits as they have the larger pool of young players to choose from.
The difference with these leagues that use systems like this is that they almost all use a Draft system. So when teams bottom out they get first crack at the best young juniors so that in years to come they will again be competitive.

Leagues like AFL use a Veteran List system where when a player has played 10 years for the same club only half there contract is under the salary cap so not to drive top players away from clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.