• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

for all the same reasons he couldn't play at that level in the NRL plus more.

His profile says 82kg, he would be lucky to be in the 80's, his defence is very very average and he is a rugby league winger converting to union...
He might have gone ok at premier grade, but Dallan murphy looks like a defensive stalwart at premier grade as well

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Whether or not he is up to Super rugby, if that was his first ever game of 15 a side it was a damned impressive debut, and I didn't see anything glaringly weak about his defence. Maybe his time on the 7's circuit has developed him to the extent that he may be a decent 15 a side player? He does have that one attribute that you cant coach...blinding speed.

T

TOCC

Whether or not he is up to Super rugby, if that was his first ever game of 15 a side it was a damned impressive debut, and I didn't see anything glaringly weak about his defence. Maybe his time on the 7's circuit has developed him to the extent that he may be a decent 15 a side player? He does have that one attribute that you cant coach.blinding speed.

His qualities seem remarkably similar to the of Rodney Davies.. Why would Davies then be released(whom has had years invested into developing his rugby union skills) only to sign Walker...

The debate seems silly... First preference is to keep Shippperly and F'Sautia, second preference is to retain Davies... If none of those players are able to be retained then maybe you look at someone like Shannon Walker.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
No debate, just the usual conjecture put up in forums. Walker has only played one game of 15 a side, so has plenty yet to prove. All those you mention have been retained so the point is probably moot.

The real point of my comments is that he had a great debut. I look forward to seeing how he develops as opposed to writing him off because of shortcomings that he might have displayed as a very young guy in league.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
TOCC no debate, just you declining to accept that quite a few of us have seen something there, speaking of which did you watch him on the weekend or for that matter seen many of his 7's games? If not then your judgment on previous viewings in a different sport may not back up your reluctance to consider other view points. Bit negative mate

T

TOCC

Tigerland12 why make something out of nothing? i said he isn't suitable and gave my reasons as to why i have that opinion...
Yes i did watch him play 7's, I've watched his attacking abilities significantly offset by his defensive flaws and lack of understanding and rules when it comes to rucks/mauls.
Im not sure my opinion on his ability would drastically change after watching one game of XV's rugby in Australis 3rd tier of rugby union.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
As TOCC pointed out, as it stands the Reds wouldn't sign Walker at the expense of Davies as he has similar skills/flaws but is 2 years behind him development wise. That said there is potential there and if he works hard he may get to a level where a club would invest in him. He is a tremendous athlete.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
As TOCC pointed out, as it stands the Reds wouldn't sign Walker at the expense of Davies as he has similar skills/flaws but is 2 years behind him development wise. That said there is potential there and if he works hard he may get to a level where a club would invest in him. He is a tremendous athlete.
There may have been money spent on Davies, but has he shown improvement? Has Walker got room to improve? If Walker has got room to improve will the end result be better than where Davies will be?

I know nothing of Walker and have never seen him play, but I think the most important thing in Recruiting players that are not going to be imediately in the starting line up is to look at where you think their skill set will be when it is time for them to start a game. This is why you sign Juniors that have flaws in their game that are being worked on, you dont expect them to play S15 the day you sign them.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
Whilst out at Crosby Park yesterday I got word that Enever, Buttler and Sam Lane will have EPS contracts next season. Also if we aren't able to re-sign Davies or Shipperely, Shannon Walker would not be a bad prospect. He was very good in the first 15man game I've seen, on attack and defence, not to mention he is only 23 (looks about 50).

I was impressed with Enever's cameo scene for the Reds against the Rebels as short as it was. One hit-up in particular. He's a big lad though, even amongst the company of other big lads.

W

What2040

wonder why only 12 months - thought most players (unless QC (Quade Cooper) until recently) signed for 2 years

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Normally I don't like 1 yer deals, but in this case I'm fine with it. Chibba has strong ambition to become the Reds #1 rake, but if he is unable to do that next season I suspect he'll be gone, he is too good to sit on the bench every week.

That being said, Fainga'a has been destructive this year, so it won't be easy for him.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Normally I don't like 1 yer deals, but in this case I'm fine with it. Chibba has strong ambition to become the Reds #1 rake, but if he is unable to do that next season I suspect he'll be gone, he is too good to sit on the bench every week.

That being said, Fainga'a has been destructive this year, so it won't be easy for him.

My pick is 2013 is going to be the fingers year. They both realizing what type of footballers they can be.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think after next year there will be opportunities for a hooker at the Rebels. I think Hanson would have that in the back of his mind as his Wallaby chances would be strengthened by starting each week. Also he has links down there as he played for the ARC version of the Rebels.

T

tranquility

I think after next year there will be opportunities for a hooker at the Rebels. I think Hanson would have that in the back of his mind as his Wallaby chances would be strengthened by starting each week. Also he has links down there as he played for the ARC version of the Rebels.

Spot on. Chibba is far to good to be playing on our bench from an Australian rugby point of view, but its precisely the type of depth required to win a super rugby tournament. He is also of great value to the Reds because he plays a different, i'm reluctant to say it but probably tighter game than Saia. I hope that due to the longer seasons, we can keep them both and rotate them into the starting XV, a skill that Link is a master at.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Leroy houston is off contract in france. I wonder if he is being considered as a cover for higgers?

Status
Not open for further replies.