• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Isn't Saia as good as gone already? Hanson has developed incredibly well, even if Saia stays I don't think we can afford to let him go. Are there any promising young hookers in the wider group?

The Reds won't lose both of them. For all the talk of Hanson being better Link prefers to start Saia, Hanson has only had a chance the last 2 weeks due to injury. I probably agree, Saia is still improving, the Reds scrum has been stronger this year and if he cuts out the silly penalties will be a great hooker for the Reds. End of the day it is a shame to see Hanson go but the Faingaas are more important to the Reds than him.

Finding someone to replace him will be pretty important. Can someone confirm if Anae started at hooker and is being developed at loosehead or the other way around, can't remember at the moment:confused:

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Isn't Saia as good as gone already? Hanson has developed incredibly well, even if Saia stays I don't think we can afford to let him go. Are there any promising young hookers in the wider group?

I'm okay with letting Morahan go. He's come along well but he's been stuck behind a lot of talent here and while he's good I don't think he is better or has potential to be better than our younger guys.

Similar to my thoughts but I wasn't aware Saia was leaving. What's his purported destination? Is it Melbourne?

Maybe Chibba offers slightly more than Saia but both Fainga'a twins are very effective at Super level and do a good job for the Reds. Ant is the defensive keystone for the back line.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
The Reds won't lose both of them. For all the talk of Hanson being better Link prefers to start Saia, Hanson has only had a chance the last 2 weeks due to injury. I probably agree, Saia is still improving, the Reds scrum has been stronger this year and if he cuts out the silly penalties will be a great hooker for the Reds. End of the day it is a shame to see Hanson go but the Faingaas are more important to the Reds than him.

Finding someone to replace him will be pretty important. Can someone confirm if Anae started at hooker and is being developed at loosehead or the other way around, can't remember at the moment:confused:

I believe he was a prop converted to hooker converted back to prop now playing both off the bench.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)

Similar to my thoughts but I wasn't aware Saia was leaving. What's his purported destination? Is it Melbourne?

Maybe Chibba offers slightly more than Saia but both Fainga'a twins are very effective at Super level and do a good job for the Reds. Ant is the defensive keystone for the back line.

I thought I saw some chatter a few pages back about how it would be difficult for the Reds to be able to make salary for both twins while retaining the current playing roster and staying under the salary cap. I wasn't trying to knock Saia by the way! I think he's pretty good himself I meant that more along the lines of we need two good hookers because injuries happen, and they happen often. I do agree the twins are cult figures at the Reds now and definitely a huge part of the squad. But yeah I heard if anything Saia would go to Melbourne since Horie will be out after this season.

something

Jim Clark (26)
Jeez i hope not. I love Hanson, he is one of my favourite players for the reds. Just a good bloke. Would be good if we swapped Morahan for MMM haha.

Talk of Saia leaving, if Saia leaves does Ant leave?

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
What I would do if I was coach - Start Chibba one week, start Saia the next. Allowing of course for injury & oposition. They are both good hookers in their own right, just play slightly different games & what one is good at the other is so-so at. It would be a pity if Chibba goes however. I am not sure he would get a starting spot in any other franchise. Without injury Charles alwyas starts for the Force, Moore for the Brums, Robinson for the Rebels, & TPN for the Tahs. Are any of them likely to be moving on?

As for Mozza - I feel sorry for him. He is a talent and really should be getting more time then he is, but yep there is a bit of a log jam in the Red outside backs.

But if either of them can get a more frequent start somewhere else they should grab the oportunity. The more game time they get the better they will get & the better this will be for Aust Rugby.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think Hanson would start for the Force and Rebels. I feel he should start for the Reds too, but not my call. The thing is that no one knows who will coach the forwards at the Reds next year so it will make keeping some of these guys hard.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Hanson always lifts the team when he comes on, although some lineout throws can be a bit wobbly.
Saia gives away too many penalties for mine. Most of them are the sort of dumb ones you see in 4th grade.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I don't think it would be that easy. Force have a solid hooker in Charles. No way would Chibba walk in and depose him.
Yes. With two of the Top-5 Aus hookers it would probably be similar to the situation at the Reds now with the position shared.

One would get 50 mins and the other 30 mins, or vice-versa. Otherwise one player will want to leave.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hanson would easily displace Charles in the starting lineup....
On last years form it would be a toss up but charles has not been in the best of form this year and is now out for the year. He has 1 year left on his contract bit of a suprise to me if it happens i will.be good for the club to get a player like him on board.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Where to?

Wouldn't be at all surprised if the Rebels try to poach him with Horie coming off contract at the end of the season. Anyone have the current stats on the twins contracts? Do they end this year too or am I wrong on that one? I think a lot of it will depend on if any of the other younger guys step up this year or not. We all know by now that Quirk, Gill, and Schatz will all be expecting bigger contracts when their current ones are up. Combine that with any young backs that might actually break out (CFS/Toa etc) and also demand larger contracts and I can see our salary cap coming under a lot of pressure very soon which means the pressure has to get released somewhere. Although the Finger Twins are definitely part of the nexus the Reds culture is built around so I think it's more than anything going to come down to interest shown by other clubs as well as the timing on the Finger Twin contracts and the contracts of some of the younger guys who have become or are potentially going to become full-time starters.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

I think they signed a one year deal last year with the intent on going overseas after this year. No doubt they were both disappointed with lack of ARU top up (particularly Saia who has racked up a few games for the wallabies now).

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
You're right, the Twins signed a one year contract, so are up for a renewal after this season. So is Horwill by the way, there's quite a few Reds off contract this year. Check the Reds 2014 thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.