• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels v Reds. AAMI Stadium - 2011R12

Status
Not open for further replies.

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
Samo with another penalty, not rolling away from the tackle. Huxley misses it, still 3-0.
Rebs are a completely different side at home.

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
Wow, the Rebels horrific defense rears its ugly head. Higginbotham puts his hand up for the Wallaby 13 jersey with a 50 metre run for a try.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Hmm quiet thread. Um yeh good win. The Rebels poor defence made the Reds look like they had moments of brilliance. The Reds will have to tweak their defence a little as the Blues are going to score 3 tries a lot easier than the Rebels did tonight.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well, after a brief pause, we're back!!
Good win in the end from the Reds, but the Rebels put in a pretty good effort in many facets. A few poor defensive lapses gifted some easy points to the Reds, and the horrible goal-kicking didn't help.
Having no dog in the fight, I will make one comment about Bryce Lawrence - really let the breakdown degenerate into farce towards the end. I honestly question his position on the RWC panel. That is all.
Genia - huge game, especially being pretty unwell; Cooper had some real magic, but I wanted Mortlock to thump him in the first half just a little bit! ;) He is so dangerous. Samo was a liability more than a positive. Higgers varied between sublime play (mainly in the loose still) and some pretty silly stuff where he ran the risk of getting carded towards the end. Needs to be tighter still, but lots of talent.
For the Rebels, Delve strong, Pyle good in places, Robinson solid, and Phipps continues to impress, but some glaring problems with Huxley fairly poor, and some bad defensive alignment issues.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hmm quiet thread. Um yeh good win. The Rebels poor defence made the Reds look like they had moments of brilliance. The Reds will have to tweak their defence a little as the Blues are going to score 3 tries a lot easier than the Rebels did tonight.

Think the website was down for most of the game.

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
Cue the praise for the Reds 'grinding' win from the same people who derided the Tahs for their performance last week :fishing

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Having no dog in the fight, I will make one comment about Bryce Lawrence - really let the breakdown degenerate into farce towards the end. I honestly question his position on the RWC panel. That is all.

True that. He started well, giving about 5 milliseconds before penalising for not rolling away, should have continued. Didn't seem to matter where people came into the ruck from in the last 20, from both sides.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Once Bryce gave the card to Harris he seemed to step back and stay "Yep, I've done enough"

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Flew down to Melbourne for this game. Another win for the Reds where it doesn't seem like they ever really got started.

Have to say: the crowd/atmosphere for the Rebels is fantastic. Wish we had it at Suncorp.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Once Bryce gave the card to Harris he seemed to step back and stay "Yep, I've done enough"

Yeah, not that it mattered in the overall context, but to let AWH come in from the side to kill it after a warning about penalties was just awful reffing.
But it was all sorts - players lying in the way, playing the ball on the ground, not releasing tackled players...you name it, and it was from both sides, but it just made it a blight.
I thought some refs might have carded Higgers for taking out the Rebels player at the quick lineout - pretty cynical stuff, and an aspect of his game he has to lose, given his other obvious strengths.
Plus I think he needed to crack down on some of the niggle which got plain silly at times.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Scrappy game as most people have alluded to. However I would like to know how the Rebels were awarded the Dorf and second half try.

DK seemed to have his entire arm and hand around the ball and the camera seemed to show conclusive evidence that the ball was held up?

More importantly, that second half try to me seemed like a knock on, however, Lawrence decided to award the try whilst falling on his arse and simply telling the TA to bugger off?

I thought the Reds scrum looked pretty solid, the only time there was trouble was when Woodcock wasn't binding and simply putting an arm on the ground.

Line outs are still a worry, calls werent right!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Scrappy game as most people have alluded to. However I would like to know how the Rebels were awarded the Dorf and second half try.

DK seemed to have his entire arm and hand around the ball and the camera seemed to show conclusive evidence that the ball was held up?

More importantly, that second half try to me seemed like a knock on, however, Lawrence decided to award the try whilst falling on his arse and simply telling the TA to bugger off?

I thought the Reds scrum looked pretty solid, the only time there was trouble was when Woodcock wasn't binding and simply putting an arm on the ground.

Line outs are still a worry, calls werent right!
With Hilgendorf's try, I think he went with the ball being "helped" down by the later players - deserved a try for the ability to hold the ball while his leg was being destroyed!
The last one looked pretty dicey though.
Scrums waxed and waned with both teams having a few good ones, and neither side gaining a real edge I thought.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I don't think you'd call it grinding - patchy is more what it was. Patches of brilliance interspersed with a fair bit of shit. The Harris sinbinning was always going to make things a bit more difficult for them but I was personally a bit disappointed they didn't manage to keep going away with it after securing the bonus point try. Thought with the exception of the forced change re Morahan, Link was very conservative with his use of the bench tonight.

Hopefully the Morahan injury isn't too bad and he is back next week. If not what do the Reds do? Start Shipperley or push Chambers back on to the wing where he started out? Smokin' Joe and Rene Ranga aren't exactly slouches so whoever gets the gig will have to be on their game.

Hang on, now I see that Houston was punted from the bench to make way for Prior as Genia was feeling less than 100%. That explains why there was no Leroy to be found around 60 mins in then. So Link's use of bench not as conservative as I first thought and also partly why Reds didn't go on with the job.

Genia went very well for a sick bloke.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't think you'd call it grinding - patchy is more what it was. Patches of brilliance interspersed with a fair bit of shit.

Best 2 sentence summary of the game I think we will see. If we play like that next week it will be the end of fortress Suncorp. Although the Blues have looked a bit the same in the last 2 games, todays against the canes wasn't great but they got the points.

Reactions: Ash

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Got to meet the players and go on the ground afterwards. A win is a win. I thought Huxley, apart from his goal kicking, was very good. Genia was brilliant, while Cooper was not at his best.

Status
Not open for further replies.