• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels v Reds. AAMI Stadium - 2011R12

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dunnman

Is Hilgendorf injured again? What's that, 2 starts for 2 injuries? Rebels seem to have a few crocks on the books, you'd have to think we will be lucky to see Adam Frier at all.

Even if he was fully fit, with Ged Robinson's current form, he would be benching at best.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Queensland boosted as prop Ben Daley re-signs with Reds Damien Stannard From: The Courier-Mail May 04, 2011 11:02AM

Ben Daley, centre, with fellow Reds front-rowers Saia Fainga'a and James Slipper. Source: The Sunday Mail (Qld)
BEN Daley's prized signature could be just the tonic the Reds need ahead of Friday night's Super Rugby clash with the Rebels in Melbourne.
The Queensland prop will stay in Brisbane until at least the end of 2013 after signing a new contract with the Australian Rugby Union.

Daley had been considering a move to England to pursue his legal studies.

He chose instead to focus on his rugby education and will continue packing down the Reds' young front row combination, Saia Fainga'a and James Slipper.

Daley, a member of Australia's world championship-winning Under-19 side in 2006, began his Super Rugby career with the Reds in 2008 against the Crusaders at Suncorp Stadium and after some strong performances for the Queenslanders in 2010 earned his call up to the Wallabies for their match against England in Perth last year.

The 22-year-old, and Slipper will return from injury at AAMI Park as the Reds hope to rebound from last weekend's shock loss to the Hurricanes.

Coach Ewen McKenzie has made a further four changes to the starting team, recalling forwards Fainga'a, Rob Simmons and Radike Samo and outside centre Anthony Fainga'a.

Reds team to play Rebels: Ben Lucas, Luke Morahan, Anthony Fainga'a, Mike Harris, Digby Ioane, Quade Cooper, Will Genia, Radike Samo, Beau Robinson, Scott Higginbotham, James Horwill (capt), Rob Simmons, James Slipper, Saia Fainga'a, Ben Daley. Res: James Hanson, Greg Holmes, Adam Wallace-Harrison, Leroy Houston, Jake Schatz, Will Chambers, Dom Shipperley.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
No Gill on the bench, instead Houston and Schatz?

Still a much stronger team that last week.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Noticed that, but I reckon they have just listed it wrong, and he will really be 6, with Higgers 8.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think Samo will be great off the back of the scrum. He's a strong ball runner and has good hands. I think this is close to the best pack the Reds have put on the field this year.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Just noticing the impact of the back line with 10. Cooper 12. Harris. I remember last year people saying Cooper works best having running or crashing balling centres but you'd have to say Harris is more a 10 himself. Is Ewen adopting the 2 playmaker strategy like Deans? Seems to be working for me.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Harris hasn't been doing much playmaking, and can actual fill the crash ball role just as well himself.

The only playmaking he has been doing is when Quade has been caught in the ruck and Harris goes to first receiver. Harris's best skill he has shown (other than kicking for goal) has been his ability to run into a hole, and straighten the attack.

In this regard, it will be a tale of two very different 12s when the Reds play the Brumbies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Am a bit bemused why Reds fans aren't calling for Link to get Harris to take the kicks at goal. Had he taken them at the Cake Tin the Reds would have won. Will there be a 2nd or 3rd game lost for the same reason? And yes, I know that it wasn't the only reason they lost, because I also saw the poor defence in the 1st half - but switching goal kickers is a quick fix.

Goal kicking will likely not play a role in the game as the Rebels can play some awful rugby. Their best chance is for a wet game when their superior kicking from hand may give them an edge. It didn't in Sydney, but their backs can't be as dysfunctional as they were on Saturday night: they made the Tahs backs look almost average. Almost.

Samo at the back of the scrum would not fill me with confidence if he plays there, but he probably won't.

G

Geeves

Am a bit bemused why Reds fans aren't calling for Link to get Harris to take the kicks at goal. Had he taken them at the Cake Tin the Reds would have won.

I have never been able to tell the future. So I'm always surprised that people know for certain how events would have turned out if a decision was made. Who knows Harris might have shanked them around the park all night? Unlikely but it could have happened.

As far as Links decision making is going. I have no reason to complain as I believe that he is getting far more calls right than wrong. I also think the players agree as the rate they are signing off contract players (i.e. Ben Daley today) with no media bullshit (e.g. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will he won't he go to NSW, or will JOC (James O'Connor) head to Melbourne). Although on that call the fundamental test will be the Cooper signing.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think most Reds fans would like Harris to take the kicks at goal but Link is sticking with Cooper so we will just all live in hope that he makes them in the presure games.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Am a bit bemused why Reds fans aren't calling for Link to get Harris to take the kicks at goal. Had he taken them at the Cake Tin the Reds would have won. Will there be a 2nd or 3rd game lost for the same reason? And yes, I know that it wasn't the only reason they lost, because I also saw the poor defence in the 1st half - but switching goal kickers is a quick fix.

Cruden kicked very poorly as well. Can't find the stats but had both he and Cooper booted 100% Reds still would likely have lost. It sounds easy to say if Cooper had kicked 1 more penalty they'd have won but always good to look at both kickers results first. Do agree with the Harris call though. If he has now cemented his run on spot it might be good to give it to him and relieve a duty from Cooper.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
If the Reds had of commited more to the breakdown as they should have, we would have won convincingly and this rubbish about the kickers would be irrelivant. Quade is having some bad form with the boot at the moment but just remember back to the Brumbies game.

When you start procrastinating about who your goal kicker should be you lose sight of why we really lost that game.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Rebels are allowing people on the ground after the game for autographs etc as it's AAMI Park's 1st brithday.

Rebels will be on containment duty I reckon and the Reds will be way too strong for them.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I have never been able to tell the future. So I'm always surprised that people know for certain how events would have turned out if a decision was made. Who knows Harris might have shanked them around the park all night? Unlikely but it could have happened.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

My only comments on it would be, perhaps Link should tell Quade to relinquish some of the duties to Harris as well. Harris has a great boot on him and it would just mean theres one less thing for Quade to worry about. This would in return just lift some of that pressure on him and allow him to concentrate on running the back line

Status
Not open for further replies.