• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels v Reds. AAMI Stadium - 2011R12

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
I only got to see the first 30 minutes of the game and I thought it was rather entertaining for the most part, but that's just my perspective from the first 30mins. Certainly couldn't be any worse than the RL Test match at Skilled stadium.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Good win for the Reds in a feisty game. It's being able to pull out wins against inferior teams when you're not playing well that makes teams contenders. Unlike the Tahs last weekend, the Reds looked consistently dangerous in this game and played with real energy for most of it.

For the Rebs -- you have to love the guts and determination. Playing a better, more skilled and cohesive side, they never gave up, despite injuries and adverse circumstances. They seem to be doing things right down south and building a great team culture.

(As an aside, did anyone else want the Fox commentators to shut the fuck up about how Cipriani should have been playing? Kafe even said something like "you have to learn to manage strong individuals" and went on to suggest that Cips suspension has cost the team, rather than him, and was therefore not smart. You gotta wonder sometimes...)

Cyclo -- I'm with you on Bryce Lawrence. Just some very confusing and inane reffing towards the end there. Reds should have been carded a second time -- after one player gets sent for a cynical penalty you can't just let the rest of them do whatever they want. I thought the Reds really pushed the limits throughout the second half. But like Sir Richie in Tests, they played the ref very well and didn't suffer too badly, despite the YC. Higgers has to be the luckiest guy around not to get 10 for taking out that Rebel player. That was just dumb play and I'd imagine Link is still tearing him a new one as I type.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
Congrats to the reds. Sadly, can't say it was the greatest game of all time, but it was entertaining enough and the Rebels did show occasional glimpses of what we are capable of. Reds backline was penetrative and many of you will look good in Green and Gold come July.

D

daz

I was really frustrated during the game wondering when the Reds were going to start playing, but then I realised that the Rebels were being more disruptive to the way the Reds wanted to play than I was giving them credit for.

QC (Quade Cooper) was getting the shits with his received ball and no wonder; he was losing time having to drag the pill down from 2 metres above his head nearly every second pass. Plus Morty was so far down his throat there was no room to move.

What to think? Well, we won. But gee it wasn't convincing and my excitement-o-meter rarely hit high gear. The boys won't get let off so easily next week, that's for sure.

As for the Rebels, I gotta say that I do enjoy watching their games. They are gutsy, passionate try-hards with some real skill and a good game plan. And what a supporter base. Good onya Melbourne, AAMI stadium is a bloody jewel in the S15 crown.

Well refed Mr Lawrence. Easy to see why you are on the elite panel with that kind of performance. Not a single unfathomable decision made and total control well in hand all game. You donkey. Sir.

Final thought: I think the Wallaby arguments for A Finger at 12/13 and Higgers at 8 are pretty much done and dusted now. The answers are no and yes respectively.

R

RuckinGoodStats

When Harris was in the sin bin the Rebels put on 5 points, had 58% possession and 44% territory. During this time the Reds put on 7 points.
Rebels had a poor kicking for points. They only got 1 out of 6 attempts.
Rebels spent 30% of the 2nd half inside the Reds 22.
Rebels missed 17 tackles to the Reds' 11.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Reds got away with a bit in the second half but on the other side the rebels got the luck with being awarded two tries that could have easily gone the other way.

Anyone also think that lawerence forgot that the tackled player has to release the ball? He really overly favoured the attacking team. I reckon with another ref horwill would have won about 3 penalties at the breakdown for Rebs players holding on. As it was I don't think lawerence penalized either team for holding on? Something you never see.

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Anyone also think that lawerence forgot that the tackled player has to release the ball? He really overly favoured the attacking team. I reckon with another ref horwill would have won about 3 penalties at the breakdown for Rebs players holding on. As it was I don't think lawerence penalized either team for holding on? Something you never see.
I think Lawrence forgot most of the breakdown laws. It was a schmozzle. He failed to get on top of it early and the players from both teams just had their way with him.

C

Cakeboy

Daz, agree that the service Cooper was getting was very poor. Not sure if it was because Genia was sick and a little off his game or not. Though the rest of what Genia did last night was very good. I would also like to see in the last 5 - 10 minutes of a game we have wrapped up either Cooper or Genia getting subbed to give some one else some tme at 9 or 10. Hard to do last night with the bench split we had and the other injuries.

T

tranquility

Depending on how the Tahs finish the season, there is going to be a lot of Reds in the WC squad.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
My thoughts on the game.

If that is the sort of refereeing performance we can expect at the RWC I may as well turn off the Fox now. They was woeful, Lawrence lacked consistancy from ruck to ruck, truly awful.

The Rebels game plan was pretty obvious right from the start, get in their face and niggle and harrass. Worked pretty well too I must say. Higginbum copped a bit at every ruck and he reacted to most of it. He could have been sent for a rest at least three times that I saw. Cooper showed again that he doesn't deal well with strong attention and I predict every team will put somebody like Morty to smash him a few times early. After the first tackle Cooper forgot about the game and wanted to have a push at Mortlock who would knock him into next week faster than a migrant student protecting a laptop.

The Reds were never in any real danager as the Rebels just have too many weaknesses in their squad. Without Saffy there were big holes around the rucks and the usual out wide. I would be very surprised if Huxley, Mitchell and Betham were to continue getting significant game time next year, they just don't cut it.

Alarm bells should be ringing quietly for Link with this performance. Last week was just that week too far IMO, and I tipped against them as I expected them to be flat and a bit tired after the win against the Tahs. This win however showed a few very big flaws in the Reds attitude & focus that can be exploited by more complete sides than the Rebels.

Lastly where are all the posters who stated that S. Fainga'a's throwing was better than Hanson. I would like to say the throw into the shins of Hugh Pyle in the first half would have to rank as the worst throw into a lineout since Link Mackenzie took over the throws at Randwick one game. If he is the third best Hooker in Oz we have some serious problems.

I should say as well that I am extremely impressed with how Macqueen has again taken a squad of discards and a star or two and turned them into a competitive unit. His tactical approach even though sevrely limitted by the players he has to draw on has been very good. I expect the Rebels will be a real bogey side for a few next year.

T

TOCC

i think people need to ease up on Fainga'a and his lineout's, its obvious that miscommunication was playing a large part of the problem

but then again, hooker is the easy target for a misfiring lineout isnt he...

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
WHy ease up on him, people were hghly critical of TPN and Kearns, and Canon for lineout throwing inaccuracy. Last week Fainga'a was hailed a saviour of the lineout for the eds when he was brought on to "fix" the lineout with Hanson being labled the problem. Why must we this week go easy on Fainga'a? That shocker may well have been a bad call, but what about the rest? The Reds had four genuine jumpers against the 2 from the Rebels and their ball was far from secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.