• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels v Reds. AAMI Stadium - 2011R12

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I didn't think the Reds were that bad to ring the alarm bells, Gnostic. S Fainga'a's lineout work has never been stellar, but his value is in his work around the field. Personally, I want the core hooking jobs done well, as for props too, before the "extras" get overly praised, but he does do the "extras" quite well. At least he is on the park, as opposed to the 2 more highly fancied hookers, one of whom has a death-wish of sorts.
Higgers had some good work, but he needs to ignore the niggle - as you say he could have been punted at least once, and he is a better player than that.
Scrappy games brought on by one team (as here) often drag the other team out of the game they want to play (why do it otherwise?) and that was reflected in the Reds play in large parts. They still scored some nice tries, perhaps too easily, but they scored them nonetheless. I expect they will play much better against the Blues next week.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think people will dislike this but I'm really starting too dislike higgers. I allways seam too notice him doing the wrong thing ( cheating). Bad sportsman sort of stuff. Maybe it's the whole drew thing and now I'm just watching him more and picking on him.

Go the force!!!!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think anyone playing super rugby would be considered very poor at the set piece.

Why? Relative to the competition, he is poor. Does that mean every player is excellent since they're at this level already?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Did anybody consider there just might be the chance that the Reds were keeping there cards up their sleeves for next week?

The Reds got the job done including bonus point without revealing to much. Enough said.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Did anybody consider there just might be the chance that the Reds were keeping there cards up their sleeves for next week?.

Spoken like a true fan. But yeah, I don't see what the fuss is all about. The Rebels aren't as bad as some think and can make things difficult. The Reds didn't play their best game but they scored 5 points and didn't have any nasty injuries.

D

daz

I didn't think the Reds were that bad to ring the alarm bells, Gnostic. S Fainga'a's lineout work has never been stellar, but his value is in his work around the field.

Higgers had some good work, but he needs to ignore the niggle - as you say he could have been punted at least once, and he is a better player than that.

Agree on both points cyclo. All I will add is that a) one shocking throw seems to be enough for some folk to suggest S Finger should be summarily executed, which is a tad harsh, and,

b) Higgers walks a very, very fine line between mongrel niggler and mongrel niggler in the bin. While I love that bit of bastard in Higgers game, he won't help the team from the sidelines. The Reds defense is not so strong that we can afford to be a man down, especially a hard man. A team like the Saders would put 30 points on us.

And finally, I have to say that your avatar freaks me out, cyclo.....!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Was it Campbell that sucker punched ioane in he side of his face ie close to a damaged jaw? Anyone know if he has been cited?

It was right in front of the sideline ref and ioane wasn't even facing the Rebs player. Hard to see how it was missed?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Please, it was a little jab on his throat. Ioane deserved it. Shouldn't have been tackling and then holding onto him.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Was it Campbell that sucker punched ioane in he side of his face ie close to a damaged jaw? Anyone know if he has been cited?

It was right in front of the sideline ref and ioane wasn't even facing the Rebs player. Hard to see how it was missed?

I did not see it, but my brother who was on the eastern side of the ground saw it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Isn't a sucker punch when you don't expect it? Digby was niggling, so was probably not entirely surprised to get a reaction. Not that I condone punching other players.

T

TOCC

WHy ease up on him, people were hghly critical of TPN and Kearns, and Canon for lineout throwing inaccuracy. Last week Fainga'a was hailed a saviour of the lineout for the eds when he was brought on to "fix" the lineout with Hanson being labled the problem. Why must we this week go easy on Fainga'a? That shocker may well have been a bad call, but what about the rest? The Reds had four genuine jumpers against the 2 from the Rebels and their ball was far from secure.

what about the rest, please break them down for me and tell me what parts of those lost balls actually went wrong...

S.Fainga'a's lineout throwing, and the Reds for that matter has had one of the highest success rates all season up until last week, so maybe im suggesting people dont go been overly melodramatic after one bad game where the lineout misfiring was probably more related to the fact that there were 5 changes to the starting 8 in the forward pack rather then just poor throwing..

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Isn't a sucker punch when you don't expect it? Digby was niggling, so was probably not entirely surprised to get a reaction. Not that I condone punching other players.

Pretty sure both were grappling, then Ioane turned the other way (maybe to get back in position), and then Campbell layed one on him while he wasn't watching. That was my recollection.

Another example of inconsistencies in the citing procedures it seems.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Pretty sure both were grappling, then Ioane turned the other way (maybe to get back in position), and then Campbell layed one on him while he wasn't watching. That was my recollection.

Another example of inconsistencies in the citing procedures it seems.

agree, but hitting someone when there back in turned...Weak as....

Status
Not open for further replies.