• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels v Brumbies, Round 12, 13th May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The current post-try situation places too much power in the hands of the home ground TV producer/screen operator.

As we had after Ala'alatoa's try last night- the first replay after the try was of Fardy's drop rather than the fantastic try. Cue a crowd riot and a referral to the TMO.

If the Rebels had scored that try, what are the odds we'd have a replay of the brilliant try and not the knock-on?

The stakes rise again in internationals. You'd have rocks in your head to think the Saffers won't be replaying every 50/50 decision ad bloody nauseam on the big screen.

I think there needs to be some protocols in place around what gets put on the big screen, and who has the power to make those decisions.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
I think they should only review the last phase when reviewing a try, from when the ball leaves the ruck, unless foul play is suspected. Along with scrapping the quick conversion loop hole.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Totally agree, b. It's one thing our league cousins have got right, the ref has a look to his touchies to check there's nothing they saw to stop him awarding a try.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
This whole loophole regarding quick shots at goal is downright silly....

Just a couple of thoughts -

- The referee should be checking with his assistants before he awards the try, and not afterwards - once the whistle is blown the decision should then be final. And only then can the shot at goal be taken.

- It unfairly favours the home team if the ref is able to be persuaded by the home ground screen to reverse his decision. There's no chance that the home ground is going to replay ad nauseum any errors by the home team leading up to a try.

Oddly enough, the Brumbies shouldn't have had the first try awarded where the loophole was applied, but the Alaalaatoa one, which was reviewed and denied, should have been awarded.... plus they would've had an easy shot at goal from in front.

Bonkers....

We should think ourselves lucky we aren't in the round ball game, just imagine the riot if the Quick conversion and disallowed try situations arose in some way in that game. I imagine fires and lives lost, seriously no exaggeration.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm no longer concerned about our teams not making the finals. It would be better if we didn't, but some poor bastard has to be thrown to the wolves.

Whoever makes it, and i'm pretty sure it will be the Brumbies, is going to be immediately slaughtered.

Like the scribe in Gladiator who takes a spiked mace to the face about .10 seconds into the fight.

funny-pictures-sucker-punch-fail-fight-animated-gif.gif

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Home ground advantage didn't help the Waratahs get their bonus point last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Totally agree, b. It's one thing our league cousins have got right, the ref has a look to his touchies to check there's nothing they saw to stop him awarding a try.

I disagree, I think we are a lot closer than League are.

They go to the bunker 80% of the time now, inveriably to check for obstruction. And they can't go back for anything one phase before, which means they can't stop a howler that happened only 15sec beforehand.

We have a pretty good system that allows for dialogue between ref, touchies and TMO, and the right decision is made 90% of the time. And our process is 95% correct IMO, just we've found one little loophole here which needs to be closed.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
The current post-try situation places too much power in the hands of the home ground TV producer/screen operator.

As we had after Ala'alatoa's try last night- the first replay after the try was of Fardy's drop rather than the fantastic try. Cue a crowd riot and a referral to the TMO.

If the Rebels had scored that try, what are the odds we'd have a replay of the brilliant try and not the knock-on?

The stakes rise again in internationals. You'd have rocks in your head to think the Saffers won't be replaying every 50/50 decision ad bloody nauseam on the big screen.

I think there needs to be some protocols in place around what gets put on the big screen, and who has the power to make those decisions.

Totally agree Barbarian.

If they are going to review then keep the replay off the big screen and limit it to the TMO booth.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I think one of the reasons that the TMO has been given the role of looking at lead up play is that many refereeing errors were being made in game after game adjudicating forward passes. Supporters of all teams were vocal about the ball being directed backwards but then being propelled forwards by momentum and the pass being ruled forward. The same argument has been or could be presented in respect of both the Tahs and the Brumbies' passes that were in contention. Maybe go the League way and not allow suspect passes to be subject to TMO ruling and let it rest with the referee.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Reviews aside, the loophole is bs and sets a bad example for young rugby players everywhere. These players are meant to be role models and should always set a good example including fair play, don't teach kids that cheating and breaking the rules of the game we love is acceptable if you don't get caught. Set an example to be proud of. Rant over

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Reviews aside, the loophole is bs and sets a bad example for young rugby players everywhere. These players are meant to be role models and should always set a good example including fair play, don't teach kids that cheating and breaking the rules of the game we love is acceptable if you don't get caught. Set an example to be proud of. Rant over

Said the stern father from 1952.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)

We also teach our kids to play to the whistle.......which is what the Brums did.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
We also teach our kids to play to the whistle...which is what the Brums did.

Bit different than playing to the whistle.

Taking a kick super quick because you know it should not be a try and don't want a review is closer to cheating than playing to the whistle.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Did anyone check on Toby Smiths wife?

After his display last night I was concerned he might have accidentally got his hands and her tits mixed up for the game.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Taking a kick super quick because you know it should not be a try and don't want a review is closer to cheating than playing to the whistle.

It is not cheating, it's within the current laws. Quite acceptable.
Now, if those laws are silly (and many think they are) is another matter. Don't crap on the players, crap on the law-makers.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
My thoughts.. its a shit rule, if the balls forward its forward.. and if the ref wants to check it.. shouldnt be stopped by CL kicking a shit drop goal...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)

The whistle was blown indicating a try was awarded......playing to the whistle. We've been screwed over by worse tries awarded. Bulls of a couple of years ago, and the Stormers this year. In any case, we had a fair try denied later in the match; swings and roundabouts.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Only behind TV producers and home grounds putting up controversial vision and crowds heckling official's to check decisions.

The reality of this is if you remove the replays from the big screens the problem goes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.