• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels v Brumbies, Round 12, 13th May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Brumbies' reserve front row and second rowers are playing better than the starters atm. Tom Staniforth must be due to get a starting spot some time soon. Would like to see him alongside Arnold. For a huge man, Rory Arnold certainly has good handling skills and his off loads are quite threatening.

Similarly, Ruan Smith looks to have the better form compared with Benny A also.

And how good will Joe Powell be with a bit more experience? On for 15 minutes tonight and didn't miss a single ruck and not one wayward pass if I'm not mistaken.

Not the most exhilarating game to watch, but one with a very low number of lost ball. Think the Brumbies only lost it on three occasions and the Rebels about eight times. Some very long but somewhat pedestrian phases from both sides.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Well done Brumbies, deserved the win.

Time for the Rebels to drop JD, at least take the kicking duties off him. Left to many points on the ground, should never have gone for the long pen.

We really need to hang onto Harris and Thomson. And sign some locks.

Quick question, when was the last time a ref called players not supporting there weight at the breakdown, happened all night by both teams. Falling over the ruck and nothing called.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not based on his whistle work. He's frustrating on the sidelines, but fairly consistent.

Issue was he looked to be intimidated by the experienced players on the field . McMahon and Stirzaker were regularly dismissed with nary a word, when Moore, Lilo and Pocock (who shouldn't be talking to the ref in the first place) got long thorough discussions. In the international game, particularly for new refs, you'll often get tier 1 v tier 2 sort of stuff, and I'd hate to see say Japan denied an opportunity to beat Argentina because of that sort of demeanor.

The Hoff has a long history of this. Not up to super level and has shown this regualrly.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think that's entirely true.........

The tone in which each captain addressed the referee was quite different, and not surprisingly attracted a different response.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Which captain do you mean, Moore, Pocock or Fardy? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's part of the problem. Referees accord Pocock the position of de facto captain and engage with him. He needs to be waved away like every other non-captain in the competition, it's just putting pressure on the refs and the less competent ones like the Hoff fold under it.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Congrats to Brums.

Wow reserve front rowers were better than starters.

Moore's ability to get in the ear of the Ref is fair enough. Good well respected players have always done it.(Ritchie and Fitzpatrick are classic examples)

Certainly a game worth watching

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm disappointed the Brumbies didn't try at the end for the BP..........

They're still only 4 points ahead of the Tahs going into the bye.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
We've had him three or four times at the Tahs this year, no complaints.

you can keep him for as long as you want. the officiating last night was poor. didn't really cost Rebels the game, they once again shot themselves in the foot a couple of times, but the Hoff and The AR's didn't help.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm disappointed the Brumbies didn't try at the end for the BP....

They're still only 4 points ahead of the Tahs going into the bye.

I imagine they thought it was better to stay 6 points ahead of the rebels on the table rather than gamble for 7, but risk being only 5 ahead if the rebels scored.

It was disappointing though.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
That's part of the problem. Referees accord Pocock the position of de facto captain and engage with him. He needs to be waved away like every other non-captain in the competition, it's just putting pressure on the refs and the less competent ones like the Hoff fold under it.

And there I was thinking Poey had a very mediocre game but apparently he won the game for the Brumbies through his interactions with the ref;).

Seriously, Poey has not been good the last couple of games. Makes his customary two or three turnovers and defensively he's very strong, but he is not threatening the line with ball in hand at all, where that had been an area of improvement early in the season. While he was on the ground, Colby Fainga'a was the best of the back rowers imo, just in front of Fardy.

Very impressed with Joe Powell's speed to the breakdown and his accuracy in passing, whether long or short. Definitely one for the future.

Reactions: mst

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
you can keep him for as long as you want. the officiating last night was poor. didn't really cost Rebels the game, they once again shot themselves in the foot a couple of times, but the Hoff and The AR's didn't help.

The Hoff was typically himself, I thought, not really what you want in a Super Rugby Ref. I still think our best ref is Houston who only seems to get a gig on the line these days.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Very impressed with Joe Powell's speed to the breakdown and his accuracy in passing, whether long or short. Definitely one for the future.

Both reserve scrummies looked good, very quick and accurate passes from the two of 'em. This is what Cheika wants to see from his "finishers", something which adds to the team's performance. If increasing the tempo's all they do, good.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Really? I thought Meehan was appalling, threw three or four looping passes, a couple of which led directly to turnovers.

I thought the Hoff was OK on the whole, he just let the ruck become a free-for-all which played right into the Brumbies hands.

It was good to see the Brumbies get back to what makes them good- a basic game plan built on set piece dominance and powerful forward runners. Rory Arnold had a great game, as did Scotty Fardy.

The Rebels could easily have won the game, but had a few big brain snaps and had no impact from the bench. They scored some lovely tries though and Jack D had his best game of the season.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This whole loophole regarding quick shots at goal is downright silly............

Just a couple of thoughts -

- The referee should be checking with his assistants before he awards the try, and not afterwards - once the whistle is blown the decision should then be final. And only then can the shot at goal be taken.

- It unfairly favours the home team if the ref is able to be persuaded by the home ground screen to reverse his decision. There's no chance that the home ground is going to replay ad nauseum any errors by the home team leading up to a try.

Oddly enough, the Brumbies shouldn't have had the first try awarded where the loophole was applied, but the Alaalaatoa one, which was reviewed and denied, should have been awarded........ plus they would've had an easy shot at goal from in front.

Bonkers..........

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
This whole loophole regarding quick shots at goal is downright silly....

Just a couple of thoughts -

- The referee should be checking with his assistants before he awards the try, and not afterwards - once the whistle is blown the decision should then be final. And only then can the shot at goal be taken.

- It unfairly favours the home team if the ref is able to be persuaded by the home ground screen to reverse his decision. There's no chance that the home ground is going to replay ad nauseum any errors by the home team leading up to a try.

Oddly enough, the Brumbies shouldn't have had the first try awarded where the loophole was applied, but the Alaalaatoa one, which was reviewed and denied, should have been awarded.... plus they would've had an easy shot at goal from in front.

Bonkers....

Spot on. It is just an incongruous situation with the way things are headed with video reviewing. I guess the thorny issue might arise with your idea (with which I agree) that the ARs / ref and / or TMO have a consultation then the try is awarded and no more correspondence. ARs are currently inconsistent with their contribution to forward passes / offside but seem very keen on being involved with foul play. If they say nothing and the ref is in no position to see a forward pass, will they consult the TMO? It's not like we all want the TMO getting more air time. But to allow this loophole is farcical.

Status
Not open for further replies.