• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels v Brumbies, Round 12, 13th May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I think Lealiifano over running in support makes it look forward and it probably was.

I would have loved to have seen different angles, to remove the "looks like" factor and also see it it would have been clear and obvious which is the criteria.

Either-way, you play what is refereed, good or bad, to the whistle and the rules, so it is what it is.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
I would have loved to have seen different angles, to remove the "looks like" factor and also see it it would have been clear and obvious which is the criteria.

Either-way, you play what is refereed, good or bad, to the whistle and the rules, so it is what it is.
Agreed.

Also think it was funny how the commentators said Lealiifano slowed down because he thought it would get called back. He was gassed from the extended play, plus those same behavioural experts thought Arnold hadn't scored based on his body language.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Agreed.

Also think it was funny how the commentators said Lealiifano slowed down because he thought it would get called back. He was gassed from the extended play, plus those same behavioural experts thought Arnold hadn't scored based on his body language.

Spot on!

And, as we saw with the Arnold try when it did go to the review, it was fine despite the player reaction. We have all seen when to goes to replay its not always as simple or obvious as we all expect.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Only behind TV producers and home grounds putting up controversial vision and crowds heckling official's to check decisions.

THIS! If anything SANZAAR/WR (World Rugby) should implement a policy of a neutral official in the control room. I'd volunteer. :D

Reactions: mst

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Only behind TV producers and home grounds putting up controversial vision and crowds heckling official's to check decisions.

The reality of this is if you remove the replays from the big screens the problem goes away.

Well the TV producer at Aami park failed the home team, did not show a replay inside the ground as they crossed to a interview with Weeks.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
You should complain to AAMI park management for letting you down!

IMHO I think the blame for this whole controversy lays at the feet of the Chiefs and Brumbies fans collectively after their round 6 clash where both teams took quick conversations.

If the supporters of both teams, were not so lazy and accepting of the rules and impressed the awareness, and quick thinking shown by the players at the time, they would have whinged and bitch enough to get some attention to the loop hole.

I commend the Rebals supporters for showing the commitment to drawing attention to the issue. :p

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
You should complain to AAMI park management for letting you down!

IMHO I think the blame for this whole controversy lays at the feet of the Chiefs and Brumbies fans collectively after their round 6 clash where both teams took quick conversations.

If the supporters of both teams, were not so lazy and accepting of the rules and impressed the awareness, and quick thinking shown by the players at the time, they would have whinged and bitch enough to get some attention to the loop hole.

I commend the Rebals supporters for showing the commitment to drawing attention to the issue. :p
You should also thank Lealiifano for so cynically exploiting it, making its closure inevitable. I'm sure that's the consensus on his motivation.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
You should also thank Lealiifano for so cynically exploiting it, making its closure inevitable. I'm sure that's the consensus on his motivation.

I am so proud of him for it! He even did it with class and such aplomp.

Unlike Foley who let us all down when he failed to take the opportunity to exploit the loop hole the week previous; and with the glory of getting a bonus point from it! He let the opportunity for far more universal outrage slip through his fingers.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
In any case, we had a fair try denied later in the match; swings and roundabouts.
except for the momentum change at that point. things are always different later on in a game if score is or isn't given. the Brums may or may not have been in the position for AA to score, or the Rebs may not have dominated the opening 10 mins of the second half, or ...,or ...., or any number of things may have happened.
it was a poor decision, one of a number Hoffman and the AR's made. i don't blame CL for taking the kick under the existing rules.
i was more pissed at the terrible option JD took and the even worse execution that led to the try in the first place.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Kick was a good option, should hqve been a 50m thump downfield and along the tramlines rather than an infield grubber.

Everything went to shit from there though.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Kick was a good option, should hqve been a 50m thump downfield and along the tramlines rather than an infield grubber.

Everything went to shit from there though.
an option, IMO not the best one, actually the worst one. he had Naivalu in support, i assume that was who he was kicking for; should have passed and backed up. (i haven't had a good look at the replay yet however)
ps i think the downfield thump was what he was trying to do

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Unfortunately, a lot of kicking seems to be the way to go with a lot of teams. When it's done against a side like the Highlanders, or Crusaders, or Chiefs, then it often results in a turnover try no matter where it finishes up in the field of play. Plenty of turnover tries have been scored by those sides from well into their own side of halfway.

Rebels were plain unlucky on this occasion that the Brumbies decided, out of all character, to run the ball back rather than return the kick. Obviously, totally unexpected by the Rebs and they paid the price.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member

What's to talk about? Bugger the quick conversations, they should settle down for a good jaw-boning session over a few beers.....

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
On the Lilo Loophole Exploitation: in the post-match interview, Lilo mentioned it was Pocock that ran up and told him to kick the conversion quickly.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
On the Lilo Loophole Exploitation: in the post-match interview, Lilo mentioned it was Pocock that ran up and told him to kick the conversion quickly.
yes, on the TV replay you can clearly see Pocock talk to Lilo who then turns around and takes a quick drop kick.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Who did most of the ruck work in this match?

2016-05-16_9-49-32.jpg

2016-05-16_9-49-08.jpg

Involvements over time

2016-05-16_9-43-37.jpg

2016-05-16_9-43-17.jpg

Best contributions by Backs as follows:

BRUMBIES
Ah Wong - 19 Total (18 Attack/1 Defence); Dargaville - 18T (15A/3D); Kuridrani - 16T (11A/5D)

REBELS

Ellison - 25T (16A/9D); Naivalu - 19T (11A/8D); Harris - 17T (14A/3D)

Remember:
1. Early means 1st or 2nd of player’s team AFTER the ball carrier has been tackled and brought to ground.
2. Impact means active engagement: strong physical contact, changed shape of ruck, clean-out, protecting ball etc. (more than hand on someone’s bum or arriving after the hard work has been done). Yes it’s subjective - but as I collect all data at least it’s consistent.
3. Impact DOES NOT equate to Effectiveness. I’ve concluded that coming up with an effectiveness measure is just too hard in the time that I have available – but open to suggestions.

And for the other Australian teams?

2016-05-16_9-51-50.jpg

2016-05-16_9-46-56.jpg

Impressive lift for the start of the 2nd half by the Rebels, Reds and Waratahs.

As usual Back Rowers (9) make up more than half of this list but some strong contributions from Front Rowers (5) and the normal Locks (2).
Only 8 of these players were in the 2015 RWC squad.

AFL_Converted

Charlie Fox (21)
yes, on the TV replay you can clearly see Pocock talk to Lilo who then turns around and takes a quick drop kick.
I am actually a bit disappointed by that. The all blacks year after year have used loopeholes or the refs interpretation to their advantage. Many have called it cynical or even cheating, myself included once but in reality it is intelligent play and awareness of the situation.

Time and time again I have seen this while all the wallabies did was complain to the ref with their arms flapping in the wind.

When the rules were adjusted to eliminate much of what the all blacks were doing they adjusted and if anything got even better.

Pocock was a rare exception to this as the one wallaby that always seemed to have his head switched on. I was hoping that we finally had another in Lilo but no.

Perhaps we need a few more people chaining themselves to bulldozers or taking a sabbatical in the peak of their careers to study instead of robots chanting the ARU or club line. At the least A rugby 360 interview would be worth watching again.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think it was brilliant captaincy, it's in the rules, he exploited it.

I also think Greg Chappel's underarm request was also brilliant, as it was within the rules.

The kick may not be in the same league, but the awareness involved in the decision making impresses me regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.