• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2022

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I was meant to be there too but a mate had spare tickets with him up on level 3 on the halfway line, bit better than my normal cheapo ones.
Yeah it is a better view from the touch line. In the second half when the force were running to the other end of the ground I was probably more focused on my beer than the game

Proud Pig

Charlie Fox (21)
That was as bad as I have felt at a game but not because I was angry at the performance. I normally am a fairly annoyed at a bad performance but last night I just didn't care. It seemed that there was no game plan, no passion from the players and little interest from the crowd.
Our defense in the first half was OK but not great in the second half at times it was non-existent. There simply was no plan in attack whatsoever. I think we have a decent pack but nothing in the backs. Hodge had an absolute 'mare, Two cows did nothing and as for Vaihu, I don't know where to start.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
That was as bad as I have felt at a game but not because I was angry at the performance. I normally am a fairly annoyed at a bad performance but last night I just didn't care. It seemed that there was no game plan, no passion from the players and little interest from the crowd.
Our defense in the first half was OK but not great in the second half at times it was non-existent. There simply was no plan in attack whatsoever. I think we have a decent pack but nothing in the backs. Hodge had an absolute 'mare, Two cows did nothing and as for Vaihu, I don't know where to start.
For mine it’s the senior players that are letting us down. We need them to stand up and lead with their actions.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
im with you on this one, a few wallabies & a few 5+ yr Super Rugby experienced players didn’t offer much.

can’t blame a few 21 y/o
Powell, To'omua and Hodge have all struggled to impact games

You have Pasatoa talking post match about the huge influence Kahui is at 12 and how is experience and leadership helps him at 10. That’s exactly what we need from To'omua

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Powell, To'omua and Hodge have all struggled to impact games

You have Pasatoa talking post match about the huge influence Kahui is at 12 and how is experience and leadership helps him at 10. That’s exactly what we need from To'omua
If was choice between To'omua and kahui I know who I would choose.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The Rebels won’t want to release the crowd figures at all. I guessed 7k would show up but it was probably 3/4k
To me losing Dhp, korobete, isi even English is a lot of quality out the door, plus hodge having a mare and To'omua just a shadow of his former self. First thing for rebels is they need to win against the drua next week as losing that game would be a disaster given drua a weak side but equally drua would be targeting this game for a win that will be hard for them to find this season.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
A lot of people blaming To'omua, frankly I think he is playing within a shit system and having poor selections made with him and around him. He can be a good player if played in the rugby system, with the right players around him in the right position.

To'omua isn’t the cause of the problems.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
To me losing Dhp, korobete, isi even English is a lot of quality out the door, plus hodge having a mare and To'omua just a shadow of his former self. First thing for rebels is they need to win against the drua next week as losing that game would be a disaster given drua a weak side but equally drua would be targeting this game for a win that will be hard for them to find this season.

plus Hosea, Hardwick, pone, Leota & kellaway leave a big hole however a lot haven’t offered much much in 160 min this year

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
IMHO, it am issue that's been rolling on for awhile internally in the Rebels. The organisation seem to make the same decisions expecting different outcomes. Replacing coaches internally does not work when you have a continuing performance and cultural issue. We are seeing that.

To'omua is an average 10 at best when he has a good day. He was average at the Brumbies towards the end of his tenure even with good cattle around him and he has not provided what Rebels need at 10. The Rebel cut a rookie who archived the same result as To'omua did last night, and in many games at 10 in previous seasons.

His strength is his kicking game, and Gordon also has a kicking game so merely having To'omua on with him have To'omua's influence on the kicking tactics. To'omua is not a strong attacking running centre (thus the kicking and defence) so it already limits the options for Gordon. its also why with To'omua at 12 your 13 tends to be anonymous. The balance is not there nad it where Koribête is missed - he was the key running option as you have nothing in the centres.

Hodge needs change as he is a frustrated man, used as a stop gap who is now lost as to his role in a failing system. Time for him to move on.

Their is sufficient cattle available to put on far better performances. Watching Carter Gordon I get the sense that he is being told just to do the very bare minimum rather than play his game. He looked ok in the back half of the game; certainly no worse than the To'omua.

Firstly, they need to recruit a coach from outside to refresh the whole thing.

The other changes are move To'omua on as his presences is sufficient influence to keep driving down the dead end road and he offers a foolish temptation to naïve coaches that he is a solution; when he is not. The last few season have shown this. Similarly with Hodge, he needs to move for his own sake let alone the teams sake.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
A lot of people blaming To'omua, frankly I think he is playing within a shit system and having poor selections made with him and around him. He can be a good player if played in the rugby system, with the right players around him in the right position.

To'omua isn’t the cause of the problems.
On the “ playing within a shit system” care to elaborate..

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
IMHO, it am issue that's been rolling on for awhile internally in the Rebels. The organisation seem to make the same decisions expecting different outcomes. Replacing coaches internally does not work when you have a continuing performance and cultural issue. We are seeing that.

To'omua is an average 10 at best when he has a good day. He was average at the Brumbies towards the end of his tenure even with good cattle around him and he has not provided what Rebels need at 10. The Rebel cut a rookie who archived the same result as To'omua did last night, and in many games at 10 in previous seasons.

His strength is his kicking game, and Gordon also has a kicking game so merely having To'omua on with him have To'omua's influence on the kicking tactics. To'omua is not a strong attacking running centre (thus the kicking and defence) so it already limits the options for Gordon. its also why with To'omua at 12 your 13 tends to be anonymous. The balance is not there nad it where Koribête is missed - he was the key running option as you have nothing in the centres.

Hodge needs change as he is a frustrated man, used as a stop gap who is now lost as to his role in a failing system. Time for him to move on.

Their is sufficient cattle available to put on far better performances. Watching Carter Gordon I get the sense that he is being told just to do the very bare minimum rather than play his game. He looked ok in the back half of the game; certainly no worse than the To'omua.

Firstly, they need to recruit a coach from outside to refresh the whole thing.

The other changes are move To'omua on as his presences is sufficient influence to keep driving down the dead end road and he offers a foolish temptation to naïve coaches that he is a solution; when he is not. The last few season have shown this. Similarly with Hodge, he needs to move for his own sake let alone the teams sake.
Yeah, you are spot on. Gordon and To'omua don’t work. They appear to fight over who is taking the touch kicks too. Gordon has a smart rugby brain and I would hate to see his confidence diminish through no fault of his own. He doesn’t have any solid strength around him and it seems his duties as a playmaker are diluted because To'omua wants the control. Gordon went better last year against the NZ teams because he controlled the game. Team went better without To'omua. They even started scoring tries. Massive fail Foote!
Time to get Gordon out of there.

EDIT. Just noticed Mason Gordon is not on the Rebels 2023 page as contracted. Another talented rugby brain. Get him out too.

Last edited:
Reactions: mst

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
rebels struggling IMO with a popgun 4-8.

Philip and RHP are not dominant locks in tight, and wallis/wells/wilkins has to be one of the smallest backrow combos in professional rugby.

Yes they are missing Hosea and Leota - but I would be pulling out the stops and giving some big new islander boys a mission and a chance to execute it - go forward!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
rebels struggling IMO with a popgun 4-8.

Philip and RHP are not dominant locks in tight, and wallis/wells/wilkins has to be one of the smallest backrow combos in professional rugby.

Yes they are missing Hosea and Leota - but I would be pulling out the stops and giving some big new islander boys a mission and a chance to execute it - go forward!
Pity they lost isi - as leota, Iaoane, isi…hey imagine if rebels had kept Melbourne boy Valetini. I don’t know the development pathways seem to be bringing on good Pi players in Melbourne so bigger problem seems to maybe sorting out the coaching and yes reading mst post bringing new thinking and moving completely away from the failed wessels era which Foote was a part of. I think the rebels made a massive mistake not to take the opportunity to look outside.

Last edited:

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
DHP and Isi would have played 4 games between them last year. On paper it hurts but it’s not like they actually played that often

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
DHP and Isi would have played 4 games between them last year. On paper it hurts but it’s not like they actually played that often
But we are explaining a couple of seasons here of decline…anyhow yes reflecting I think the bigger problem is after many years of underperforming and yes with stronger squad on paper in prior years we have not sort major change with the coaching by looking internally then outside. I think the rebels can’t afford to keep with status quo but if no improvement over the season I think they will need to be brutal and cut Foote and some key coaching staff and players who are maybe past their time. Give them a entire season but be prepared for a major clean out as this underperforming been going on to long and I don’t think this will be solved tinkering around the edges. Ps nothing against Foote and hope he his team turn it round but skeptical at this point given already had many years with the rebel and their history of under performance.

Last edited:

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
But we are explaining a couple of seasons here of decline…anyhow yes reflecting I think the bigger problem is after many years of underperforming and yes with stronger squad on paper in prior years we have not sort major change with the coaching by looking internally then outside. I think the rebels can’t afford to keep with status quo but if no improvement over the season I think they will need to be brutal and cut Foote and some key coaching staff and players who are maybe past their time. Give them a entire season but be prepared for a major clean out as this underperforming been going on to long and I don’t think this will be solved tinkering around the edges. Ps nothing against Foote and hope he his team turn it round but skeptical at this point given already had many years with the rebel and their history of under performance.
Nothing personal with Foote but how I see it is you cannot just appoint the 2IC

I am a Pies fan in the AFL they sacked Buckley and in the process let go Harvey who was the 2IC in the Buckley era. It’s hard to say if they are going to bounce back this year but they are in a far better position to effect change

Foote would have had a big influence on the Rebels program when he was the senior assistant so all you aren’t really going to see much of a fresh start

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Nothing personal with Foote but how I see it is you cannot just appoint the 2IC

I am a Pies fan in the AFL they sacked Buckley and in the process let go Harvey who was the 2IC in the Buckley era. It’s hard to say if they are going to bounce back this year but they are in a far better position to effect change

Foote would have had a big influence on the Rebels program when he was the senior assistant so all you aren’t really going to see much of a fresh start
Yep rebels were given quality of roster under wessels / Foote had year on year under performed so to select the 2iC did seem strange. As surely you don’t promote your 2iC as top dog after years of under performance but maybe more like what did with Coleman at tahs appoint a new head coach who could maybe develop / guide Foote to grow as a coach in same way where defence last year under Gilmore dreadful at tahs but now looking solid so far.