• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Hopefully he goes better than the other ex-Rebels who went to NZ and couldn't get a starting berth.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I don't mean to be alarmist, but it seems that you guys are without a head coach for next year and are losing a crazy amount of squad players / team leaders, especially relative to other teams who are locking down their core squad:

+ Toby Smith
+ Sean McMahon
+ Jack Debreczeni
+ Ben Meehan
+ Mitch Inham

Even if the Force get the cut, next year might be bad for you (assuming the Force players don't head over // don't perform well due to be disgruntled with the move):

1. Weeks
2. Hason
3. Lomax
4. Jeffries
5. Parling
6. ?
7. Fainga'a
8. Timani
9. Stirzacker
10. Horwitz
11. Koroibete / Hutchison
12. Hodge
13. English / Tuipolotu
14. Naivalu
15. Maddocks

I like the backline but the forward pack fills me with absolutely no hope.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Hopefully he goes better than the other ex-Rebels who went to NZ and couldn't get a starting berth.

Given Woowah had a hammy injury (or was it his back) in his first preseason, then tore his ACL on his first or 2nd game back playing Club Rugby (The form of NMS allowing the Canes to bring him back outside the comp), you can't say it was all his fault.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I don't mean to be alarmist, but it seems that you guys are without a head coach for next year and are losing a crazy amount of squad players / team leaders, especially relative to other teams who are locking down their core squad:

+ Toby Smith
+ Sean McMahon
+ Jack Debreczeni
+ Ben Meehan
+ Mitch Inham

Even if the Force get the cut, next year might be bad for you (assuming the Force players don't head over // don't perform well due to be disgruntled with the move):

1. Weeks
2. Hason
3. Lomax
4. Jeffries
5. Parling
6. ?
7. Fainga'a
8. Timani
9. Stirzacker
10. Horwitz
12. Hodge
13. English / Tuipolotu
14. Naivalu
15. Maddocks

"I don't mean to be alarmist, but ima gonna go and be alarmist..."

Yeah mate, it's all looking a bit grey and awful. Moot point either way - if we're cooked then it means nada; if Force cop it then there will be some blokes looking for a berth.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Given Woowah had a hammy injury (or was it his back) in his first preseason, then tore his ACL on his first or 2nd game back playing Club Rugby (The form of NMS allowing the Canes to bring him back outside the comp), you can't say it was all his fault.

Ged was great for us then never really got past the magoos over there. I say it because I genuinely like Toby and wish him all the best, not the have a jab at guys that went home and didn't do too well.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member

Still, Woody did start on the win in the Super Rugby final last year. Not a bad way to finish.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)

It's less than ideal when you consider only contracted players.

and don't get me wrong, even with my reasonable assumptions, the front row is bottom 3 or 4 weak and the halves are still the worst in the competition.

But, when you chuck on a couple of capable Super blokes like Cruze & Reid, and if the rumours are true, Mafi again. Add on Jeffries, Toolis and Leota, who'll effectively be brand new recruits and you've got a more competent than one which we put out last year.

Aside from the Alarmist post but I'll put down not an alarmist to make me seem even handed,

Maddocks, Sefa, English, Hodge, Koroibete, Horwitz, Stirzaker, Sa'aga, Hanson, Lomax, Parling, Jeffries, Timani, Fainga'a, Mafi

Res: Uelese, Ah-Nau, Weeks, Toolis/Cummins, Reid/Leota, Goddard, JGB, Hutchison/Tuipulotu

is a better side than the one you put up for consideration

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
*snip

Maddocks, Sefa, English, Hodge, Koroibete, Horwitz, Stirzaker, Sa'aga, Hanson, Lomax, Parling, Jeffries, Timani, Fainga'a, Mafi

Res: Uelese, Ah-Nau, Weeks, Toolis/Cummins, Reid/Leota, Goddard, JGB, Hutchison/Tuipulotu*snip
In an ideal world the two young props would have another year coming off the bench but I'd expect them to hold their own against a lot of teams if they both have to start.

If Coleman isn't available I wouldn't be against us going after Simmons. We need another good lock.

A backrow of Timani, Fa'ainga and Mafi is as good or better than any other Aussie team.

I really hope Goddard comes on quickly. We desperately need a decent halves combo otherwise that backline looks the goods.

If (and it's a bloody big if) we can keep our best players playing and pick up a good coach we'll have a competitive side next year.

It looks like there are around twelve spots available on the roster. At least a few of the out of contract players will probably be renewed. Hopefully we'll keep all of the young guys and see a few new starting players signed soon.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
of the 37 player profiles on the Rebels Web page, 9 have definitely gone, there are 7 others who's status i'm not sure of. including some who will probably go, Leafa, Shipperley, Retallick, Siliva, Fou ?

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

+ Toby Smith
+ Sean McMahon
+ Jack Debreczeni
+ Ben Meehan
+ Mitch Inham

1. Weeks
2. Hason
3. Lomax
4. Jeffries
5. Parling
6. ?
7. Fainga'a
8. Timani
9. Stirzacker
10. Horwitz
12. Hodge
13. English / Tuipolotu
14. Naivalu
15. Maddocks

Yes, you are. You do realise the situation we are in, right? You can't compare us to the Tahs / Reds / Brumbies.

A lot is hinging on the events of next week.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
of the 37 player profiles on the Rebels Web page, 9 have definitely gone, there are 7 others who's status i'm not sure of. including some who will probably go, Leafa, Shipperley, Retallick, Siliva, Fou ?
I'd be happy if Shipperley was re-signed, he was playing some cracking footy before his injury. Fou hasn't really had a chance to show anything, I wouldn't mind seeing him get another year.

Status
Not open for further replies.