• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
It's more than about propping up a Super Rugby team. There's money to be made from big ticket events like Bledisloe Cup matches etc.

And return on assets, i.e. AAMI park.

No doubt the Government will put in place measure for the Rebels to be self-sustaining after x years. Might even offer shares in the "MRRU Co.", ala Own the Force.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
It's more than about propping up a Super Rugby team. There's money to be made from big ticket events like Bledisloe Cup matches etc.

State Government has had a lot of involvement with other sports. That figure was the government/consortium so don't know how true.

i appreciate that it is part of an overall package, still i'm not sure the "return" is going to be forthcoming.

D

daz

Might even offer shares in the "MRRU Co.", ala Own the Force.

Smart move by the Force to roll that out, but gee I bet there were a few sleepless nights for the board when it went live. What if no-one showed up!

WA is in a bit of an economic downturn right now, so to fork out $1,000 is not insignificant to the average family.

But it really appears to have been a PR dream, big risk for big reward, and big credit to the Force for having the balls to pull it off. Please excuse my mixed metaphors and double entendre.

I often wonder, what if the same thing was done in Melbourne, would we be as enthusiastic? I'm really not sure we would, just quietly.

I'm not sure it is exactly the right word, but I think we just expect that we will have a team. At the least, I feel we are not as vocal as the Force supporters. That isn't a criticism, as noise doesn't equate to passion, but still, sometimes noise creates perception to outsiders.

Again, just an observation, but the Force games I have been to in Perth have a bit more AFL crowd feel about it; cheering, booing, screaming, opposition player and ref "advice" freely given. In Melbourne, it's a bit more restrained. Fucking hell, I've lost count how many times the stadium announcer has to tell us to "make some noise".

Also, I don't wear Rebels colours to games, and neither do many around me; we dress to go out afterwards, which means some colour and tribal vibrancy is lost on tv, compared to the sea of blue for example.

Without knowing the average annual membership numbers for both teams over the last 5 years or so, it would be an interesting theoretical exercise to find out what percentage of the Force members paid for the stock, and what percentage of the Rebels members would do the same.

It's not less passionate, but different. The trouble is, to everyone else, perhaps the perception is we are.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Smart move by the Force to roll that out, but gee I bet there were a few sleepless nights for the board when it went live. What if no-one showed up!

WA is in a bit of an economic downturn right now, so to fork out $1,000 is not insignificant to the average family.

But it really appears to have been a PR dream, big risk for big reward, and big credit to the Force for having the balls to pull it off. Please excuse my mixed metaphors and double entendre.

I often wonder, what if the same thing was done in Melbourne, would we be as enthusiastic? I'm really not sure we would, just quietly.

I'm not sure it is exactly the right word, but I think we just expect that we will have a team. At the least, I feel we are not as vocal as the Force supporters. That isn't a criticism, as noise doesn't equate to passion, but still, sometimes noise creates perception to outsiders.

Again, just an observation, but the Force games I have been to in Perth have a bit more AFL crowd feel about it; cheering, booing, screaming, opposition player and ref "advice" freely given. In Melbourne, it's a bit more restrained. Fucking hell, I've lost count how many times the stadium announcer has to tell us to "make some noise".

Also, I don't wear Rebels colours to games, and neither do many around me; we dress to go out afterwards, which means some colour and tribal vibrancy is lost on tv, compared to the sea of blue for example.

Without knowing the average annual membership numbers for both teams over the last 5 years or so, it would be an interesting theoretical exercise to find out what percentage of the Force members paid for the stock, and what percentage of the Rebels members would do the same.

It's not less passionate, but different. The trouble is, to everyone else, perhaps the perception is we are.

I think that a community-ownership model would be fantastic if it could be applied to every Australian Super Rugby team. Especially if we end up in a Pacific S12 with just the kiwis/Japan/Fiji.The only thing is shareholder representation on the board. I have no idea how the governance should be structured, but given that the Packers seem to work, it must be able to function effectively somehow.

On the topic of crowds, I know what you mean. Any time in an Australian rugby crowd that I've made noise, I get told by somebody to sit down/shut up. I could understand that if I was being abusive, but some people go to games to 'watch the football in peace', apparently. I just don't go to live matches anymore.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I often wonder, what if the same thing was done in Melbourne, would we be as enthusiastic? I'm really not sure we would, just quietly. i agree with this

I'm not sure it is exactly the right word, but I think we just expect that we will have a team. At the least, I feel we are not as vocal as the Force supporters. That isn't a criticism, as noise doesn't equate to passion, but still, sometimes noise creates perception to outsiders. exactly

Again, just an observation, but the Force games I have been to in Perth have a bit more AFL crowd feel about it; cheering, booing, screaming, opposition player and ref "advice" freely given. In Melbourne, it's a bit more restrained. not around where i sit but in general much less vocal and not near enough barracking for the home team Fucking hell, I've lost count how many times the stadium announcer has to tell us to "make some noise".

i made these same observations in the Rebels 17 or where to for super or ??? one of the other threads. this year its seems like they (The Rebels organisation) have just meandered along feeling secure in Cox and his $, perhaps mislead by the ARU, but as the season slipped into catastrophe there didn't seem much overt effort to turn the ship around.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Passive support is balls. Notice it everywhere over here. Maybe it's because of the cringeworthy stuff that comes out from the media when they try to force it (see, the oh so hilarious in retrospect ads prior to the England tour). Sit in the expensive seats or at home if you want a neutered game experience.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
active and positive spectatorship thats the go. not quite the full Shiggins, but you know, good natured abuse and banter, "Rebels" chants, getting stuck into the AR's and Refs, not the refs always wrong, the opposition always cheat, we wuz robbed, again !

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
active and positive spectatorship thats the go. not quite the full Shiggins, but you know, good natured abuse and banter, "Rebels" chants, getting stuck into the AR's and Refs, not the refs always wrong, the opposition always cheat, we wuz robbed, again !

Yes, a lot of semi passive supporters like myself enjoy listening to/watching partisan supporting as long as it is not that AFL vitriol with no appreciation of good opposition play.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
I'm not a fan of ruling out abuse entirely.

As long as it doesn't touch on the big four (Gender, Race, Sexuality and Religion) anything and everything should be fair game.

Whether that's Quade for being such a shit Kiwi so he had to come over here, or Hunt for his Cocaine dealing, or Foley for being a lying ass, or Beale for being an all round fuckwit, or Hooper for having the most punchable face in Rugby and being a shit captain, or Moore for being Bald and being a shit captain etc.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)

As long as it doesn't touch on the big four (Gender, Race, Sexuality and Religion) anything and everything should be fair game.

Whether that's Quade for being such a shit Kiwi so he had to come over here, or Hunt for his Cocaine dealing, or Foley for being a lying ass, or Beale for being an all round fuckwit, or Hooper for having the most punchable face in Rugby and being a shit captain, or Moore for being Bald and being a shit captain etc.

don't hold back

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Don't get me wrong, Stirzaker, Retallick, Garden-Bachop, Debreczini, Koroibete (mostly kicking), Timani (yellow card v Brumbies), Volavola, English, Chibba and others were on the end of plenty of abuse.

As were Wayne Barnes, Glen Jackson and Angus Gardner.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Don't get me wrong, Stirzaker, Retallick, Garden-Bachop, Debreczini, Koroibete (mostly kicking), Timani (yellow card v Brumbies), Volavola, English, Chibba and others were on the end of plenty of abuse.

As were Wayne Barnes, Glen Jackson and Angus Gardner.

Add Bernard Foley and you have my list too

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

I laughed because I think I've used all of this at some point!

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Also, I don't wear Rebels colours to games, and neither do many around me; we dress to go out afterwards, which means some colour and tribal vibrancy is lost on tv, compared to the sea of blue.
Seriously, trying to find somewhere to go out after a Perth game is very hard (especially for out-of-towners). You may as well wear your supporter gear. Seriously, even the hotel bar closed by 10pm on a Friday night (and this was the team's hotel!).

And, by the way, having been to games at AAMI Park and nib, I find Force and Rebels supporters to be similar in passion. You need to change seats, Daz, because where we sit in the stockade it is loud and passionate (and we don't need an announcer to tell us when to cheer - we know).

Tex

Greg Davis (50)

To be fair there aren't too many other options in the desert capital.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)

Mate it's a bit hard when the ref is always wrong and the dog bastard opposition always cheat.

(Until I see the replay and promptly apologise to my neighbours for the streams of invective!)

D

daz

i'm equally likely to be yelling abuse at a stupid Rebels player as the Ref.

Could not like this comment enough. Infinity +1.

I usually don't waste my time sledging the opposition players when my candy-assed players are right there, fucking up in front of me.

;)

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Seriously, trying to find somewhere to go out after a Perth game is very hard (especially for out-of-towners). You may as well wear your supporter gear. Seriously, even the hotel bar closed by 10pm on a Friday night (and this was the team's hotel!).

And, by the way, having been to games at AAMI Park and nib, I find Force and Rebels supporters to be similar in passion. You need to change seats, Daz, because where we sit in the stockade it is loud and passionate (and we don't need an announcer to tell us when to cheer - we know).
Oh how 10pm sounds nicer than last weeks 3am. Very hung over with a 1 year old was not fun.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.