• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

Chris McKivat (8)
Look, I'll make you a deal. Clearly you are likely to have Davey boy next year.

But, could you at least clone him and send us one?

Actually, that isn't a deal so much as outright begging.

;)

You'd almost have to clone the entire coaching team. It's not just Wessels you'd be after.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Looks like Harley Fox is off to Connact.

797bae6ca6938fd53e6dd9a5248cd05e.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Plenty of pickings from the latest Wayne Smith piece:

There were unconfirmed reports last night that Melbourne Rebels owner Andrew Cox had signed over the Super Rugby licence to the Victorian Rugby Union.

If true, it almost certainly spells the end of the Australian Rugby Union’s hopes of buying the licence back from Cox and closing down the Rebels, in accord with its promise to SANZAAR in January that it will cull one of its five Super Rugby sides in time for next season.

It is understood that no consortium is involved in the deal and that the VRU would assume stewardship of the Rebels, at least for the short term. How that would impact on Cox and his financial stake in the franchise remains to be seen.

Something something Sunwoolves, something something lift your game. Then.

Yet it would be irresponsible of the ARU at this point not to be at least considering approaching SANZAAR with a warning that, because of legal manoeuvres, it cannot keep its word and that the 2018 Super Rugby draw will have to be done on the basis of all five Australian teams participating.

Intriguingly, an ARU spokesman said yesterday that no action would be taken by the national body before the arbitration process between the Force and the ARU has run its course. The process is expected to begin on Monday week.

If the court decides in favour of the Force, the Perth club cannot be kicked out Super Rugby before 2020, and maybe not even then, if the on-field performance of the side of late are taken into consideration.

In the event that the Force does prevail at arbitration, the ARU then would have no option but to cut the Rebels.

It is in this light that the ARU’s present inaction become understandable. The only way any deal between the VRU and Cox can be ratified is if the ARU signs off on it. But it would be extremely reluctant to do so if that thereby secured the future of the franchise.

Small wonder the ARU is keeping its powder dry, awaiting the outcome of the arbitration hearing, to determine if it is able to cull the Force — seemingly still its first preference — or, instead, move on to the Rebels.

If this whole imbroglio is not already complicated enough, there are further stumbling blocks. Even if the ARU wins the arbitration decision, that almost certainly will not be the end of it.

But this bit was the hidden treasure...

One rumour, however, did prove to be entirely unfounded. There was a strong suggestion that Rob Clarke, who resigned last month as chief operations officer of the ARU, was acting as a consultant for the VRU/Rebels. However, Clarke contacted The Australian last night to insist there was no substance to the reports.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...u/news-story/b09acdc026023b2421f5429e3af5bb74

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maybe I'm off base here, but don't the ARU have to approve any sale of the Rebels?

If the ARU allow the Rebels sale then the Rebels are effectively safe, right?

They wouldn't allow the sale just to shut it down?

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Maybe I'm off base here, but don't the ARU have to approve any sale of the Rebels?

Why wouldn't they allow the sale just to shut it down?

In fact, if allowing the sale would allow them a way out of the mess they've got themselves into, it would seem to make plenty of sense from the ARU's point of view.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

They do have to approve the sale and the article seems to indicate they haven't done that yet.

Previous rumours (really, rumours?) suggested the ARU have approved the sale / transfer to the VRU in lieu of damages brought by Cox and co, in which case the Rebels are safe. Hence no mediation between those parties.

The ARU are waiting until their arbitration with the Force / WARugby before making their next move, I guess. You would think if the alliance agreement states the Force have a team until at least the end of the 2020 season they are safe, I don't know how else you can read it if there is a date involved, regardless of whether a new broadcast deal was signed. But that is all lawyer stuff I don't understand.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I hope the rebels stay but some serious questions to be answered.

Any indication as to how much the VRU paid (presumably another $1 sale) and how they plan on covering the millions of dollars each year required to keep the team afloat? Is that where the government comes in?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
I don't think the ARU know what they are going to do yet.
Just waiting until after arbitration before they get serious.

It wouldn't surprise me though that they may be looking at and researching alternatives with SANZAAR. Key issue here is, as SCobber says, funding for the REbs which I don't think would be a problem if Cox is out of the picture.
I think the ARU would want to still have control or veto rights in all areas.

I don't see why Sanzaar would be against a 16 team comp particularly now the South Africans have a somewhat positive outcome for their cut teams?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
My take on how things will turn out

16 teams (3 conferences)
Australia will be lumped with the freaky 6 team conference which will include the Sunwolves. This will be done to improve the Sunwolves position and it just makes sense

15 teams (round robin)
Sharks will leave the competition to pastures North

14 teams
Jaguares will realise that their "must play for Jaguares to play for Argentina" is not the way to go for them after a horrible World Cup campaign
South Africa announce this will be their last season in Super Rugby acknowledging playing in the North makes sense commercially and geographically. 3/4 teams in the world cup semis are from the North so the better competition is up there.

Trans-tasman 11 team competition (inc Fiji)

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Any indication as to how much the VRU paid (presumably another $1 sale) and how they plan on covering the millions of dollars each year required to keep the team afloat? Is that where the government comes in?

Yes, that is where the Vic government comes in. They are prepared to back them, but not while privately owned (I believe).

D

daz

I don't think the ARU know what they are going to do yet.
Just waiting until after arbitration before they get serious.

I think this is probably the most sensible comment yet.

I think the ARU know what they want to do, but actually doing it is the issue.

They don't need to get down and dirty with the Rebels just yet; if they get a positive outcome at arbitration with the Force, then legal appeals aside, its relatively cut and dried.

If, and it's a very possible if, the Force prevail, then and only then will the ARU shift into full-time cut Rebels mode.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)

I've heard its between 17-20 million of lovely state government tax payer money. If true and the ARU go for the chop it won't be pretty.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Geez i hope not. i want the Rebels to stay but certainly don't think the tax payer should be funding them. its simply not a good investment imo.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Geez i hope not. i want the Rebels to stay but certainly don't think the tax payer should be funding them. its simply not a good investment imo.
It's more than about propping up a Super Rugby team. There's money to be made from big ticket events like Bledisloe Cup matches etc.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)

State Government has had a lot of involvement with other sports. That figure was the government/consortium so don't know how true.

Status
Not open for further replies.