• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
So, after the Force's win over the Tahs WA businessman Andrew Forrest has pledged to save the Force (he must have White Knight Syndrome). Cause for concern?

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
So, after the Force's win over the Tahs WA businessman Andrew Forrest has pledged to save the Force (he must have White Knight Syndrome). Cause for concern?

As you know, I think the biggest problem you have is our Alliance contract with the ARU, assuming it holds.

But ref your question:
IMO this new Twiggy intervention will make the ARU far less inclined to make a deal with Cox allowing him to sell to the VRU group.
This is obviously due to his wealth and influence Australia wide. But also the individual ARU board members will be far more likely to be impressed by the arrival of Twiggy for their own self interest.

I also think the arrival of big big money on the other side will make it easier for Cox to make the excuse that the only sensible thing for him to do is to exit cash in hand from the ARU. Wishing the VRU the best of luck. He gave it his best shot but......

Regardless of the accuracy of my guesses, I think it is a cause for concern.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yeah, I think my concern is unfounded. The ARU should be concerned, though, especially if it is true they have already settled legal proceedings with Imperium with a deal to keep the Rebels. It will mean the ARU need to do some hasty / grovelling negotiations with SANZAAR!

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I am leaning towards no teams cut. There's murmurs about the Sharks going north as well, murmurs about the Sunwolves being abolished by the JRU, the dramatic downturn in the Argentinian national team since they refuse to pick players not from the Jaguares. There seems to be a more open mind in nz as the weeks go by to existence without SA. Then locally the ARU can't get rid of the Rebels unless Cox decides to, the back up plan is for debts to be underwritten by the political juggernaut that is the Victorian government. The force are the easiest to get rid of, but they have shown to have got their shit together off the field. Performance on the field when compared to the pile of shit being dished up by the other aus franchises has been good. Now with Forest promising resources why wouldn't the aru take advantage of that. It's 5 teams next year in a competition I don't think we will expect.

D

daz

It amuses me that Cox has been painted by some as just in it for the money and therefore the Rebels will eventually fold when Cox makes his exit target.

Yet, Twiggy is an amazing saviour who makes the best promises, and is a hero with the best interests of the Force at heart, not just a businessman.

Cox has skin in the game and has earned his place and our respect, no matter the outcome. Where was The Twig when the Force really needed him, in years past and especially the last few months?

Fucking yawn.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It amuses me that Cox has been painted by some as just in it for the money and therefore the Rebels will eventually fold when Cox makes his exit target.

Yet, Twiggy is an amazing saviour who makes the best promises, and is a hero with the best interests of the Force at heart, not just a businessman.
I have seen these saviours before. Come in at the last minute and whether it eventuates or not, they are seen in a good light, as they gave it a shot. Not saying Twiggy isn't genuine, but I agree about Cox - why is there constant talk of him only after a big payout when he has publicly and repeatedly stated he isn't out to sell the Rebels license?

D

daz

I have seen these saviours before. Come in at the last minute and whether it eventuates or not, they are seen in a good light, as they gave it a shot. Not saying Twiggy isn't genuine, but I agree about Cox - why is there constant talk of him only after a big payout when he has publicly and repeatedly stated he isn't out to sell the Rebels license?

Agree, but what Cox actually said was he wouldn't sell if it meant the Rebels would be folded.

He will sell, no doubt, but not to see the team go.

D

daz

As you know, I think the biggest problem you have is our Alliance contract with the ARU, assuming it holds.

But ref your question:
IMO this new Twiggy intervention will make the ARU far less inclined to make a deal with Cox allowing him to sell to the VRU group.
This is obviously due to his wealth and influence Australia wide. But also the individual ARU board members will be far more likely to be impressed by the arrival of Twiggy for their own self interest.

I also think the arrival of big big money on the other side will make it easier for Cox to make the excuse that the only sensible thing for him to do is to exit cash in hand from the ARU. Wishing the VRU the best of luck. He gave it his best shot but..

Regardless of the accuracy of my guesses, I think it is a cause for concern.

You understand that Cox was suing the ARU for damages, right? And the alleged settlement was to drop claims in return for a viable Rebels team?

Anything else will result in Cox reloading his original lawsuit, with another for breach of promise.

Maybe Twiggy could pay the lawsuit and Rebels licence out of his pocket to keep the Force. That's $6m for the licence and let's say $10m for damages.

B

BLR

You understand that Cox was suing the ARU for damages, right? And the alleged settlement was to drop claims in return for a viable Rebels team?

Anything else will result in Cox reloading his original lawsuit, with another for breach of promise.

Maybe Twiggy could pay the lawsuit and Rebels licence out of his pocket to keep the Force. That's $6m for the licence and let's say $10m for damages.

So the ARU have approved this plan?

Didn't Nick McArdle say the ARU were yet to approve it?

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)

I want both teams to stay, but the Q was "is there a cause for concern".

I also think Cox is a good guy, but my view that he wants out comes from the comments of Rebs supporters on these pages including yourself.
The hypothesised reason he wants out is due to the debts incurred so far and likely future losses.

If his lawsuit for damages is so strong why then is this a concern. Clearly his lawsuit is not nearly as strong as you think.
Is this an illogical thought process? do you have any evidence to back up your strong lawsuit claims?

Anyway funnily enough this whole horrible process has given me a sympathy and like for Rebs supporters that was not there before. Hopefully we will all survive.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
I am leaning towards no teams cut. There's murmurs about the Sharks going north as well, murmurs about the Sunwolves being abolished by the JRU, the dramatic downturn in the Argentinian national team since they refuse to pick players not from the Jaguares. There seems to be a more open mind in nz as the weeks go by to existence without SA. Then locally the ARU can't get rid of the Rebels unless Cox decides to, the back up plan is for debts to be underwritten by the political juggernaut that is the Victorian government. The force are the easiest to get rid of, but they have shown to have got their shit together off the field. Performance on the field when compared to the pile of shit being dished up by the other aus franchises has been good. Now with Forest promising resources why wouldn't the aru take advantage of that. It's 5 teams next year in a competition I don't think we will expect.
Totally agree, if the ARU's position has been to cull a team due to the financial unsustainability of 5 teams, then it stands to reason that if the financial performance of the Force and Rebels is underwritten by both Forrest and the Victorian Gov at least until the end of the current broadcast deal in 2020, then there is no argument to cull one team. The debate around the value of 5 teams in terms of depth is entirely subjective and can be argued strongly either way. Should both the franchises in question get that financial backing then the spot light is really back on the other 3 teams for their financial and on field performances. As a long time suffering Waratahs supporter I think that they and the Reds have some real sole searching to do, in fact they should be embarrassed by their performances relative to the other 3 franchises this year. I am in favour of 5 teams for the future of our game, if we walk away from Victoria or WA, then its a certainty that there's no going back. The ARU need to find a way to help grow the game across the country, rather than just chucking $$ at the problem, find ways to install growth programs that will ultimately make all franchises financially self sufficient. If the Vic Gov and Forrest underwrite those franchises, then that is the time for the ARU to build on the growth that the WA and VRU have achieved in their junior programs.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)

Where can I read more about the JRU wanting to cut the Sunwolves? Haven't heard that one before.

B

BLR

Why would they want to do that? Before the World Cup? Can't be true.

Well, it definetely could be true. (Not saying it is)They have a super powerful company based league, think Shute Shield on steroids, pre Super Rugby.

Japan is a strange place in some ways, I would not be surprised if they bowed to pressure from these powerful corporations to save face from trying to push a underperforming Sunwolves side. Even if it harms their image outside of Japan.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well, it definetely could be true. (Not saying it is)They have a super powerful company based league, think Shute Shield on steroids, pre Super Rugby.

Japan is a strange place in some ways, I would not be surprised if they bowed to pressure from these powerful corporations to save face from trying to push a underperforming Sunwolves side. Even if it harms their image outside of Japan.
If you put it that way, maybe it is true!

B

BLR

If you put it that way, maybe it is true!

Well it's one of the reasons that the Sunwolves haven't been so competitive, trying to get released for players from the corporate leagues has been a huge pain in the arse and from what I understand not entirely successful.

N

NTT

Cox has skin in the game and has earned his place and our respect, no matter the outcome. Where was The Twig when the Force really needed him, in years past and especially the last few months?

Fucking yawn.

Nice post from one of our esteemed moderators and upholder of site standards.

But also a short memory. Remember our first 7 seasons? We weren't drowning in $33 million of losses and making under the table deals with a recently departed ARU employee to white ant a fellow Australian team.

Status
Not open for further replies.