• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeh that's it. They would have to go everywhere and we would definately lose some to over seas. Saying that. Quite a few rebels are already leaving anyway

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeh that's it. They would have to go everywhere and we would definately lose some to over seas. Saying that. Quite a few rebels are already leaving anyway

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Yeah, the players leaving means we have the most space. I imagine the blokes that still have control over their contracts (Coleman for example) might choose the "F the establishment" option. That's just speculation though.

Either way, we're the logical landing place for Force players and they're the logical landing place for Rebels players.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Serious question. What role will the ARU play, if any, in the distribution of players from the culled side? I seem to recall in their earlier press releases they said something about allocating contracted players to other franchises. If players have already sorted their next team out, will the ARU be likely to scupper any of those plans if they think too many or not the right ones are heading to one particular franchise? After all, the stated aim of the cull is to strengthen all the Aus franchises, not just one.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Serious question. What role will the ARU play, if any, in the distribution of players from the culled side? I seem to recall in their earlier press releases they said something about allocating contracted players to other franchises. If players have already sorted their next team out, will the ARU be likely to scupper any of those plans if they think too many or not the right ones are heading to one particular franchise? After all, the stated aim of the cull is to strengthen all the Aus franchises, not just one.
I thought it was to save money? I doubt the ARU has any rights to enforce anything when it comes to players choosing the best relocation for them and their families.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Just when you thought he Genia thing was all over, looks like there is a chance he could end up at the Rebels (or Brumbies) next year.

Unless, of course, the Reds release one of their three halfbacks, and entice them over to the Brumbies or Rebels.

Think the ARU would want him down in Melbourne, purely because they don't want Genia stealing game time from Powell.

If he came down here, it would also invoke a rethink about the captaincy for little Red.

So much to play out...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...d/news-story/b640e047852680557a2327eff7894a23

L

Leo86

Yep the ARU top up system is based on fairness too (it really shits me i cant put 3 fullstops after my tongue-in-cheek comments)

Also ive felt for a while now that Coleman isnt putting pen to paper so he can be in charge of his own destiny (thanks for the words Cheik). Realistically any franchise will want him and since the ARU are going honour contracts and so forth im sure they will make allowances concerning salary caps and squad numbers.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)

And a stupid (although probably true) answer. They will call up the Waratahs and ask which players they want from the culled side and make sure they get whoever they want.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just when you thought he Genia thing was all over, looks like there is a chance he could end up at the Rebels (or Brumbies) next year.

Unless, of course, the Reds release one of their three halfbacks, and entice them over to the Brumbies or Rebels.

I doubt he'll end up at the Brumbies with Powell, Lonergan and apparently Lucas all signed........

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
I doubt he'll end up at the Brumbies with Powell, Lonergan and apparently Lucas all signed....

As I said above, I can't see the ARU being happy with him down at Brumbyland. They are developing Powell, they will likely sign Lucas, and I don't know much about the 3rd gut.

At Melbourne, we have Little Red (only on a 1-year deal, so read into that what you will), Goddard (star in the making) and Snowden (journeyman - longevity?). If Snowden finishes up, Genia will fit in nicely with the skip and the young gun. Teach them both a lot.

One thing I noted from the article (take a seat, sports fans)

Certainly there will be no possibility of Genia spending his year playing Tests for the Wallabies for six months and the rest in Brisbane club football while the 2018 Super Rugby series is underway — not if he hopes to bank the rumoured $800,000 a season the ARU has paid for him.

FMD - for a sporting code under so much financial stress, that a LOT OF CASHOLA!

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
At this stage of Genia's career, I would rather see Roos return to the Brumbies than try to absorb Will. Joe Powell has shown this year that he is the future and is easily up to Super Rugby standard and maybe ready for test level as well. De Wet Roos was a more than capable standby while here and really has earned a start with a Super Rugby side, but if the reports are correct about Lucas, there probably won't be space on the roster for Roos here unfortunately. Will Genia would only complicate matters if he were to come here.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I would rather Louwrens over Genia. Nothing against Genia, but I'd imagine he would be more expensive, play less games, and wouldn't be measurably better on the field.

He would have a better off field presence but you hear mixed things about that.

Reactions: daz

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
FMD - for a sporting code under so much financial stress, that a LOT OF CASHOLA!

Yep, and I would put forward that last year was his only good consistent year in a very long time (despite getting the nod over White and Phipps in 2015)......... and he didn't even play any Soup.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Will looks to be on the down hill slope, like a couple of other long term Wallabies - Moore, Horne, TPN and Simmons (long term decline despite good form last weekend). Time for them to pack their bags and move on from the Wallabies.

D

daz

Just when you thought he Genia thing was all over, looks like there is a chance he could end up at the Rebels next year.

Nope, nope, nope. Don't want him. I don't care how good he once was.

We already gift tries to the opposition through turnovers via our line-outs, scrums, attack, defense and breakdown play.

Bring Genia down, and suddenly we can add "box-kick charge down" to that list. Although, I suppose that would complete the full set of ways we can fuck things up on the field.

Besides, what is the point of paying huge money for a guy that doesn't want to be here, and will be out the door quick smart.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
yes, Louwrens is definitely the one to get, absolutely. The Rebels tried two seasons ago, but he signed with the Force to stay at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.