• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Reg they couldn't win it in the inaugural year when they just played the full-strength Rebels team against the amateurs.
Well, that was the problem, they were full strength until the semi-final and then lost players to the Spring tour and, well, I don’t want to talk about it. It still hurts.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Well, that was the problem, they were full strength until the semi-final and then lost players to the Spring tour and, well, I don’t want to talk about it. It still hurts.
I know we don't want to talk about it, but it was hardly surprising: we were wobbly against the Rays, then had 5ish weeks of really high quality Rugby, then more off kilter performances against the Rams and QC (Quade Cooper) post bye as injuries built.

Throw in losing Engo, McMahon and Jones for that first final and the loss was always on the cards.

Retrospectively, I think a lot of us just got swept up in the hype, myself definitely among them.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

D

daz

Don"t worry. 2018 and beyond is going to make up for a whole pile of painful losses in the past. What a glorious time to be alive!

D

daz

Retrospectively, I think a lot of us just got swept up in the hype, myself definitely among them.

Indeed, I think we all did. But in 2018, here we go again - THE HYPE LIVES! Oh deary, deary me. Fuck Christmas, bring on Round 1

Mick The Munch

Vay Wilson (31)
Ok, so. Check in time:

Hookers:
1 James Hanson
2 Jordan Uelese
3 Siliva Siliva

Props:
4 Tetera Faulkner
5 Sam Talakai
6 Laurie Weekes
7 Fereti Sa'aga
8 Ben Daley
9 Jermaine Ainsley

Locks:

10 Sam Jeffries
11 Adam Coleman
12 Geoff Parling
13 Steve Cummins
14 Alex Toolis
15 Matt Philip

Backrow:
16 Lotepi Timani
17 Rob Leota
18 Colby Fainga'a
19 Richard Hardwick
20 Ross Haylett-Petty
21 Amanaki Mafi

Scrumhalves:
22 Nic Stirzaker
23 Will Genia
24 Harrison Goddard

Flyhalves:
25 Tayler Adams
26 Jack McGregor
27 Dave Horwitz

Centres:
28 Sione Tuipulito
29 Reece Hodge
30 Billy Meakes

Wings:
31 Sefa Naivalu
32 Tom English
33 Marikia Koroibete
34 Henry Hutchison

Fullbacks:
35 Jack Madocks
36 Dane Haylett-Petty

Missed any? Perhaps a handful (Goddard, Leota, McGregor) are in EPS???
Shipperly?

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The real winner here is the Melbourne club rugby comp.

They're about to get a pretty sizeable influx of quality players playing week-in-week-out.

Hopefully they'll be evenly distributed.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The real winner here is the Melbourne club rugby comp.

They're about to get a pretty sizeable influx of quality players playing week-in-week-out.

Hopefully they'll be evenly distributed.
Are Southern Districts still in next year? They could do with quite a few.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Are Southern Districts still in next year? They could do with quite a few.
I thought they were talking about being able to produce full teams week in week out in both 2A & 2B rather than stretch themselves so thin that they were lucky to get two sides out on any given weekend.

No idea though. The more the merrier down in Broncoville.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I thought they were talking about being able to produce full teams week in week out in both 2A & 2B rather than stretch themselves so thin that they were lucky to get two sides out on any given weekend.

No idea though. The more the merrier down in Broncoville.

Or Quins.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
What they should do is what they have done to great success in Scottish rugby of late. All Rebels squad members should go into a draft where the competing clubs in the top division get the chance to draft a player in, starting with last seasons bottom team with pick one. From here the Scottish sides have been picking squad players as the first picks as they become available more often, it also encourages greater community engagement and collaboration with the professional and amateur sides

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Not a good sign dropping to 8. It was 10 not so long ago, was it not?

Without numbers and inside knowledge at hand, I think it's fine, as long as its not a symptom of declining or stagnant Senior Men's participation. Concentration of Rebels talent (and potentially/probably those who seek pro careers/high level Rugby in general) is a good thing for the premier competition: and effectively removing two byes (sorry Souths) from the comp is a positive sign as such. While instead of being the Competition's whipping boys, I'd imagine that there could be a renewed sense of vigour at Souths: given the opportunity to perform against a new group of clubs who are potentially much closer to their level, maybe leading to even higher participation rates than they have been in the last season or so? Plus the reshuffling of the structure into something that appears to make a little bit more sense, particularly with the alignment of the season with respect to the NRC: you avoid playing in that residual Summer heat that Early autumn often brings. Maybe its a damning sign, and I'm a crazy optimist who doesn't know enough details and/or psychology to be making these kind of projections.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Only if you look after it. I'm not dealing with donkey poo through the house.

Time to focus on the positives and block out the yapping. To that end, we still haven't done meat and beers, to formally celebrate the rebirth of our beloved team. Shall we wrap that into pre-Chrissy Melbourne GAGR drinks?

Who is interested?

I'm in.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Ok, so. Check in time:

Hookers:
1 James Hanson
2 Jordan Uelese
3 Siliva Siliva

Props:
4 Tetera Faulkner
5 Sam Talakai
6 Laurie Weekes
7 Fereti Sa'aga
8 Ben Daley
9 Jermaine Ainsley

Locks:

10 Sam Jeffries
11 Adam Coleman
12 Geoff Parling
13 Steve Cummins
14 Alex Toolis
15 Matt Philip

Backrow:
16 Lotepi Timani
17 Rob Leota
18 Colby Fainga'a
19 Richard Hardwick
20 Ross Haylett-Petty
21 Amanaki Mafi

Scrumhalves:
22 Nic Stirzaker
23 Will Genia
24 Harrison Goddard

Flyhalves:
25 Tayler Adams
26 Jack McGregor
27 Dave Horwitz

Centres:
28 Sione Tuipulito
29 Reece Hodge
30 Billy Meakes

Wings:
31 Sefa Naivalu
32 Tom English
33 Marikia Koroibete
34 Henry Hutchison

Fullbacks:
35 Jack Madocks
36 Dane Haylett-Petty

Missed any? Perhaps a handful (Goddard, Leota, McGregor) are in EPS???

Horwitz to centres. Lance is rumoured to be signing as a 10. Mcgregor as the EPS teenager and Adams as a backup. Shipperly still around I heard but not sure about Pama Fou. Either would be a great pickup for the other 3 teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.