• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
That's a seriously strong Rebels team now. The starting side will be strong enough, but there's enough depth that you could name a 2nd XV that would probably still just about beat last year's Rebels. That sort of depth is exceptional in Super Rugby.

If they don't make the finals and beat at least one Kiwi team along the way I'll consider that a disappointing season.

The ARU has only guaranteed a contract to the Force players for 2018, right? So they probably won't be able to keep anywhere near this sort of strength team for more than one season before we start losing them overseas when the Rebels can't afford them, which is a shame because if you gave this group two or three seasons together they could be real contenders I reckon.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Ok, so. Check in time:

Hookers:
1 James Hanson
2 Jordan Uelese
3 Siliva Siliva

Props:
4 Tetera Faulkner
5 Sam Talakai
6 Laurie Weekes
7 Fereti Sa'aga
8 Ben Daley
9 Jermaine Ainsley

Locks:

10 Sam Jeffries
11 Adam Coleman
12 Geoff Parling
13 Steve Cummins
14 Alex Toolis
15 Matt Philip

Backrow:
16 Lotepi Timani
17 Rob Leota
18 Colby Fainga'a
19 Richard Hardwick
20 Ross Haylett-Petty
21 Amanaki Mafi

Scrumhalves:
22 Nic Stirzaker
23 Will Genia
24 Harrison Goddard

Flyhalves:
25 Tayler Adams
26 Jack McGregor
27 Dave Horwitz

Centres:
28 Sione Tuipulito
29 Reece Hodge
30 Billy Meakes

Wings:
31 Sefa Naivalu
32 Tom English
33 Marikia Koroibete
34 Henry Hutchison

Fullbacks:
35 Jack Madocks
36 Dane Haylett-Petty

Missed any? Perhaps a handful (Goddard, Leota, McGregor) are in EPS???
So what's the rebels squad size exemption for next year. 36? 40?
Salary cap bump to $6 million? Hope you've employed an alchemist in the accounting department or this might be a one season wonder

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Rebels just posted a story on Shippers returning to full training today, looks like he's staying - happy about that! Wish we had also kept Jordy.
*Edit - should have refreshed the page b4 posting - this is old news :)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Rebels have some good props in their squad.

Ben Daley was offered a lifeline and it will be interesting to see if he performs as well as being somewhat injury free.

Time will tell.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Scrubber, the front row is precisely where I think the Rebels will be found wanting next year. Ainsley looks to have a lot of potential, but otherwise they are either yesterday's men or not yet up to Super level imo.

T

TOCC

Scrubber, the front row is precisely where I think the Rebels will be found wanting next year. Ainsley looks to have a lot of potential, but otherwise they are either yesterday's men or not yet up to Super level imo.

I don't agree at all, its going to be an area of strength IMO, they may not dominate some of the strong scrums but it won't be the vulnerability it was this year. Talakai and Ainsley are both good scrummagers at tighthead prop, and Faulkner and Weeks are both experienced scrummagers who will provide great depth. Loosehead is an area of weakness with only Daley and Sa'aga options there, so I expect one of the tighheads will swap sides. Throw in the addition of Coleman and Phillip at lock in addition to their current locks, and they have pretty good depth there as well.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
So what's the rebels squad size exemption for next year. 36? 40?
Salary cap bump to $6 million? Hope you've employed an alchemist in the accounting department or this might be a one season wonder

Actually, it is very simple. Let's assume that the Rebels are above the long term salary cap of $5 million and they need to reduce in 2020. Firstly, there will be a number of player who are currently "emerging Wallabies" such as Koriobete and Hodge. These players will get increased top ups (and as stupid as it is) this can often reduce the cost to the club. Secondly, they will have the ability to offer to which players they want to keep - it is a lot easier to retain players than to recruit players. So we might be in the position that Tuipulotu and Maddocks are developing brilliantly and the Rebels decide that the best value for money is to not try and retain DHP and Meakes. Or maybe under Wessels, Stirzacker starts delivering to the potential we thought he had and they don't try and retain Genia.

Either way I am sure that our 2020 team (assuming Super Rugby still exists) will be a hell of a lot better than our 2017 team.

T

TOCC

I think 2018 is the Rebels Championship year, its hard to see that squad staying together much past that, even if we pretend that the salary cap and squad size isn't a factor, theres some quality players who will be on the bench or playing club rugby in 2018 and will look elsewhere for 2019 seeking opportunity

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^^I think your on the money with the fact we will see a fair bit of player movement in the next year. Players will be seeking game time and squads this size don't facilitate that. You also tend to see lots of movements pre-RWC as players grab whats on offer before the international reps muscle in post RWC.

Also RA has already signalled equalisation and who knows what happening around the CA.

Depth is the main thing that could suffer badly. If that happens we will also suffer from setting back player development 12mths due to pushing out younger talent.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Actually, it is very simple. Let's assume that the Rebels are above the long term salary cap of $5 million and they need to reduce in 2020. Firstly, there will be a number of player who are currently "emerging Wallabies" such as Koriobete and Hodge. These players will get increased top ups (and as stupid as it is) this can often reduce the cost to the club. Secondly, they will have the ability to offer to which players they want to keep - it is a lot easier to retain players than to recruit players. So we might be in the position that Tuipulotu and Maddocks are developing brilliantly and the Rebels decide that the best value for money is to not try and retain DHP and Meakes. Or maybe under Wessels, Stirzacker starts delivering to the potential we thought he had and they don't try and retain Genia.

Either way I am sure that our 2020 team (assuming Super Rugby still exists) will be a hell of a lot better than our 2017 team.

I meant where will the actual cash come from?

Edit: to be explicit, how will you not need a bailout by end 2018?

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)

I also disagree, IMO the Rebels will have one of the better scrummaging packs. The Reds will be vulnerable in 2018, NSW have been poor in recent seasons despite having the right pieces but the Brumbies with familiar combinations already established would be the pick of group. In saying that the Rebels can definitely match their neighbours.

Locks also play a huge contribution and IMO the Rebels and Brumbies will have the best locking set piece combination of the Aus teams (Coleman + Parling v Arnold + Carter).

Currently, Coleman & Simmons are regarded as Australia’s best scrummaging lock options closely followed by Arnold.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I meant where will the actual cash come from?

Edit: to be explicit, how will you not need a bailout by end 2018?
The ARU are committed to spending the same percentage of total revenue on player wages as they ever were unless there is a change in the CBA. They have also said that this will mean increased distributions and they may not be equal between franchises. Now the senate hearing is over it will also be easier to start locking in sponsors as the scale of dirt is known and with the exception of the implication of a VRU director gaining a financial interest in Imperium, there is no major dirt attached to the present organisation. The ARU seem to have given us a push to help us succeed. The organisation needs to grab that now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.