• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
^^I think your on the money with the fact we will see a fair bit of player movement in the next year. Players will be seeking game time and squads this size don't facilitate that. You also tend to see lots of movements pre-RWC as players grab whats on offer before the international reps muscle in post RWC.

Also RA has already signalled equalisation and who knows what happening around the CA.

Depth is the main thing that could suffer badly. If that happens we will also suffer from setting back player development 12mths due to pushing out younger talent.

Agree MST. I suspect the full impact of the loss of players to the NH will not be felt until 2019. Players who feel they are excess to requirements or not getting satisfactory game time in the temporarily expanded teams in 2018 will have no domestic options available to them, unless of course the IPRC gets underway and is perceived to be of suitable standard.

T

TOCC

The ARU are committed to spending the same percentage of total revenue on player wages as they ever were unless there is a change in the CBA. They have also said that this will mean increased distributions and they may not be equal between franchises.

Allocations for player wages and budget forecasting for 5 teams was based on revenue which was never achieved, hence having to cut a team to reduce player wages.

Where have the ARU said they are increasing distributions, and where have they said they won’t be equal?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Allocations for player wages and budget forecasting for 5 teams was based on revenue which was never achieved, hence having to cut a team to reduce player wages.

Where have the ARU said they are increasing distributions, and where have they said they won’t be equal?
ARU hasn't. Rupa has, player payments are based on a percentage of the tv deal, so amount remains the same meaning % remains the same.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

ARU hasn't. Rupa has, player payments are based on a percentage of the tv deal, so amount remains the same meaning % remains the same.

player payments are based on a percentage of gross player revenue averaged over a 4 year period, its revenue directly attributed to player activity which represents 90% of ARU revenue.. This idea that remaining teams will divide up the previous Force allocation ignores the fact that ARU revenue expectations have fallen well short and that the ARU have stated that budget forecasts until the next broadcast negotiations in 2020 were wrong.. Simply put, they agreed to a figure which they thought they would be earning 2015-2020, they haven't met that target which now means they have been paying more then then they could afford. Hence having to cut a team

T

TOCC

ARU might throw $200k at each of the teams, anymore then that and they lose any savings gained by cutting the Force

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
so this is one piece of good news from Rebels FB page. i suppose still under "duty of care"

Melbourne Rebels Hi Guys, Jordy is still working really hard on rehab with his long term back injury. He is definitely around the Club but at the moment the most important focus is getting his back healthy. Thanks for your love, and we look forward to more of it as the season approaches

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
so this is one piece of good news from Rebels FB page. i suppose still under "duty of care"

Melbourne Rebels Hi Guys, Jordy is still working really hard on rehab with his long term back injury. He is definitely around the Club but at the moment the most important focus is getting his back healthy. Thanks for your love, and we look forward to more of it as the season approaches
Jordy is heading back to Manly, his back is healed. Just did not get a contract and other clubs here and abroad worried with his injury.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Jordy is heading back to Manly, his back is healed. Just did not get a contract and other clubs here and abroad worried with his injury.

well hats what i was led to believe also, but from the FB post today in reply to a specific query, that was the answer they gave. perhaps he is hanging around because of no contract.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/11/10/super-rugby-2018-squad-size Not completely explicit, but that is what I took from it. Do you know how far short of budget the actual revenue was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Must have been enough for the ARU to claim they faced bankruptcy themselves if they had persisted with five teams. I'm sure that was a reason for the axing.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
ARU might throw $200k at each of the teams, anymore then that and they lose any savings gained by cutting the Force
If only they hadn't already spent that money rebranding.

Anyhow they've already stated it won't be even distribution so fully expect that rebels will get 90% of whatever they do dole out to try show they can compete and be in the black.

I mean it's like co2 levels effect on global warming the base 20 million they've thrown to didn't do anything but the next million will, it's called 'forcing'. Things should really start heating up in Melbourne.

I crack myself up.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/11/10/super-rugby-2018-squad-size Not completely explicit, but that is what I took from it. Do you know how far short of budget the actual revenue was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using some (a lot really!) assumptions (probably less than the ARU did) based on the the ARU cash spread-sheets it appears to be about 15% based on their worst case projections. But its more a guess than anything but as safe a bet as the ARU modelling i reckon. ;)

So shave about $500K (ish; possibly up to $750K) off the salary cap if the doom and gloom projections are real.

Like i said assumptions so I could be close, but i could also be way off the mark. Its hard to speculate on the ARU revenue atm.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
How should he change his body shape?
I don’t think he is going to grow any taller, and already he is quite stocky, maybe he could put on an extra 2kgs. But if he puts much more weight on he will lose some of his best attributes, specifically his acceleration and ability to change direction on a dime.

He has his strengths and attributes, he just needs to learn to play to them and the coaches on how to best utilise them.

Yep think Shane Williams the former test winger for Wales, who was only 170cm and 80kg, as his size did not stop him going on to play 87 tests for Wales.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ok time to look like what a matchday 23 might look like

1. Tetera Faulkner
2. James Hanson
3. Jermaine Ainsley
4. Geoff Parling (assumes Adam Coleman not signed)
5. Matt Philip
6 Lotepi Timani
7 Colby Fainga'a
8. Amanaki Mafi
9. Will Genia
10. Reece Hodge
11. Sefa Naivalu
12. Billy Meakes
13. Tom English
14. Marikia Koroibete
15. Dane Haylett-Petty
16. Sam Talakai / Laurie Weeks
17. Jordan Uelese
18. Fereti Sa'aga / Laurie Weeks
19 . Sam Jeffries / Alex Toolis
20. Ross Haylett-Petty
21. Richard Hardwick
22. Nic Stirzaker
23. Dave Horwitz

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Ok time to look like what a matchday 23 might look like

1. Tetera Faulkner
2. James Hanson
3. Jermaine Ainsley
4. Geoff Parling (assumes Adam Coleman not signed)
5. Matt Philip
6 Lotepi Timani
7 Colby Fainga'a
8. Amanaki Mafi
9. Will Genia
10. Reece Hodge
11. Sefa Naivalu
12. Billy Meakes
13. Tom English
14. Marikia Koroibete
15. Dane Haylett-Petty
16. Sam Talakai / Laurie Weeks