• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Given you lot have signed a player or two in every position but 10 don't you play Hodge there?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
So now the Western Force have relocated to Melbourne for 2018 I feel for the Rebels players still under contract. Wessels would have probably liked to cut all the Rebels players but is stuck with some for 2018. With the exception of the Wallaby players I doubt that any of the former Rebels will see much game time. Weekes/ Jeffries/Faainga/Stirzaker/English will be the water boys for 2018 and no doubt look for greener pastures once their contracts are up!! There will be a mass exodus back to WA in 2020 when the new comp begins! Shame!

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Head honchos in charge will earn their money constructing the playing lists for 2019, 2020 and beyond.

I'm not super sure about a mass exodus back to Perth: undoubtedly the likes of Coleman, Hardwick, the Sauce Bros and a good number of others will and/or should be heading back.

The likes of Daley? Philip? Meakes? Faulkner? Don't necessarily see it. Ainsley's a Kiwi originally I think. Lance has shown that playing time has meant more than where he's playing. Talakai, Genia and Horwitz aren't from WA either. Parling and Mafi are a chance to stay on I would have thought, but if they aren't, there are opportunities to bring back the likes of McMahon and Jones that should open up as well.

Retention of the youngsters (Meafu, Tupai, Ha'angana, Hosea, McGregor, Goddard, Maddocks, Tuipulotu, Hutch, Tupou) is important for those post 2019 opportunities although some of them should really be aiming for a lot of Rugby this year too, even with more signings to come.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

So it’s confirmed their are allowances in the salary cap and number of positions for teams next year, and that it will result in lopsided squads. Which more or less applies to the Rebels picking up all the Force players.

Way I see it, Rebels have 2018 as their ‘championship year’ before equalisation measures scale back the squad size and salary cap and see the talent distributed to other franchises or overseas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So it’s confirmed their are allowances in the salary cap and number of positions for teams next year, and that it will result in lopsided squads. Which more or less applies to the Rebels picking up all the Force players.

Way I see it, Rebels have 2018 as their ‘championship year’ before equalisation measures scale back the squad size and salary cap and see the talent distributed to other franchises or overseas.

IMHO the permutations of the such an eventuality. or even coming close to fruition is worth some very serious contemplation. Off the cuff, I cant see it not hurting the game and Aussie rugby and could really damage (mortally) the Melbourne Force post equalisation.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)

I still don’t get how the Rebels salary would be any higher than the Waratahs. Surely Hooper, Beale, Foley and Folou would be on much more than Genia, Coleman, Hodge and DHP.

T

TOCC

I still don’t get how the Rebels salary would be any higher than the Waratahs. Surely Hooper, Beale, Foley and Folou would be on much more than Genia, Coleman, Hodge and DHP.

There’s also Koroibete.. but it’s the depth in the wider squad where the Rebels now have it over the Waratahs in terms of wages IMO. Just look at the props and locks

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
There’s also Koroibete.. but it’s the depth in the wider squad where the Rebels now have it over the Waratahs in terms of wages IMO. Just look at the props and locks

I'll give you Koroibete but the tahs also have Phipps, Kepu, Simmons, Dempsey and Hanigan who have all started for the Wallabies this year. I'm sure that they are more expensive than Faulkner, Hanson, Philips, Fainga'a and Timani

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
IMHO the permutations of the such an eventuality. or even coming close to fruition is worth some very serious contemplation. Off the cuff, I cant see it not hurting the game and Aussie rugby and could really damage (mortally) the Melbourne Force post equalisation.
A cracking season, maybe going into finals, combined with the rest of Australian rugby hating us could be the narrative that makes the Rebels in Melbourne. Worked for the Storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Definitely not a terrible result when we're missing at least (confirmed through Rebels only)

Sefa, Colby, Engo, Genia, Stirzaker, Parling, Koroibete, Hodge, Maddocks, DHP, RHP, Weeks, Ainsley, Faulkner, Daley, Talakai, Cummins, Hanson, Uelese, Mafi & Timani.

That's before youngsters that didn't play (such as Ha'angana, Meafou, Hosea, Tupou), Force players that have been "confirmed/rumoured" by non-Rebels Sources (Coleman, Phillip, Lance, Meakes, Hardwick) AND anyone who chooses to be around on a training contract too.

Status
Not open for further replies.