• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

A full contract for a guy that played colts in 2013? Big call.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I don't think that is what it says. I think he is training full time with them but the contract is neither full nor EPS - it is a supplemental contract.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What is a supplemental contract?
Are the Rebels fudging?
I thought the franchises were limited to how many players they could contract

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Foketi is a very classy centre who has the skills to go all the way.

As ever with such a promising back of his age that I haven't seen in Grade rugby yet: it's how he can bring those attributes to the senior level, and then to the Super level, that will define his rugby career.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Reckon 2014 will be a Breakout year for Scott Higgers. His 2013 Super form for the Rebs was fantastic. It was only injury that opened the door for others in EOYT.

I expect a continuation of his 2013 form this year, his elevation to a consistent starting performer in the Wallabies, probably at 8 and at the expense of Ben Mowen. His abrasiveness will be gladly welcolmed.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I don't think there would have been much of a contest between Mowen and Higgers for the 8 jersey. Higgers is just on an entirely different level of athleticism than any of our other big backrowers right now (assuming he recovers well from his surgery).

I'd say he's in the upper echelon in that regard for any backrowers from any nation. Based on what he showed us in Super Rugby last year he has the potential to grow into Australia's own Kieran Read.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Trouble was that Mowen is the incumbent Captain and we have seen in the past, with Horwill and particularly Rocky that being captain and the fact of playing shit rugby doesn't seem to get you dropped or the captaincy stripped off for quite a while. The argument has always been about stability.

McKenzie may be different ?

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I don't think there would have been much of a contest between Mowen and Higgers for the 8 jersey. Higgers is just on an entirely different level of athleticism than any of our other big backrowers right now (assuming he recovers well from his surgery).

I'd say he's in the upper echelon in that regard for any backrowers from any nation. Based on what he showed us in Super Rugby last year he has the potential to grow into Australia's own Kieran Read.

Seriously, if anything what has been seen from Higgers is that his a fantastic super player but not a test player.

Ben Mowen in one season has won more, done more and captained his country then Higgers has done in all his playing days.

I like Higgers and i hope he comes good... last years super was good... His never even been close to the best backrower Australia's had, let alone the best player in the world which is Read..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree that Higgers is yet to translate his Super Rugby form to the test arena, but he had certainly never played as well in Super Rugby as he did in 2013.

If he can replicate his 2013 form this year, it's pretty fair to expect that he will be a better test player than when he played for the Wallabies in 2010-12.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Seriously, if anything what has been seen from Higgers is that his a fantastic super player but not a test player.

Ben Mowen in one season has won more, done more and captained his country then Higgers has done in all his playing days.

I like Higgers and i hope he comes good. last years super was good. His never even been close to the best backrower Australia's had, let alone the best player in the world which is Read..

Ben Mowen has achieved a lot by being on a fairly good team and being a reliable captain, not by being a world class 8. If anything he's a good captain with good lineout skills that is otherwise very average for a Tier-1 test 8. I think he could challenge Fardy for the 6 jersey depending on form but he just has never impressed at 8, much like Higginbotham. I can tell you who has the higher ceiling though..

Higgers shares a lot of qualities with Read and saying otherwise is just ignoring how he was playing for the year up to his injury.

Jimmy C

Allen Oxlade (6)
So with Ben Mowen now shipping off to France, here ends the debate. Higgers to No' 8 for the Wallabies in 2014! Now here's another thought... if Higs shows the same top level leadership skills he did for the Rebels last year, does Link make him Captain or VC for the Wallabies?

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I agree that Higgers is yet to translate his Super Rugby form to the test arena, but he had certainly never played as well in Super Rugby as he did in 2013.

If he can replicate his 2013 form this year, it's pretty fair to expect that he will be a better test player than when he played for the Wallabies in 2010-12.

Agree .. I hope it happens but Ben Mowen was class at every level and a great captain .. to say higgers just sweep him aside is so wrong. I actually think higgers could end up captain of the walliabies ...Captain fits him.. like Mowen

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Ben Mowen has achieved a lot by being on a fairly good team and being a reliable captain, not by being a world class 8. If anything he's a good captain with good lineout skills that is otherwise very average for a Tier-1 test 8. I think he could challenge Fardy for the 6 jersey depending on form but he just has never impressed at 8, much like Higginbotham. I can tell you who has the higher ceiling though..

Higgers shares a lot of qualities with Read and saying otherwise is just ignoring how he was playing for the year up to his injury.
Ben has out played and out captained Higgers.. he would have been 6 in front of Fardy and played 8 in front of all others.. made captain after 6 games. . More talent goes to Higgers but Mowen is whoI want in my team..

Ive heard a few time is Mowen pushies doing the shitters .. Higgers biggest issue was he never did the shitters..

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
So with Ben Mowen now shipping off to France, here ends the debate. Higgers to No' 8 for the Wallabies in 2014! Now here's another thought. if Higs shows the same top level leadership skills he did for the Rebels last year, does Link make him Captain or VC for the Wallabies?
I hope so .. we need a leader

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
IMO Higgers as captain very unlikely but stranger things have happened.

I wonder who will captain the Brums. Moore? To'omua?

T

Train Without a Station

Ben has out played .... Higgers..

That is just completely untrue. You are more one eyed than slim has ever been.

I'm a huge fan of Mowen, but he is nowhere near as talented as Higgers. Higgers was clearly the better and more influence player this year at Super Rugby level. He has been a good captain I agree, but everybody was on the Horwill bandwagon when the Reds were the top Aus team.

They're completely different type of players, but Higgers talent would be much more difficult to replace than Mowen's grit and hard work.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Poey will

Not Rebels related, but posted here so I'll reply here.
I wouldn't give Pocock the captaincy. I'd keep Mowen there for 2014 and try my hardest to get Kimlin back for 2015. If we do, give it to him. If not, give it to White.

Status
Not open for further replies.