• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
That is just completely untrue. You are more one eyed than slim has ever been.

I'm a huge fan of Mowen, but he is nowhere near as talented as Higgers. Higgers was clearly the better and more influence player this year at Super Rugby level. He has been a good captain I agree, but everybody was on the Horwill bandwagon when the Reds were the top Aus team.

They're completely different type of players, but Higgers talent would be much more difficult to replace than Mowen's grit and hard work.

And Proved where ? ... Higgers is more talented, and should rightly be a better player.. but at test level Mowens been better with a screwed neck...

I really hope Higgers comes good at test level.. but to date he hasnt.. moving to the reb's has been the best thing for him. But his never performed as a starting test player.. off the bench he has had great impact..

T

Train Without a Station

Higgers Super Rugby form has always been better than Mowen's. His Super Rugby form and style of play has also improved over time. The guy is 26 now and reaching his peak as an athlete, so it's not far fetched to suggest it will further improve.

Mowen's style of game greatly suited playing at the Brumbies, however was not something the Wallabies lacked at test level. Hence why he was only selected after a number of other players had been injured. You'd also struggle to find too many people who would suggest Mowen is a better player than Fardy. In fact, you'd probably struggle to find too many people who think Mowen would make the starting team with Higginbotham, Fardy and Palu all fit, as well as younger players like Quirk and Cottrell improving their games in the next 2 years.

I think you'll find that playing alongside Fardy, Higginbotham would bring better balance to a Wallaby back row also, which would allow him to play his natural game.

I'm a Mowen fan, the guy has been a fantastic leader and really brought his game along to a great level. But to suggest he will leave a massive hole, or will be very hard to replace for the Wallabies unless there is a number of injured others is just plain wrong. He's a backrower, which is probably our most competitive position for spots.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Happy NY gents, hope I was missed.

2014 Rebels have put together the kind of squad that could succeed, if the off field culture and systems pan out. Afterall, every year 2 or 3 Super Rugby teams surprise (usually one from each country) and it's perfectly possible could be us.

The hurdle I see is our Hookers. We don't have any 2s that have ever displayed the ability to succeed at this level, let alone consistently. Sure, there's question marks at 10 but the reality is Hegarty has played well there for us for periods and if shit hits the fan we can fall back on Woodward or Ellison. At 2 we have no reliability, let alone a fall back option. Fore mine, Shota and Leafa, while both promising, haven't got any checks or crosses next to their names.

Here's the winningest solution realistic solution I can put forth to fill our starting 2 jersey. We should sign Huia Edmonds. Why? He's playing good rugby in the premiership, has displayed consistency at this level, and has experience that the Rebels needs.

How would we accomplish this? After all, there's a decent overlap between Super Rugby and the Euro season. Well, Gloucester have Hibbard on the way next year, aren't going to make the Premiership finals this year but simultaneously aren't near the relegation zone, and are only a couple of weeks away from missing out on the Heineken Cup finals. A fairly negotiated release from a player like Edmonds would probably be in everyone's interests.

Thoughts? Are there any rumours on this front?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
While I do like the idea of signing an experienced hooker, it would be unfair to Shota, who I thought had a great Pacific Cup/November internationals, and deserves a go at the number one spot.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
I still think we should throw money at a young talent like Hugh Roach to lure him South. Not only is he very promising at hooker it will rustle the jimmies of many a tah's fan ;)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Not the worst idea but Roachie will probably get the remaining Tahs EPS spot—and he has expressed a burning desire to play for the Tahs.

If he doesn't though he could change his mind: he is certainly trained up.

Another hooker trained up at the Tahs is Ryan Dalziel, though I can't remember how he plays at club level.

And Randwick flanker Lala Lam has been training at hooker in lineouts and scrums since October also; not that there has been a lot of scrum practice.

Hard bastard.

The Penrith captain 22-year-old Kerren Straker was taken on tour to Argentina by the NSW Barbarians but I can't remember seeing the young Kiwi play either.

There are a few hard-head hookers in Sydney clubland but they are nothing to write home about.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Higgers Super Rugby form has always been better than Mowen's. His Super Rugby form and style of play has also improved over time. The guy is 26 now and reaching his peak as an athlete, so it's not far fetched to suggest it will further improve.

Mowen's style of game greatly suited playing at the Brumbies, however was not something the Wallabies lacked at test level. Hence why he was only selected after a number of other players had been injured. You'd also struggle to find too many people who would suggest Mowen is a better player than Fardy. In fact, you'd probably struggle to find too many people who think Mowen would make the starting team with Higginbotham, Fardy and Palu all fit, as well as younger players like Quirk and Cottrell improving their games in the next 2 years.

I think you'll find that playing alongside Fardy, Higginbotham would bring better balance to a Wallaby back row also, which would allow him to play his natural game.

I'm a Mowen fan, the guy has been a fantastic leader and really brought his game along to a great level. But to suggest he will leave a massive hole, or will be very hard to replace for the Wallabies unless there is a number of injured others is just plain wrong. He's a backrower, which is probably our most competitive position for spots.
Agree but same time hard work.. and the shitters are more important then talent.. Not drinking all year working hard with a bung neck.. thats who I want in my team

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Happy NY gents, hope I was missed.

2014 Rebels have put together the kind of squad that could succeed, if the off field culture and systems pan out. Afterall, every year 2 or 3 Super Rugby teams surprise (usually one from each country) and it's perfectly possible could be us.

The hurdle I see is our Hookers. We don't have any 2s that have ever displayed the ability to succeed at this level, let alone consistently. Sure, there's question marks at 10 but the reality is Hegarty has played well there for us for periods and if shit hits the fan we can fall back on Woodward or Ellison. At 2 we have no reliability, let alone a fall back option. Fore mine, Shota and Leafa, while both promising, haven't got any checks or crosses next to their names.

Here's the winningest solution realistic solution I can put forth to fill our starting 2 jersey. We should sign Huia Edmonds. Why? He's playing good rugby in the premiership, has displayed consistency at this level, and has experience that the Rebels needs.

How would we accomplish this? After all, there's a decent overlap between Super Rugby and the Euro season. Well, Gloucester have Hibbard on the way next year, aren't going to make the Premiership finals this year but simultaneously aren't near the relegation zone, and are only a couple of weeks away from missing out on the Heineken Cup finals. A fairly negotiated release from a player like Edmonds would probably be in everyone's interests.

Thoughts? Are there any rumours on this front?
I really rate Huia he be good signing

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Looks like the Sydney Uni connections keeps on going with he appointment of Baden Stephenson. Aside from the bits I've read in the article I know nothing about Bade, but he certainly looks like he's got the experience. Certainly has big shoes to fill after Sam, but good luck to him.

So his signing priority should be a replacement hooker to cover Tom? Perhaps another position?

http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/news/article/stephenson-appointed-to-rebels-staff

T

Train Without a Station

Interesting how the press release refers to them as "former" Sydney Uni players.

How is that interesting? Now they're in Melbourne they're no longer Sydney Uni players.

Much like many blokes playing for the Southport Sharks, once drafted into the AFL, they're ex Southport Sharks players and when not playing AFL, will turn out for their club's affiliate team in a lower league.

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
How is that interesting? Now they're in Melbourne they're no longer Sydney Uni players.

Much like many blokes playing for the Southport Sharks, once drafted into the AFL, they're ex Southport Sharks players and when not playing AFL, will turn out for their club's affiliate team in a lower league.

If they don't play for Sydney Uni how come Phipps, English and Mitchell all played in last years grand final v Eastwood?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
So does anyone really know why Luke Mcalister was in Melbourne last week ?
Could he be the "international" signing. has he recovered from the bicep injury and why would he move on from Toulouse

Status
Not open for further replies.