• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Happy new year, Rebel fans :)

The Rebels published a good article on Jason Woodward today and for me opened up a few points of discussion:

1) Didn't ever think of him as a 5/8 option as he was doing so well at fullback. I would personally like to see him wearing a 15 (or 14) as it appears he enjoys the space more. Suppose he'll go for what is going to give him the best opportunity to play rep footy.

Which leads me to my next point:

2) Looks like he is still undecided on whether he want to qualify for the Wallabies or go home and chance his arm for the ABs. Reading between the lines it will probably have a lot to do with him and if/when the Rebels offer him an extension on his contract. His 2014 game will have plenty to say about that, but if 2013 is anything to go by then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Rebels sign this guy as early as possible. As a Rebels and Wallaby fan I Implore you to get his signature on a new contract. If anything having some backline continuity after recent events will be most welcome.

Perhaps this can float to the Rebels 2015 thread (if we have one)?

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Happy new year, Rebel fans :)

The Rebels published a good article on Jason Woodward today and for me opened up a few points of discussion:

1) Didn't ever think of him as a 5/8 option as he was doing so well at fullback. I would personally like to see him wearing a 15 (or 14) as it appears he enjoys the space more. Suppose he'll go for what is going to give him the best opportunity to play rep footy.

Which leads me to my next point:

2) Looks like he is still undecided on whether he want to qualify for the Wallabies or go home and chance his arm for the ABs. Reading between the lines it will probably have a lot to do with him and if/when the Rebels offer him an extension on his contract. His 2014 game will have plenty to say about that, but if 2013 is anything to go by then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Rebels sign this guy as early as possible. As a Rebels and Wallaby fan I Implore you to get his signature on a new contract. If anything having some backline continuity after recent events will be most welcome.

Perhaps this can float to the Rebels 2015 thread (if we have one)?
I can't recall exactly whether an article about Woodward was posted in this thread, or if I read it in the SMH, but I think the article implied that he and his wife were well settled, and had made Melbourne home. And that he would therefore make himself eligible for the Wallabies.

Edit
Melbourne Rebels fullback Jason Woodward eyes Wallabies spot

December 2, 2013

Jason Woodward has his eyes on a Wallaby jersey in the future.
Melbourne Rebels fullback Jason Woodward is hoping to take another step towards becoming a Wallaby when he runs out for his second Super Rugby season next year.

"Being a Kiwi boy I obviously wanted to be an All Black my whole life and that doesn't go away just because you move overseas but I've been loving life," Woodward said.
"My wife and I have really set up home here and I love playing for the club and if I was to stay I would play for Australia, without a doubt."
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/melbourne-rebels-fullback-jason-woodward-eyes-wallabies-spot-20131202-2ym6b.html#ixzz2pDzQvGIB

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Seen a few articles about Woodward playing for Australia. But the fact this article saying he is undecided comes from the Rebels own media department gives it more substance than a SMH reporter IMO. Hope that the Rebels re-sign him before the Kiwi teams have a punt at signing him.

Also needs to play full back, articles are saying Hegarty has had a massive pre-season so I hope we stick with him at 10 for a while. (As long as his improved his kicking)

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
If he's smart, he'll keep his options open, which would mean at least a 1 year extension at the Rebels. The Rebels are likely to offer him more cash then any NZ franchise and guarantee him a start. After that year if he is too good to pass up, the Kiwis will probably chase hard to get him back and probably get him. If not, maybe he will stay. New Zealand have some shithot outside backs and there is a real risk that he might play a game or two for the All Blacks and see his international career end there.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Seen a few articles about Woodward playing for Australia. But the fact this article saying he is undecided comes from the Rebels own media department gives it more substance than a SMH reporter IMO. Hope that the Rebels re-sign him before the Kiwi teams have a punt at signing him.

Also needs to play full back, articles are saying Hegarty has had a massive pre-season so I hope we stick with him at 10 for a while. (As long as his improved his kicking)

I don't think he'll want to commit to NZ any time soon. Clearly in front of him at 15 there would be Dagg, Piutau, Anscombe, Ben Smith plus three or four others. At 10 there is Carter, Cruden, Barrett, Anscombe plus three or four others. Of all those named only Carter is anywhere near the end of his career. Regardless of form, he won't make the NZ squad before the World Cup and is doubtful for any time thereafter.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
He'll probably sign a 2015 contract then see what happens. He won't play in RWC2015, being behind too many for AB and not elligible for WBs.

After that, NZRU will pursue him hard if they want him, and I'd think they'd get him.

But if it came down to Rebels and ARU vs NZ franchise and you'll maybe get a game, he'd pick the former.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
From a French website specialized on Japanese Rugby, it seems that Male Sau (born in NZ and of Samoan origin) could sign for the Melbourne Rebels soon. He is a fly half / center.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
From a French website specialized on Japanese Rugby, it seems that Male Sau (born in NZ and of Samoan origin) could sign for the Melbourne Rebels soon. He is a fly half / center.
this man could be the "international" that mcgahan or clarke was referring too late last year. has played for japan versus several teams this year.
we are still one player short. any guesses ? and what position, another front 5 forward would be my thoughts

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
We (effectively) have 2 spots to fill. There's one permanent Full squad spot (with one of the 6 EPS boys being promoted to fill the other), and we also have an injury replacement spot for Tom Sexton.

One of these will definitely go to a hooker. The other could be anything, since we do have "sufficient" depth across most of the squad. For mine, another 10/12 option would be nice, but there's also a whole bunch of players in that position we should be chasing for 2015, so I'm not too bothered.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)

AFAIK, he's played mostly at Outside Centre for Japan and Yamaha.

The Brumbies look like they have just signed the other Japanese Centre, Haru Tatekawa.

Both of them can also play at 5/8.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm just catching up on some of the posts on the Rebels website. I thought the short interview with Bryce Hegarty was interesting, he says Mitch Inman could be playing more at 12 this year.

Just hypothesising but, if Inman goes to 12 then English would probably play 13, where to for Ellison, 10 maybe?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm just catching up on some of the posts on the Rebels website. I thought the short interview with Bryce Hegarty was interesting, he says Mitch Inman could be playing more at 12 this year.

Just hypothesising but, if Inman goes to 12 then English would probably play 13, where to for Ellison, 10 maybe?

I think Ellison will play 12, but at the moment he is not training with the squad so Tony would be working through a lot of combinations and testing players in different spots.

I would be pretty happy seeing English in the centers.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Is Frank Winterstein on your radar apparently released by Bradford Bulls to play Rugby. Rugby League centre now Back row. Represented Samoa in RL.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Caputo I just read about Winterstein being released by Bradford to play Rugby in Oz and thought the same thing.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Got my membership pack today, like the scarf saying the consecutive years membership. Don't know about needing another hat though.

Reactions: gel

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Don't know about needing another hat though.

Sacrilege.

Throughout history, men have worn hats as a way of showing how much better they are than other men. “I buy hats,” a behatted man seems to say. “I am better than you.”

One simply needs to stack them.

250px-Towering_Pillar_of_Hats.png

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Got my membership pack today, like the scarf saying the consecutive years membership. Don't know about needing another hat though.

Know what you mean. I beg the Reds to offer a trade your hat for a stubby cooler option. Now that would be a cracker idea.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Lalaki Foketi has been signed as a supplementary squad member.

http://melbournerebels.com.au/news/article/rabodirect-rebels-sign-lalakai-foketi

Lalakai Foketi has signed as a full-time Member of the 2014 RaboDirect Rebels squad. As of January 1st, Lalakai is a supplementary squad Member.
Lalakai represented the Australian Schoolboys in 2012 and played for the Australian Under 20s at the IRB Junior Rugby World Cup in 2013.
Lalakai is a centre who in 2013 starred for the Manly Marlins' Colts as they were defeated by the narrowest margin in the Grand Final, 36-35, by Sydney University.
A graduate of Sydney's famed King's School, Lalakai is a try-scoring centre, managing to cross the line on numerous occasions for both state (NSW) and national representative teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.