• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
from the VRU website this morning

All RaboDirect Rebels players have been appointed a Dewar Shield club, and if they are not selected in the match 23 or injured they will be playing in the Dewar Shield on a weekly basis
This is a very good thing for the development of the game in Vic. Haven't read the website article, but i wonder how long this applies for? All soup season or the entire vru season? Do they have the club assignments posted yet?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
This is a very good thing for the development of the game in Vic. Haven't read the website article, but i wonder how long this applies for? All soup season or the entire vru season? Do they have the club assignments posted yet?

doesn't say anything about time but given the sup season and the Dewar Shield run concurrently now, assume its whole season, clubs not posted as yet, but may be on the rebels site under player profiles ?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Can't find anything about the player profiles. Maybe in the New year the people would have time? I'm not sure. Would assume players who previous played Dewar Shield would remain with the old club (Ah-Nau with Norths, Leafa with Box Hill etc.)

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Can't find anything about the player profiles. Maybe in the New year the people would have time? I'm not sure. Would assume players who previous played Dewar Shield would remain with the old club (Ah-Nau with Norths, Leafa with Box Hill etc.)

previously each player has been allocated a club, including 2nd division clubs.
i doubt that the non game day leftovers will be playing anything other than premier division, so perhaps now two clubs per player, one premier and one other. playing with the first and mentoring at the second ?

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well, I was finished with the christmas prep so I thought I'd make a 2014 Rebels 23:

1 Toby Smith
2 Shota Horie
3 Laurie Weeks
4 Cadeyrn Neville
5 Hugh Pyle
6 Luke Jones
7 Colby Fainga'a
8 Scott Higgenbotham (c)
9 Nic Stirzaker
10 Bryce Hegarty
11 Tom Kingston
12 Tamati Ellison
13 Mitch Inman
14 Tom English
15 Jason Woodward

16 Patrick Leafa
17 Max Lahiff
18 Paul Alo-Emile
19 Lopeti Timani
20 Scott Fuglistaller
21 Luke Burgess
22 Angus Roberts
23 Lachlan Mitchell

That is actually a fair looking back line.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Is Jones more likely to play lock with Pyle, with Saffy at blindside? That still leaves a genuine three option lineout, with two incredibly hard working flankers that can free Higgers up to play a more dynamic running game.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Is Jones more likely to play lock with Pyle, with Saffy at blindside? That still leaves a genuine three option lineout, with two incredibly hard working flankers that can free Higgers up to play a more dynamic running game.
saffy's gone
jones may play some games at lock, the other backrow contenders are timani, reid, mcmahon, faiinga and fuglistaller

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Saffy left to play in France. Higgers looked awesome playing tight last season, plus both Neville and Jones are no chumps at the tight side of the game.

On the subject of left field selections, would it be a possibility for Lahiff to play at Tighthead and Ah-Nau to come on bench as the reserve loosie.

I ask because I've not been inspired by the performances of either Alo-Emile or Weeks in the last couple years, and I feel they could use a kick up the arse.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Whoops, had no idea about Saffy. Jones at 6 makes full sense then. Higgers did play a great tight game last year and did a great job of filling what you got from Delve week in week out. I also forgot about you picking up slightly mini Tamani.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Saffy left to play in France. Higgers looked awesome playing tight last season, plus both Neville and Jones are no chumps at the tight side of the game.

On the subject of left field selections, would it be a possibility for Lahiff to play at Tighthead and Ah-Nau to come on bench as the reserve loosie.

I ask because I've not been inspired by the performances of either Alo-Emile or Weeks in the last couple years, and I feel they could use a kick up the arse.

Weeks just hasn't remotely close to the quality he could be. The sky could have been the limit given how he played in 2010. I hope he comes good.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
speculating from some of the rebels media posts over christmas, i wouldn't be surprised to see a centre pairing of inman and english, with kingston and veainu on the wings.
i don't think ellison has even started yet, so might be unlikely to figure prominently early on in the season.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)

Actually thought that Weeks did alright this year. Until he stuffed his shoulder & took up entertainment duties. Will be interesting to see how he goes in the new season though.

Agree with you about Alo-Emile, but since he is only 22 I hope the only way is up.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Actually thought that Weeks did alright this year. Until he stuffed his shoulder & took up entertainment duties. Will be interesting to see how he goes in the new season though.

Agree with you about Alo-Emile, but since he is only 22 I hope the only way is up.

i also thought weekes was playing really well in 2012 until his shoulder injury. towards the back end of this year i think he was getting back into that form again. PAE will have learnt a great deal during his stint in the ITM. he is only 22 so give him another 5 or 6 seasons too ripen fully !

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm not saying don't give them an opportunity to get back to their best, Im just suggesting it may be a good way to kick them up the arse. On top of that, I would like the Rebs to have more internationals. Lahiff would be no chance for the LH, being behind Smith (at the rebs) as well as Sio, Robinson and Slipper at Int level. But at tighthead, he could have a shot. Palmer gone, Kepu lazy, Alexander poor scrummager, don't rate Ryan...

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
speculating from some of the rebels media posts over christmas, i wouldn't be surprised to see a centre pairing of inman and english, with kingston and veainu on the wings.
i don't think ellison has even started yet, so might be unlikely to figure prominently early on in the season.

I am under the impression that tamati is in japan till next year

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
"I am under the impression that tamati is in japan till next year"

yes, thats what i understand also, hence my comment about alternatives at inside centre to start with

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i don't think it is about either skill or match fitness, i hope he he is fit and raring to go for the rebels in 2014 ! he is a great pick up imo
my feeling was that he may not be up to speed with the new offensive and defensive patterns that are currently being drilled.
we will wait and see what eventuates obviously

Status
Not open for further replies.