• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Oh Captain, my Captain. Seemed like a no-brainer decision for me. Higgers to lead the Rebels in 2014. Bloody ripper move. Congrats Higgers!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...per-rugby-season/story-e6frf4qu-1226778210861

Article also noted that a VC needs to be appointed and Luke Burgess was mentioned. Any other contenders that you would like to see?

Would rather someone who has been their for a couple of years at VC, not Burgess. Don't see him starting all season so not the ideal candidate for VC

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I think that, with such a young/inexperienced group, Burgess is probably the most obvious choice for VC this year. Beyond this year, maybe Tom English? McGahan has already mentioned him as being in the leadership group so he no doubt has some potential.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Agreed, need a few players with experience starting with such a young squad and that's exactly what burgess brings. Also VC has to go to a certain starter, who would be certain starters in this squad? A very rough guess:

Smith
Shota
Pyle
Higgers
Burgess
Ellison
Inman
Woodward

I dare say those are the only players with their positions locked down and out of those only Burgess and Pyle strike me as leaders. I could see Fainga'a coming good and stepping up too but there is a lot of competition at 7.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Would you make a forward VC if you already have one as Captain? I guess you could... and if that was the case it would probably be Smith he has history as Captain in the ITM cup and seemed to lead Hawke's Bay pretty by all reports.

Jimmy C

Allen Oxlade (6)
I like the idea of giving the VC to a young back that will be with the club for a few years. I'd go with either English or Woodward. Both have great heads on their shoulders for such young guys, mature, and seem to be really looked highly upon by the rest of the playing group. If the Rebels are serious about putting down the foundations for the coming years, the VC will be someone to take over from Higgers down the track.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I like the idea of giving the VC to a young back that will be with the club for a few years. I'd go with either English or Woodward. Both have great heads on their shoulders for such young guys, mature, and seem to be really looked highly upon by the rest of the playing group. If the Rebels are serious about putting down the foundations for the coming years, the VC will be someone to take over from Higgers down the track.

what if Higgers relapses? Do they become captain? English or Woodward? Yikes.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
what if Higgers relapses? Do they become captain? English or Woodward? Yikes.

Doubt that will happen. He appears to be a different beast down here. Leadership has done good things for Higgers.

Personally I like the idea of giving the VC role to a young back who has future leadership aspiration and has the capability. It shows the Club is committed to properly investing and growing their people.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I meant relapses as in is injured again. Who is captain then? Pyle would be the man for mine.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I just noted that the force play with to VC's in Mathewson and Cowan don't they? Rebels should employ a similar strategy name a young leader in Pyle and someone in the backs as well...however I really think any selections from the backs is a lottery at this stage.

I expect Mcgahan to play something similar to gatland ball which would suit the rebels backline well but in a system like that the only definite starters are Inman, Woodward and probably burgess.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Pyle has been VC before but has a lot more experience now so he might be a good choice. I'd like to see one of the young backs get the gig eventualy but for 2014 I'd rather see them concentrate on developing their own game.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Not a fan of Pyle really for a leadership role. Hard to go past Burgo amongst the back line division I reckon but if Stirzys form has him starting could do worse than make him vc. He is a very mature , together lad.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Think Scott is a terrific choice as Captain - he stepped up his play as a consistant hard worker who also motivated those aroung him.

Still wish he was at the Reds. It would be a better team for his agressive impact

Jimmy C

Allen Oxlade (6)
Not a fan of Pyle really for a leadership role. Hard to go past Burgo amongst the back line division I reckon but if Stirzys form has him starting could do worse than make him vc. He is a very mature , together lad.

Have to agree with you there Blue, love Pyles heart and work rate but I think he's the type of player than needs to focus on his game without the distraction of leadership. I like the idea of Burgo but I think it needs to be a younger player for the years to come. The speedy ginger ninja wouldn't be a bad choice. Maybe needs another year behind the senior boys before being thrown in the deep end of leadership.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Got cheap flights to Brisbane for Reds away, now just need a sale on Sydney.

Got to say Caxton St and Suncorp for pre and post game is good.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Got cheap flights to Brisbane for Reds away, now just need a sale on Sydney.

Got to say Caxton St and Suncorp for pre and post game is good.

Breakfast Creek Hotel, Steak and Pint. I still dream of it.

Can never go past the mixed grill at the Wavell Heights/Chermside RSL. Wife's family are from up north Brissie and had fond memories of drinking and eating shenanigans there.

Seriously considering a drive to Canberra and a Trip to Sydney. not sure about Brissie tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.