• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Tony certainly wants to make his mark - get ready for a more 'defensive' focus next season.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/rugby/melbourne-rebels-coach-tony-mcgahan-altering-sides-gameplan-ahead-of-2014-season/story-fnibc6qy-1226774516854
Article talked about the greater emphasis on defense and increasing our workrate at the breakdown. I didn't think the breakdown work was that bad, and when you consider the Wallabies style of not committing too many bodies to the ruck it presents and interesting shift for the Rebels.

I hope this doesn't dent our natural attacking flair and those wide runners. Will be interesting to see how this is balanced.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Tony certainly wants to make his mark - get ready for a more 'defensive' focus next season.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/r...d-of-2014-season/story-fnibc6qy-1226774516854
Article talked about the greater emphasis on defense and increasing our workrate at the breakdown. I didn't think the breakdown work was that bad, and when you consider the Wallabies style of not committing too many bodies to the ruck it presents and interesting shift for the Rebels.

I hope this doesn't dent our natural attacking flair and those wide runners. Will be interesting to see how this is balanced.

Good article which is amazing seeing it's the Hearld Sun. A little concerned about how much emphasis Tony puts on defense as it did effect Munster attacking style when he was head coach. (Not to mention his time with the Wallabies only averaging a try a game.)

Hopefully he has learnt from this and can bring the Rebels up the ladder.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Mate, we were rubbish. On attack and defence. We got pumped.

I concede we had some shockers, but there were times that we held together, set reasonable platforms and won decent turnover ball. Think our loose play was more of a standout, so can see why we'd want to get the rucks more consistent so we set better platforms for the backs.

Thing I see is we had a lot of guys standing out for the loose play and probably not enough piggies doing the tight stuff. Having tight forwards who can tackle all day like Ged and take decent hit-ups will be a good thing.

One thing the article talk about, and we need to fix, is our tackling. Soo many frustrating moments when we should have held onto them. Won't pretend for a second we must be 100%, but we gotta get the tackle count up much higher. Would check on rugbystats.com.au, but the site barfed at me. (bloody MSAccess errors *grumbles*)

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
It was when the team really gelled that you saw good breakdown performances. Obviously those aren't going to be too common when you lose up to 1/3 of your players each year, so I still hold out hope for a strong around-the-park Rebels.

Ado Tornado

Allen Oxlade (6)
One of the biggest problems with rugby in Victoria lack of focus on defence. And I would say that issue permeates every grade from U7's to first grade.

Teams spend roughly half their time defending, yet at training the majority of time is spent drilling attack. You just don't see the level individual technique and systematic defence you see up north.

I like what McGahan is saying because the philosophy is simple - If they cant score, you can't lose.

Sure the Rebs can score tries, but if you're leaking twice as many as you're making, the outcome will always be the same.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Always nice to see a reduction in price for gear. Not sure how many people are on the KooGa/BLK mailing list, but the 12 days of Christmas sale is on and for three days in a row cheap Rebels (albeit KooGa branded) gear has been on. I managed to pick up a grey hoodie for $25; sadly my enthusiasm for a good deal wasn't shared with missus oztimmay ('not more bloody rugby crap' was the response I got). They also had a signed Rebels jersey up yesterday if you spent more than $100.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Always nice to see a reduction in price for gear. Not sure how many people are on the KooGa/BLK mailing list, but the 12 days of Christmas sale is on and for three days in a row cheap Rebels (albeit KooGa branded) gear has been on. I managed to pick up a grey hoodie for $25; sadly my enthusiasm for a good deal wasn't shared with missus oztimmay ('not more bloody rugby crap' was the response I got). They also had a signed Rebels jersey up yesterday if you spent more than $100.

Got the hoodie yesterday as well, excuse was that my original hoodie is fit for the bin.

T

TOCC

Lowest wages out of the Australian Super Rugby teams, Brumbies had the lowest wages a few years ago and now might lose a few key players they can no longer afford to keep. Not sure it's worth bragging about.

http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport/restructured_rebels_to_rein_in_player_274zTIsjHZhos1tnaLToBK

You're confusing the Reds, the Reds had the lowest wages in 2010 and then cut them further in 2011 under Link, remarkable given they won the premiership that year, no doubt they have jumped considerably since then..

A few years ago people were calling the Brumbies the Real Madrid of Australian rugby after recruiting a very inform and in demand Elsom and Giteau. I doubt they had a small wage bill..

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
A few years ago people were calling the Brumbies the Real Madrid of Australian rugby after recruiting a very inform and in demand Elsom and Giteau. I doubt they had a small wage bill..

Yeah......... When the stories came out last year about a team breaching the salary cap I was sure it was the Brumbies.

banditofbrisbane

Frank Row (1)
I'm seeing a lot of specific posts on here by a user going by the name of Blues Recovery.

Have a read through all of his/her comments and think who has is privy to such specific information while leading a Blues Recovery. Join the dots people.

Not naming names but revelation of the year?

Happy reading guys. Poor form by you Sir.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The Rebels have signed lock Sam Jeffries of Nudgee College and Sydney Uni fame to an EPS contract. One of our current EPS players will be promoted to the main squad. That person has not been decided on yet. (Surely given Sexton's injury it would be Leafa).

There is an additional spot in the main squad to be filled.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm seeing a lot of specific posts on here by a user going by the name of Blues Recovery.

Have a read through all of his/her comments and think who has is privy to such specific information while leading a Blues Recovery. Join the dots people.

Did you register an account just to post that?

Blues Recovery does have a pic of Robert Johnson for an avatar but RJ died about 75 years ago so it can't actually be him.

The Rebels have signed lock Sam Jeffries of Nudgee College and Sydney Uni fame to an EPS contract. One of our current EPS players will be promoted to the main squad. That person has not been decided on yet. (Surely given Sexton's injury it would be Leafa).

There is an additional spot in the main squad to be filled.

We've done alright with the other wrangers that we already have. I hope this one turns out just as well.

Assuming Pat gets promoted and, with only one spot left, they have to be looking at another hooker rather than a fly half.

I wonder how it would go with trying Woodward at 10 and Hegarty at full back?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)

Well all us Rebels fans value Blues input, so even if you think you know who it is keep it to yourself.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I wonder how it would go with trying Woodward at 10 and Hegarty at full back?

I have thought about it a few times, Woodward has experience at 10 from Wellington in the ITM. Has the kicking game for 10 and a pretty good passing game.

Seen Hegarty play full back for Powerhouse and he loved the space he got on the counter attack. Has a hell of a lot of pace to when he gets the chance.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)

How is this breaking "news" important or relevant?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

Congratulations on the first post and welcome to the forum. The poor form though is you playing the man rather than contributing to the rugby discussion.

Pick your game up and you will find this a great place to spin a yarn about all things rugby.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)

Bit precious mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.