• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Anyone been reading the interview series with Bryce Kavanagh? Seems like Melbourne Uni's Moli Sooaemalelagi has really impressed.

The local boys added massive value to us, and hopefully they are getting massive value from their participation to. They are involved in all sessions and certainly don't look out of place; in fact, there are a few that are standing out.
Young Melbourne University hooker Moli Sooaemalelagi deserves special mention; he has been fantastic, and I didn't know until my second week here that he was outside the contracted group. The local boys haven't shirked anything, they work hard in the conditioning sessions as well, and they want to be involved. They don't pull out of anything, and having the extra numbers is of massive benefit to the rest of the group and the coaching staff.

We really do run into trouble with Islander-heritage guys. He's going to have to become MS because that surname is just about impossible, even for a pedant like me.

We need to keep Sri Lankans out of major test rugby - they are even worse to pronounce. :)

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Debreczni is the answer at 10 I believe, he is not gonna set the world on fire straight away but his potential exceeds Hegarty (who is still quite a solid flyhalf).
I also think you are all down playing Ellison's skill level, he has the same skill set as Ben Tapuai. He is strong in contact has great footwork while at the same time has solid passing or kicking game.
He has all the skill of a modern 12.
I think Rebels fans just need to just strap in for a a period similar to what the reds experienced between 2009 - 2010 which is the steady improvement of a young halves pairing.
Anyone who plays 9/10 are only keeping it warm for Stirzaker and Debreczni.
Rebels backline to start the season:
9. Burgess
10. Debreczni
11.Kingston
12.Ellison
13.Inman
14. Veanu
15.Woodward

Average age of 22/23 and you guys are looking strong for the future, and with an ever improving forward pack I feel the rebels will surprise a few teams and get some consistent wins

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
I would like to see Stirzaker a whole lot more in 2014. I thought he was used too little this season. He will only improve with more game time.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Debreczni is the answer at 10 I believe, he is not gonna set the world on fire straight away but his potential exceeds Hegarty (who is still quite a solid flyhalf).
I also think you are all down playing Ellison's skill level, he has the same skill set as Ben Tapuai. He is strong in contact has great footwork while at the same time has solid passing or kicking game.
He has all the skill of a modern 12.
I think Rebels fans just need to just strap in for a a period similar to what the reds experienced between 2009 - 2010 which is the steady improvement of a young halves pairing.
Anyone who plays 9/10 are only keeping it warm for Stirzaker and Debreczni.
Rebels backline to start the season:
9. Burgess
10. Debreczni
11.Kingston
12.Ellison
13.Inman
14. Veanu
15.Woodward

Average age of 22/23 and you guys are looking strong for the future, and with an ever improving forward pack I feel the rebels will surprise a few teams and get some consistent wins

IDK mate, English is mighty promising and I'd love to see him worked in.

I've floated an Ellison @ 10, Inman @ 12, and Kingston @ 13 before. It could work, Ellison started his career very much as a utility.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
How do you blokes reckon Ellison will go at inside centre?

I think the rebels are going to struggle to move the ball in the backs.

And I definitely can't see the rebels playing a width game with Inman/Kingston at 13 and Burgess/Hegarty in the halves.

I can see a big money 2015 offer for Lilo and Tapuai coming mid way through the season once the above becomes clear to everyone.

Why?

We averaged just under 30 points a game with that noted playmaker spending most of the time in the 12 jersey. At others it was filled by Lachlan Mitchell, a player who would probably best be described as a trier. Ellison will be much, much, better.

The pack will be hugely better. A good loosehead and a top notch openside will make a massive difference. Burgess is essentially a better version of Phipps, given even halfway reasonable ball security he'll be fine. And Stirzaker should push him out sooner rather than later anyway.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The pack will be hugely better. A good loosehead and a top notch openside will make a massive difference. Burgess is essentially a better version of Phipps, given even halfway reasonable ball security he'll be fine. And Stirzaker should push him out sooner rather than later anyway.

I actually think Fugistaller was pretty excellent for us in 2013.

Colby will be a marginal step up at best. Though it'll be great to see an Aussie in the jersey.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
We'll have to agree to disagree. I think he gives his all, probably a great bloke to have around the club, but we're never going to make the finals on a consistent basis if he's our starting openside. Fainga'a has the potential to be every bit as good as Gill and Hooper IMO, don't think Fuglistaller has that extra level.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
We'll have to agree to disagree. I think he gives his all, probably a great bloke to have around the club, but we're never going to make the finals on a consistent basis if he's our starting openside. Fainga'a has the potential to be every bit as good as Gill and Hooper IMO, don't think Fuglistaller has that extra level.

I disagree, the man's on ball work is excellent and probably only surpassed in Oz rugby by Poey and Gill.

Obviously the other parts of the game aren't the equal of many others but Rebels coaching staff have gone so far as to credit his on ball work (as oppose to less on-baller open sides like Lippo) as being the major factor in the Rebels improved performances in 2013.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd say Fuglistaller's work comes off the ball - Hitting all the rucks, making the tackles, just being a brick wall for the opposition to run into.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think Colby offers more in attack, but Fuglistaller was our best in defense last season and really went unrewarded for all his hard work. He made the most tackles and didn't give away a lot of penalties as well as having a low missed tackles count.

If Colby had that much potential the Brumbies would not have put so much effort into getting George Smith, Jake White must have thought Colby wasn't quite good enough to place trust in him to take over from Poey.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I disagree, the man's on ball work is excellent and probably only surpassed in Oz rugby by Poey and Gill.

Obviously the other parts of the game aren't the equal of many others but Rebels coaching staff have gone so far as to credit his on ball work (as oppose to less on-baller open sides like Lippo) as being the major factor in the Rebels improved performances in 2013.

I don't disagree that his on the ball work is good, although I'd have him behind Hooper and Alcock as well - but my problem is that he's actually quite slow to get there. This is just my opinion of course, we don't really have access to the stats that would give us that sort of information just yet. He's a brick wall on defence, he's never going to have a bad game, but he's never going to play one that takes you over the top either.

@KevinO, maybe. Or maybe it was that if there's an opportunity to get a player like George Smith you take it every single time. And as much as Colby probably hated it, he would have learnt enormous amounts.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Colby will Start, Fugs will come off the bench, we'll get 90+ minutes worth of good openside work a match. They might swap at some point during the season, as well as Reid and McMahon.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I'd say Fuglistaller's work comes off the ball - Hitting all the rucks, making the tackles, just being a brick wall for the opposition to run into.

Fugistaller is alot like Beau Robinson does all the 'shitters' and does them well. There isn't a lot of finesse there but there doesn't have to be. With people like Pyle, Higginbotham and Jones in the squad you don't need your 7 to be as dynamic as hooper or as skilled at the breakdown as Gill. Rebels will play the powergame and will try to overpower and run down their opponents. Unless Fainga'a shows a bit more staunch than previous seasons he will ride the pine in 2014.

EDIT: Jordy Reid will definitely be in the mix as well as he fits that bruiser-esque openside mould as well.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't disagree that his on the ball work is good, although I'd have him behind Hooper and Alcock as well - but my problem is that he's actually quite slow to get there. This is just my opinion of course, we don't really have access to the stats that would give us that sort of information just yet. He's a brick wall on defence, he's never going to have a bad game, but he's never going to play one that takes you over the top either.

@KevinO, maybe. Or maybe it was that if there's an opportunity to get a player like George Smith you take it every single time. And as much as Colby probably hated it, he would have learnt enormous amounts.

I think it's remarkable how civil disagreements amongst Rebels fans are on G&G.

On the Reds and Tahs threads there's certainly some spats.

Anyway, circlejerk over.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I think it's remarkable how civil disagreements amongst Rebels fans are on G&G.

On the Reds and Tahs threads there's certainly some spats.

Anyway, circlejerk over.

Ha, wait until selections are actually made. If McGahan pulls some brilliance like starting Jones on the bench so he can play Colby and Fuglistaller at the same time all bets are off.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Some really disapointing news from the Rebels camp. Tom Sexton has done his ACL and will be out for the season . Probably the position they have the least amount of depth in.

Status
Not open for further replies.