• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Anyone been reading the interview series with Bryce Kavanagh? Seems like Melbourne Uni's Moli Sooaemalelagi has really impressed.

The Super Rugby commentators will be launching a petition for him not to be given a contract.

Greg Clarke is already having a conniption trying to work out how to pronounce it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
It would be fantastic to see some players from other African nations getting a crack.

Kenya has some awesome 7s athletes that can't be too far from Currie Cup standard and Namibia go to World Cups, so there must be a gem or two worthy of a higher level than French 3rd Division.

Stuff it, and stuff the Saffers. Lets raid their back yard, and get a Kenyan or Namibian player or two playing over here. Who knows after 3 years ..... Gold perhaps.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Super Rugby commentators will be launching a petition for him not to be given a contract.

Greg Clarke is already having a conniption trying to work out how to pronounce it.

It's a impressive name alright, he actually made the Australia school's team which is a impressive effort seeing he attends a Melbourne Public school. Not even at one of the schools that has rugby.

T

Train Without a Station

Anyone been reading the interview series with Bryce Kavanagh? Seems like Melbourne Uni's Moli Sooaemalelagi has really impressed.

The local boys added massive value to us, and hopefully they are getting massive value from their participation to. They are involved in all sessions and certainly don't look out of place; in fact, there are a few that are standing out.
Young Melbourne University hooker Moli Sooaemalelagi deserves special mention; he has been fantastic, and I didn't know until my second week here that he was outside the contracted group. The local boys haven't shirked anything, they work hard in the conditioning sessions as well, and they want to be involved. They don't pull out of anything, and having the extra numbers is of massive benefit to the rest of the group and the coaching staff.

Kevin,

That would be Moli now of Harlequins. Him and young Brenden Westney also. Obviously Quins needed to be poaching players from middle of the pack clubs...

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
The local boys added massive value to us, and hopefully they are getting massive value from their participation to. They are involved in all sessions and certainly don't look out of place; in fact, there are a few that are standing out.
Young Melbourne University hooker Moli Sooaemalelagi deserves special mention; he has been fantastic, and I didn't know until my second week here that he was outside the contracted group. The local boys haven't shirked anything, they work hard in the conditioning sessions as well, and they want to be involved. They don't pull out of anything, and having the extra numbers is of massive benefit to the rest of the group and the coaching staff.
This is one of many reasons why we need Pulver's NRC. Guys such as this need good strong competition against other promising players. He gets to do it without having to move interstate, whilst staying close to the Rebels.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Kevin,

That would be Moli now of Harlequins. Him and young Brenden Westney also. Obviously Quins needed to be poaching players from middle of the pack clubs.

Wow...Quins stealing players from other clubs. There's a surprise. They've been doing that for decades, didn't win that much silverware with it tho. This year an exception, but when you have EPS, WTS and ex rebels in your team you've got a good chance.

Player talent needs to be as evenly distributed as possible, otherwise you will see melbourne vs quins in most upcoming grand finals. Moo rabbit and Powerhouse to occasionally mix it up.

</rant>

T

Train Without a Station

A little hard to cop when Quins are the reigning premiers.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Kevin,

That would be Moli now of Harlequins. Him and young Brenden Westney also. Obviously Quins needed to be poaching players from middle of the pack clubs.

Shesh, Quins do this a lot. I won't say they were the reason for BH's 2013 effort, but they certainly played their part.

I'm not going to start a rant, because at least unlike Melbourne their are plenty of locals in their successful 22, but it does get the blood boiling.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Shesh, Quins do this a lot. I won't say they were the reason for BH's 2013 effort, but they certainly played their part.

I'm not going to start a rant, because at least unlike Melbourne their are plenty of locals in their successful 22, but it does get the blood boiling.

Nor would I say they are the reason for the poor season at Box Hill, like I said Quins have been doing ever since I was playing juniors. Reining premiers or not, it makes no difference. The fact remains they are not afraid to raid talent from other clubs and they have/will continue to do it.

I'm not saying it should necessarily stop, i'm pragmatic enough to realist it never will stop. What I would like to see is balance accross the competition where you haven't got a small group of clubs with the majority of talent on their roster. Not sure how you apply that - I'll let the internet decide.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Nor would I say they are the reason for the poor season at Box Hill, like I said Quins have been doing ever since I was playing juniors. Reining premiers or not, it makes no difference. The fact remains they are not afraid to raid talent from other clubs and they have/will continue to do it.

I'm not saying it should necessarily stop, i'm pragmatic enough to realist it never will stop. What I would like to see is balance accross the competition where you haven't got a small group of clubs with the majority of talent on their roster. Not sure how you apply that - I'll let the internet decide.

They did buy Box Hill's two best backs though.

Since the Vic local rugby thread is all but dead, I wonder what the VRU are doing next year.

Two separate rumours I've heard are Norths are keen to contest premier grade and Boroondara are trying to get 2 teams up for 2nd Division.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
They did buy Box Hill's two best backs though.
I was under the impression that it was amateur still. Maybe they went to a club that could offer them more, was better organised and more professional in their approach.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I was under the impression that it was amateur still. Maybe they went to a club that could offer them more, was better organised and more professional in their approach.

They could offer them more financially. We're not talking big bucks but we are talking money.

Anyway, I'm not against Quins and I'm not claiming that's the sole reason for BH's very poor 2013.

I'd rather discuss the Northern and Boroondara rumours if we are to talk local rugby.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Since the Vic local rugby thread is all but dead, I wonder what the VRU are doing next year.

Two separate rumours I've heard are Norths are keen to contest premier grade and Boroondara are trying to get 2 teams up for 2nd Division.[/quote]

so i have started a VRU 2014 thread in the club rugby forum

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Two separate rumours I've heard are Norths are keen to contest premier grade and Boroondara are trying to get 2 teams up for 2nd Division.

so i have started a VRU 2014 thread in the club rugby forum[/quote]

I'm go there to discuss, hopefully it takes off like the 2013 addition. The 2014 addition never really grew legs.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
I'll move my VRU thoughts over there too. I'll finish by saying that I'm not against any club (although I've always enjoyed a great rivalry with Quins). I'm aware that Box Hill played players back in my day (not really much) - mainly for people to give up their Saturday work and play at the club.
What I really want to see is a sustainable, healthy and equitable competition in the VRU. That would entail a equal distribution of talent accross the clubs, just not sure how this is best managed. I think a few of the Box Hill problem are off-field too - they've always been well supported by a strong supporter network. Perhaps they have moved on, no longer have time to commit etc...

...and back onto Rebel talk.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
How do you blokes reckon Ellison will go at inside centre?

I think the rebels are going to struggle to move the ball in the backs.

And I definitely can't see the rebels playing a width game with Inman/Kingston at 13 and Burgess/Hegarty in the halves.

I can see a big money 2015 offer for Lilo and Tapuai coming mid way through the season once the above becomes clear to everyone.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)

And I definitely can't see the rebels playing a width game with Inman/Kingston at 13 and Burgess/Hegarty in the halves.

I can see a big money 2015 offer for Lilo and Tapuai coming mid way through the season once the above becomes clear to everyone.
it would be very nice to get a couple of "locals" who made good turn out in 2016 :)

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Yeah, the longer that really good 10 we were hoping would be signed doesn't come, the more I think our backs are missing a crucial puzzle piece.

Still, I doubt the issue will be moving the ball. Hegarty is certainly a pass first kind of 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.