• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I understand the need to focus on D. Let's not forget we've been atrocious for three years in that department. Literally the competition's PF/PA whipping boys.

It would be nice to hear that they're setting the bar high and aiming to put the full complement of attack and defense together, but playing with starch and organisation is more important right now.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
I understand the need to focus on D. Let's not forget we've been atrocious for three years in that department. Literally the competition's PF/PA whipping boys.

It would be nice to hear that they're setting the bar high and aiming to put the full complement of attack and defense together, but playing with starch and organisation is more important right now.

In the 2nd half of this years season the Rebels seemed to find their attacking spark and performed very well in that department. I don't think they'll change much there. But a renewed focus on defence isn't a bad thing. If they can find the balance it could lead to the Rebels winning some of the games they would otherwise lose.

Imagine if they defended stoutly against the like of the Crusaders and Chiefs. THe season could have looked a bit different if they had.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Don't disagree with the media hype coment, but if Muggo was so dammed good why did we leak points like a sieve? And why did they let him go? In fact while I'm at it, who hired him? Because the moment he joined Grey got shunted from D into 'backs coach' - a dysfunctional job at best. Now we see that at least one bloke up north reckons Grey is good enough to be a full time D coach.

Not the Rebels tough. We know what were doing.

Muggo is a very good D coach, he literally invented the system that got the Aussies the title of the best defenders in the game in 2003ish.

As for Grey, I've seen him coach attacking skills and he seemed like a fish in water. He's reasonably fresh for the professional game so he could probably grow into various coaching roles and has his eye on a head coaching role is due time.

As for Muggo, the man came over to union with some radical ideas on D (1-out defense) and it worked. Probably because he knew a fair bit of the game (playing a reasonably similar one) but saw it through a different set of eyes. Outside the box thinkers is something we need, which is why it's a shame we've recently started largely only recruiting coaches from within the pool of former professional union players.

Why Muggo wasn't successful is anyman's guess, I know some Rebels coaches (I believe Grey included) were floating his name for head coach. The Rebs' bad D is one blot on a pretty good career for the guy anyway.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
In case you can't tell I'm a massive fan of Muggleton.

He invented 1-out defense (often seen as the "Aussie" way to defend) as well as being a massive advocate of defending on the man instead of running drift D because it makes each defender take responsibility for communication and contact (in slide D plenty of guys find a way to neither make many or miss many tackles).

Plus he took Georgia to a WC, which is pretty cool.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Not worried about Vuna being gone, I think his bust up with KB (Kurtley Beale) really made his decision easier to leave.

Surprised he didn't go back to League, that the Stormers want him, and that he will leave Japan so quickly.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Vuna was under contract for 2014 and was released.
He is very money focussed , has an extended family he supports and takes the view that he has to chase the cash while it's available because there won't be the same opportunities after rugby.
A good guy and wish him the best.

Jimmy C

Allen Oxlade (6)
Vuna tweeted today "Apologies to all the Stormers fans, I won't be joining you for 2014. Thank you for your kind messages"

Wouldn't be surprised if he goes back to league, NZ Warriors perhaps.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Vuna tweeted today "Apologies to all the Stormers fans, I won't be joining you for 2014. Thank you for your kind messages"

Wouldn't be surprised if he goes back to league, NZ Warriors perhaps.

What's to stop him playing more in Japan or France? If coops is trying to maximise his coin while he can for his family (which I admire) you're gonna have a good chance of doing that over there. Seems to be a plethora of loig wings out there.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
What's to stop him playing more in Japan or France? If coops is trying to maximise his coin while he can for his family (which I admire) you're gonna have a good chance of doing that over there. Seems to be a plethora of loig wings out there.

Maximising his coin has to involve going overseas. If he stayed in Australia there would be more than ten wingers in front of him for a spot in the Australian team and all he could hope for is a Super contract. One of those will mean you are on above average wages but it won't make you rich.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Didn't get far enough down the page before premature posting.:(

Point on Saffer interest in PI players remains, although I would have thought that there is sufficient cattle in Africa to provide recruits for ever. Perhaps look to Kenya. They have produced some quality 7's players of late.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Didn't get far enough down the page before premature posting.:(

Point on Saffer interest in PI players remains, although I would have thought that there is sufficient cattle in Africa to provide recruits for ever. Perhaps look to Kenya. They have produced some quality 7's players of late.

It would be fantastic to see some players from other African nations getting a crack.

Kenya has some awesome 7s athletes that can't be too far from Currie Cup standard and Namibia go to World Cups, so there must be a gem or two worthy of a higher level than French 3rd Division.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Anyone been reading the interview series with Bryce Kavanagh? Seems like Melbourne Uni's Moli Sooaemalelagi has really impressed.

The local boys added massive value to us, and hopefully they are getting massive value from their participation to. They are involved in all sessions and certainly don't look out of place; in fact, there are a few that are standing out.
Young Melbourne University hooker Moli Sooaemalelagi deserves special mention; he has been fantastic, and I didn't know until my second week here that he was outside the contracted group. The local boys haven't shirked anything, they work hard in the conditioning sessions as well, and they want to be involved. They don't pull out of anything, and having the extra numbers is of massive benefit to the rest of the group and the coaching staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.