• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
They're definitely not playing to their audience. The crowd are on average 25+ year old men, which immediately makes their music choices redundant.

A bit of a rev up before the game is ok, maybe some noise at half time (which is filled by the various kicking games and little league), and after a try and victory. It's pretty simple!

I think it's irrelevant, the 25+ men will bitch but cop it, however the people they bring (girlfriends, mates, family members) like the theatre and noise of fireworks, music, and weird drumming band (the stuff we don't give a crap about, it's a rugby game).

The fact is, if you're in their primary demographic you're already going to be there. It's everybody else that matters.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I think it's irrelevant, the 25+ men will bitch but cop it, however the people they bring (girlfriends, mates, family members) like the theatre and noise of fireworks, music, and weird drumming band (the stuff we don't give a crap about, it's a rugby game).

The fact is, if you're in their primary demographic you're already going to be there. It's everybody else that matters.

I don't buy that argument.

There's more risk involved in pissing off their core supporters (surely grumpy old men are more likely to watch the game at home if they're sufficiently alienated?) than there is pacifying the various plus-ones.

Anyway, my gripe is specifically with the music and the inane twat with the microphone during matches; the pre-, post- and mid-game 'entertainment' is part and parcel with sport these days.

Martin Flanagan writes for The Age and has a nice way with words. Forget the obvious relevance to AFL, it is just as easily applied to Union.

Several years ago, I received an email from an American who had picked up Australian football on cable TV and become a Carlton supporter. After 10 years, as a wedding anniversary present, his wife had given him a return ticket to Melbourne for him to check out the home of this game he had come to love. And so, in the course of visiting as many grounds as he could, he went to Arden Street where, to his surprise, he was taken into the rooms, shown around and introduced to Byron Pickett, with whom he had his photo taken.
When he got back to the US, he sent me an email. "There is nothing like this in America," he wrote. "Do Australians know what they've got?" He couldn't believe that a club that was involved in an elite sporting competition could be so welcoming, so accepting. He sensed the old egalitarianism that is still a part of most footy clubs, the sense of belonging and community.
What he was saying was that Australian football still has a charm, a depth of feeling, that is lost when sport simply becomes a function of the entertainment industry, when players become performers employed by a franchise known to their fans through staged media events, when supporters become customers who go to a game as they might otherwise go to the cinema, except they barrack for one side.
In my opinion, the Rebels have far more to gain from being down to earth, inclusive and relevant to their fans, than they do grasping at smoke and providing a Friday night's 'entertainment'.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
When the drumline comes on to do the pre-game stuff at AAMI, I usually get quite involved.

Mostly it involves screaming "fuck off" or "I can't take it anymore". But surprisingly often I just weep in frustrated embarassment and generally wish there was someone in the Rebels HQ with a clue.

Ha I actually don't mind the drumming to be honest. Maybe they should just play it though.

I've had some disturbingly dark thoughts about that ground announcer though. My life would be a lot better if he'd never come into it. Les Miserables can fuck off as well. And no fireworks.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't buy that argument.

There's more risk involved in pissing off their core supporters (surely grumpy old men are more likely to watch the game at home if they're sufficiently alienated?) than there is pacifying the various plus-ones.

Anyway, my gripe is specifically with the music and the inane twat with the microphone during matches; the pre-, post- and mid-game 'entertainment' is part and parcel with sport these days.

Martin Flanagan writes for The Age and has a nice way with words. Forget the obvious relevance to AFL, it is just as easily applied to Union.

Several years ago, I received an email from an American who had picked up Australian football on cable TV and become a Carlton supporter. After 10 years, as a wedding anniversary present, his wife had given him a return ticket to Melbourne for him to check out the home of this game he had come to love. And so, in the course of visiting as many grounds as he could, he went to Arden Street where, to his surprise, he was taken into the rooms, shown around and introduced to Byron Pickett, with whom he had his photo taken.
When he got back to the US, he sent me an email. "There is nothing like this in America," he wrote. "Do Australians know what they've got?" He couldn't believe that a club that was involved in an elite sporting competition could be so welcoming, so accepting. He sensed the old egalitarianism that is still a part of most footy clubs, the sense of belonging and community.
What he was saying was that Australian football still has a charm, a depth of feeling, that is lost when sport simply becomes a function of the entertainment industry, when players become performers employed by a franchise known to their fans through staged media events, when supporters become customers who go to a game as they might otherwise go to the cinema, except they barrack for one side.
In my opinion, the Rebels have far more to gain from being down to earth, inclusive and relevant to their fans, than they do grasping at smoke and providing a Friday night's 'entertainment'.

I'll have to respectfully disagree. You think diehard fans staging a walkout because of music is a real possibility?

It's pop music. I hate it, you hate it, but it's the most all encompassing genre out there and it's largely inoffensive. I think that some people dislike it because of what it represents rather than what it is. The fact is a Miley Cyrus song stimulates the pleasure centres of your brain whether you like it or not, but it is all a touch boring (I'll find the study if I have to but I'd rather not). Of course at a sporting arena with all kinds of demographics they play pop music, it just makes sense because it covers the most bases.

Like it or not the Rebels are, at their core, a Friday night's entertainment, as is any sport. Their aim will always be to entertain the masses while perhaps disregarding the diehards a little bit.

Every sports team the world over does it, with the exception of maybe some premier league teams who can actually fill a stadium of diehards and don't need fair weather fans and those looking for a night out.

It's just a fact. If I have to listen to stupid music and drum to have a great sporting team to watch, who's very existence has massively altered Victorian Rugby itself, then I'll cop it. It's not that big of a deal.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I'll have to respectfully disagree. You think diehard fans staging a walkout because of music is a real possibility?

It's pop music. I hate it, you hate it, but it's the most all encompassing genre out there and it's largely inoffensive. I think that some people dislike it because of what it represents rather than what it is. The fact is a Miley Cyrus song stimulates the pleasure centres of your brain whether you like it or not, but it is all a touch boring (I'll find the study if I have to but I'd rather not). Of course at a sporting arena with all kinds of demographics they play pop music, it just makes sense because it covers the most bases.

Like it or not the Rebels are, at their core, a Friday night's entertainment, as is any sport. Their aim will always be to entertain the masses while perhaps disregarding the diehards a little bit.

Every sports team the world over does it, with the exception of maybe some premier league teams who can actually fill a stadium of diehards and don't need fair weather fans and those looking for a night out.

It's just a fact. If I have to listen to stupid music and drum to have a great sporting team to watch, who's very existence has massively altered Victorian Rugby itself, then I'll cop it. It's not that big of a deal.

I'll meet you in the middle and join you hating it, but will continue my browbeating of Freier via email and twitter (who else can I badger?) until the point hits home.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Tucked in at the bottom of this article is the first I've seen mentioned about a 'style change' for the rebels. I suppose it was inevitable but it's a big change in attitude and I hope we don't turn into a dull team to watch.

A keen surfer often found at Bells Beach with Reid, Mitch Inman and Cadeyrn Neville, English said the Rebels were transitioning strongly to new coach Tony McGahan's style.
"It's very different. There's a big shift in strategy and the boys are adapting to it really well," he said.
"We've got a big emphasis on defence. We want to be a defensive orientated side that gets turnovers.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby-...test/story-fndptz3t-1226762506971#mm-breached

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Tucked in at the bottom of this article is the first I've seen mentioned about a 'style change' for the rebels. I suppose it was inevitable but it's a big change in attitude and I hope we don't turn into a dull team to watch.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby-...test/story-fndptz3t-1226762506971#mm-breached

I agree, although I want to see more wins. I don't want to see us getting those wins in boring grounded out matches.

I like the fact that we pic up 2 points on some of those close loses.

D

daz

I agree, although I want to see more wins. I don't want to see us getting those wins in boring grounded out matches.

I like the fact that we pic up 2 points on some of those close loses.

I bet the Rebels coaching staff and players disagree with you, especially at the end of year review where the board asks why we let a game slip because we couldn't adapt.

Of course we all want to see the boys play wide, expansive, attacking running rugby more often than not.

But we also understand that sometimes rugby is a game of grinding out a win.

If I have to watch a game of dour, NH-style grinding rugby for every game of free-flowing attack, and it means an extra few wins for the season, I'll take that every day of the week.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
But we also understand that sometimes rugby is a game of grinding out a win.

Sometimes. Deliberately building your gameplan around that is something I'd never like to hear from a coach. Especially when you've got a team built like this. We don't have a team of grinders, it's a team of big, fast, dynamic athletes. We're not cut out to play 10-man Munster rugby. We're going to get pumped if we try, and we're going to look shit doing it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's all how you spin it.

If you say we want to have a strong defensive game and look to win turnover ball because that presents the best opportunities for scoring tries, it suddenly doesn't sound so negative.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)

If you say we want to have a strong defensive game and look to win turnover ball because that presents the best opportunities for scoring tries, it suddenly doesn't sound so negative.

Still does to me. I'd much rather have heard something about building on strengths (scoring points) and fixing weakness (conceding points.) I don't think the game plan needs a radical shift, it just needed to be more focussed and better executed.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)

The Crusaders won a bunch of championships by turning the ball over and running it from deep. Yes there should be an emphasis on defense, but only to tighten it up so we aren't shipping 30 points per game. However let the boys attack how they want to.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Anybody that thinks that there's going to be more emphasis on D then when Muggo was at the club would have to be dreaming. They were paying him plenty exclusively to manage D and he was good at it too (though he never got the Rebs firing).​
It's just media talk, stuff like "the standard has gone up at training", "we're going to play more attacking football", etc, is just what they say because it ticks the boxes.​
It's hard to know what will walk out onto the field in 2014, and we won't have ANY idea for a while.​

Ado Tornado

Allen Oxlade (6)
Anybody that thinks that there's going to be more emphasis on D then when Muggo was at the club would have to be dreaming. They were paying him plenty exclusively to manage D and he was good at it too (though he never got the Rebs firing).​
It's just media talk, stuff like "the standard has gone up at training", "we're going to play more attacking football", etc, is just what they say because it ticks the boxes.​
It's hard to know what will walk out onto the field in 2014, and we won't have ANY idea for a while.​

Don't disagree with the media hype coment, but if Muggo was so dammed good why did we leak points like a sieve? And why did they let him go? In fact while I'm at it, who hired him? Because the moment he joined Grey got shunted from D into 'backs coach' - a dysfunctional job at best. Now we see that at least one bloke up north reckons Grey is good enough to be a full time D coach.

Not the Rebels tough. We know what were doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.