• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Interesting that Rebels continue to make all these public. You would expect that all those other contract offers will more than likely drop significantly. No need to pay through the nose if there's no one else in the hunt.

I suspect the biggest driver is a desire by Frier (I am assuming he is the guy in charge of PR) to communicate actively to the fans about two players who had been star players for the club rather than having the rumour mill cause mess.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I suspect the ARU will be directing things behind the scenes. Putting them on opposite sides of the country could be a good start.

I suspect they could have been involved also. The flipside is that if put on cheaper contracts with a franchise there will be extra pressure on the ARU top-ups.

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)
Don't suppose there is any chance of convincing Izzy to move South as marquee down here? Tahs are going to struggle to fit Beale and Izzy under cap and still hold on to the depth they want, and of course he has lived down here before. Pipe dream but you never know.

We're losing a few for next season mate.

Berrick Barnes is heading to Japan, Tom Kingston is heading your way and Sitaleki Timani is leaving for France so in Barnes and Timani we're losing two Wallabies players there.

Beale will fit in our cap very easily.

It'll be great to see Beale and Izzy in the same team for the Tahs.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
I congratulate the Rebels for the clear tactic of making their intentions clear very early with the two egos .

Gets around all of the crap speculation spread by player managers to ramp up the deal.
Pray the Force and Tahs don't overpay as these blokes don't deserve it

T

TOCC

We're losing a few for next season mate.

Berrick Barnes is heading to Japan, Tom Kingston is heading your way and Sitaleki Timani is leaving for France so in Barnes and Timani we're losing two Wallabies players there.

Beale will fit in our cap very easily.

It'll be great to see Beale and Izzy in the same team for the Tahs.

If they don fit in the cap they always just charge ground hire fees anyway :/

T

TOCC

Rebels experimentation of high profile recruits has come to a dramatic close it would seem....

Whoever thought JOC (James O'Connor), KB (Kurtley Beale) and Cipriani at the same club was good idea needs their head checked...

Harold Mitchell poured his money into Rugby because he said it was of a higher calibre, without the off field indiscretions that the AFL and NRL had, unfortunately he backed the wrong players.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Blues recovery (or anyone else for that matter) any inside gossip on who we are going to sign to replace Beale and JOC (James O'Connor). Also any news on a couple of players who as far as I know are still uncontracted in Saffy and Sitauti.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Lovely PR by the Rebels. Last week they want to retain Beale and this week knowing he is a sure thing to go to the Tahs they 'dump' him before he dumps them.
I'm certain the Rebels wanted one of either Beale or JOC (James O'Connor) but couldn't afford them both after Harold Mitchell pulled out. JOC (James O'Connor) was given the flick and then Beale walked. Now they have neither. After watching JOC (James O'Connor) last night ignite the back line I think it's a shame they've lost him.
Improving team standards is a better PR line than we don't have the cash we use to.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Blues recovery (or anyone else for that matter) any inside gossip on who we are going to sign to replace Beale and JOC (James O'Connor). Also any news on a couple of players who as far as I know are still un-contracted in Saffy and Sitauti.

Who do we need to replace Beale and JOC (James O'Connor)? We've got wonderful players in the positions they covered. I'd rather use the money to top up their contracts (Woodward especially) and start to develop some home-grown talent.

As has been disused before we could do with another inside centre to help develop our 10's. I don't mind Rory's game, but we could do with a little more experience there to help out.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Lovely PR by the Rebels. Last week they want to retain Beale and this week knowing he is a sure thing to go to the Tahs they 'dump' him before he dumps them.
I'm certain the Rebels wanted one of either Beale or JOC (James O'Connor) but couldn't afford them both after Harold Mitchell pulled out. JOC (James O'Connor) was given the flick and then Beale walked. Now they have neither. After watching JOC (James O'Connor) last night ignite the back line I think it's a shame they've lost him.
Improving team standards is a better PR line than we don't have the cash we use to.

Maybe I'm naive, but this implies a cynicism that I haven't felt from the Rebels.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Maybe this is part of the strategy to bring the price down.

The behaviours of the Muppeteers has not exactly been exemplary of recent times.

While there are some codes that seem to thrive on this sort of characteristic, it is seldom beneficial in Heavens game, where the Franchises can be a little more selective.

You never know what misrepresentations are made by both parties in the at contract negotiation time. The old "I'm off overseas" or "I'm off to Greco-Roman Rugby" has been used a bit to inflate the size of contracts recently.

Player managers and agents somehow have to make a living out of all this as well.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Maybe I'm naive, but this implies a cynicism that I haven't felt from the Rebels.
I would agree. There has been a big changes since the SA events and I think the most significant one is Rob Clarke. He's inherited a small shit sandwich, but he is showing strong leadership and making tough calls to get us on the right track.

Reactions: Tex

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
p.Tah, did the Rebels beat us with or without the Egos?
I don't think it was JOC (James O'Connor) who ignited the Rebels I think it was their ability to create multiple phases whilst crossing the ad line each time. There go forward made it very very easy for JOC (James O'Connor) to through the pass as the outside backs were running good lines.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
p.Tah, did the Rebels beat us with or without the Egos?
I don't think it was JOC (James O'Connor) who ignited the Rebels I think it was their ability to create multiple phases whilst crossing the ad line each time. There go forward made it very very easy for JOC (James O'Connor) to through the pass as the outside backs were running good lines.
:) yes Dave JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale missed that game in March. I thought JOC (James O'Connor) had a good game last night. Perhaps it was coincidental the Rebels come back started in earnest when he started.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
:) yes Dave JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale missed that game in March. I thought JOC (James O'Connor) had a good game last night. Perhaps it was coincidental the Rebels come back started in earnest when he started.
It was more that Roberts went off and stopped spudding the entire place up. He's a very lucky boy to have a contract for next year, looks completely out of his depth. That and Jones came on and started beasting the entire game and got the rest of the forwards on the front foot.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)

I agree, I don't think it's cynicism at all.

I think Rob Clarke's major contribution has been a feeling of self-worth at the club. He wants people to believe the the club will amount to something great, and for it to be respected accordingly. I don't think we've ever had that under previous stewardship.

The club genuinely wanted to help Kurtley. I spoke to Stirling Mortlock on Thursday and he said that they would do anything to ensure he gets better.

I think this announcement is one of those things.

Ado Tornado

Allen Oxlade (6)
Totally agree with you on Roberts Dumbledore. Also agree that Jones impact last night was pivotal. But I will say this, there are only 3 players in this country that could've put Vuna through that hole last night with that touch. 2 we just got rid of and the third lives in Queensland. I'm under no illusion that JOC (James O'Connor) is a culture killer and that Beale needs to be closer to home, but let's not kid ourselves cash was a major contributing factor.

I wonder whether Foley will want to hang around the Tahs given today's news. Cheka won't mess with Izzy at 15 and Beale will be his first choice 10, so maybe they might do what Souths did with Champion a few years back when they got Inglis and ship him to Melbourne. We can only hope because we need some class at 10 and 12 for next year.

Also heard but I'm not sure how reliable the source, is that the brand may be heading to the eels. Makes sense given he gave 8 first graders their notice a month ago and Sandow (the 650k kid) is running around in the nsw cp.

Status
Not open for further replies.