• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't know what to think about Tony being appointed Rebels coach. I don't know much about him, except that for the last 2 years he has been buried in a back-room at St Leonards doing something called "Wallabies Coaching Co-Ordinator", whatever the fuck that is.

Well as a Munster and Rebels fan I am not impressed, he has only the one trophy as head coach and that's because Munster was out of the Heineken Cup and he had all his eggs in one basket. His been involved with the Wallabies since 2011 and we all know what that's looked like.

I hope I am wrong but I don't think he is the best man available to get the best out of our young squad.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Frankly yeah, I would have preferred Louden. It seems blues recovery was on the money about it being one of two Macs given the timing of this and the Link announcement. There is too much bad noise about this bloke to make me overjoyed about the appointment.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Given our improvement since South African tour I feel a bit sorry for Hill. Hopefully we sign Louden as an assistant. Be interesting if any of Muggleton, Grey, Tink or Cockbain remain on the Rebels coaching staff.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I like the idea of being able to keep the Totality Tony nickname going. Don't know what he will be like. I really hope he is to the rebs what white and link have been to their super teams.

I wonder how much TT had to do with the JOC (James O'Connor) decision?

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
I like the idea of being able to keep the Totality Tony nickname going. Don't know what he will be like. I really hope he is to the rebs what white and link have been to their super teams.

I wonder how much TT had to do with the JOC (James O'Connor) decision?

i suspect he was all over it. Combine that with 'our major sponsor' who was over the crap, I think the announcements were planned to keep any perceived distractions away from KB (Kurtley Beale) and JOC (James O'Connor). They seem to be better at doing it themselves anyway...

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
funny thing is he would probably be one of the best in the game at playing 5/8 if he went to league

He is not big and strong like John Sutton or have the speed and pass of Thursto. He would be average at best. It is a different game, i am not sure 5\8 would be his spot.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
He is not big and strong like John Sutton or have the speed and pass of Thursto. He would be average at best. It is a different game, i am not sure 5\8 would be his spot.

Really? He's a pretty excellent ball runner and quite toey with a good change of direction. He's not the full package in union (and he didn't have a good series) but he's one of our better prospects.

I think he'd be a fullback in league though.

Ado Tornado

Allen Oxlade (6)

Totally disagree. He's as big as Pearce, Maloney, Reynolds, Sandow, ,Cronk or any number of them. He's got a custom made pass for league and the extra10 off every tackle would give him miles of space to move. He positions himself deep like a league 10 as well. Would not be the slightest bit surprised to see a team like the Dragons, who need halves, put their hand up for him.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Don't think JOC (James O'Connor) has the vision even for a top league 5/8 though, but he may develop it.....maybe. Also doesn't have the short kicking game (that can be developed though), long kicking game would be good enough.

Most of the top ball playing league 5/8s have the ability to still make those outside of him look good with space (you'd expect JOC (James O'Connor) to be in this category, and I don't think he has the vision or awareness or desire to set up his outside man for it). The other type of league 5/8s tend to be mobile backrowers who can pass (e.g. Sutton, Anasta, even SBW recently).

JOC (James O'Connor) definitely has the size, he wouldn't be smaller than Todd Carney or Thurston I'd say, and he'd be bigger than Soward. But I'm not sure his skillset is similar to any of these players.

I'd say he'd be more suited to fullback in league at first, at least until his passing game develops to maybe make it at 5/8.

All of this is moot anyway. My money is that JOC (James O'Connor) will end up at the Force.

BTW, most of the guys you listed are halfbacks (Pearce, Reynolds, Sandow, Cronk).

southsider

Arch Winning (36)

meh Sutton can also play backrow so not fussed he isn't as big as him, like others have said below he'd be the same size/bigger than a lot of the top flight 5/8's in league. Id very much hope that a wallaby winger would have more speed than a league 5/8.

But guess we may never know though aye.......although I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him go to league, I think his ego would love the high exposure he would get from moving to league

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
JOC (James O'Connor) needs a new adviser, this stuff is too cringe worthy.

http://www.james-oconnor.com.au/

(I didn't know he could read?)

Oh dear...Who is he marketing himself to? You've got a Fabio-type personality thing going on here...Bath, Beach, Bachelor (thought he had a girlfriend, Instragram seems to think so) and so on... Thank god I wasn't eating whilst reading this...

He REALLY needs a new adviser. Perhaps Chopper Read to harden him up a little?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
this guy really is an out and out loser.
very glad we declined to re-sign him. the right move and as mentioned before a certain starter within the rebels team had advised a good mate of mine at the cleo bachelor awards (should be all you need to find out who it was from the rebels) that JOC (James O'Connor) was disliked from a personal perspective and blues recovery has hit that too. now we have higginbotham saying the same, Drew Mitchell has long suggested senior players were fed up with JOC (James O'Connor) and co.

this guy has two choices - one ends in more wallabies camps and another realistically ends up with him playing in france. i think that it matters less and less what he chooses given the depth coming up in wallaby land.

he has been an immense disappointment the past 12 months.

Reactions: Tex

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
John Muggleton is leaving the Rebels too. Confirmed in article about our team for game v Highlanders.

Status
Not open for further replies.