• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I thought Sidey played well last week, some very solid defense and good carries over the gainline to relieve pressure.
That was the first good game he's played all year in fairness. The rest of the time he's been all but invisible on attack and gets exposed far too easily on defence. He does the same thing Lachie Mitchell does, gets too front on, plants himself and then gets burnt on either the outside or inside. Inman gets dragged in trying to cover him as well. He was solid last week, but seriously, we have to have better options. If JOC (James O'Connor) re-signs, this is what I'd like to see. Well, I'd like to see Stirzaker, but Burgess will get the spot.

Burgess
Hegarty
Situati
JOC (James O'Connor)
Inman
English
Woodward

Stirzaker
Roberts
Vuna

Really, really, wish we'd hung onto Betham.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
He thrived in adversity. He could have gone either way if he stayed with us, he certainly didn't look the goods.
I've talked about this elsewhere, but he consistently looked like our most dangerous back ball-in-hand with us. Had poor hands, but he was still carving up when he could hang onto it. I'm happy he's come good at the Tahs, but he's exactly what we need.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Good on Pete, but really he was a bit of a disaster at the Rebels.
Consistently ran into touch , wouldnt tackle and very loose off the field.
Seems like he may have woken up to himself over the past twelve months.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I think the "off season" at the ITM Cup Finishing School with Tasman was extremely beneficial for young Betham. I don't imagine that they would have tolerated bad skill execution at training and/or game day over there. I also suspect that Betham had to demonstrate ability, and not rely on his GPS (Joeys) and "I'm a contracted Super Rugby player" reputation speaking for him.

One wonders if Kurtley would have benefited as a person and a rugby player from a short stint over there in the ITM Cup/NPC early on in his career when he was an up and coming professional athlete.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Betham is still pretty green at Super Rugby level, it could have gone either way, but like Volavola a good pick up for the Tahs and real potential.

I'm pretty happy with our backs, I had serious misgivings with Sidey but he really stepped up last week, gave first receiver options, tackled like a demon, worked hard and that's what I look for in centres. He isn't a playmaker but if he can learn to draw and pass as well as offload judiciously (both tall orders but what he needs to work on imo) he will come along right well.

Keen to see Roberts back, when you think about it we have a lot of growth potential in this team. Front row we're light and I imagine/hope there is some furious work going on to build those stocks. Stirzaker sold me vs Stormers last year, and Burgess will have to work hard to keep his spot. A good thing. Happy days.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Attention: News Ltd at it again with their pot stirring:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby-...sydney-next-year/story-fndpt9s1-1226649494819

Apparently it's not just about the players; it's also about the budgie smugglers, rooftop parties, AFL players fulfilling a rumored transfer, another superstar apparently moving from the rebels, a magically flexible salary cap and probably some airbourne bacon thrown in for good measure.

*sigh* my opinion in news ltd journalism is upheld...again.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
How on earth could the Tahs afford both Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) with their proposed 2014 roster?

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
If the tahs can fit both JOC (James O'Connor) and beal under the cap with or with out Izzy than the system is broke and the aru should hang its head in shame.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
They wont get both , however opens up the prospect of Foley to the Rebels. Say again the Rebels organization have already made up their mind they dont want Beale and are probably 80 % certain about making no offer to OConnor. Both these blokes whilst talented players , for different reasons , put their own self interest way ahead of what's right for the club and I think Rebels HQ has had enough.Contrast this to the way Higgers has assimilated into Melbourne.
Pretty sure Rebels are now adopting a no dickheads policy.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Agree with the no dickheads policy, but then again I think there is an element of madness if we decide to kick two star Wallabies to the curb. For the middle road I think they may need to look at which one is more malleable to change, perhaps a masterclass in 'how to be less of a dickhead and more of a team man' in the off-season period. I think our official captain-in-waiting (Higgers) would be an excellent teacher. Perhaps an assistant coach (if Damien is still around) who has broken the back of these types could take control of this little project.

for the one who is less likely to change then another team, OS $$$ or even League awaits them...

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Unfortunately Hill has been part of the problem with these two blokes , so that won't work.
A new head coach of the Cheika, White variety may be able to sort out JOC (James O'Connor).
Beales problems as I think we all now see are far more complicated and potentially damaging. As much to himself unfortunately.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I'd be happy to keep Hill on board in some capacity. I like that we've scored 32 tries this year, suggests we actually have got things moving. We're still wildly deficient in so many basic areas of the game that there's no way we'll start winning consistently until we get them sorted.

Blues recovery, can you expand on Hill - JOC (James O'Connor) or is that something that's being held pretty close to the chest?

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
I think JOC (James O'Connor) will stay on for one more year, but at lower pay from the Rebels.

Keep in mind that the Tahs would have to better not only his base, but the tidy 3rd party deal he gets from RaboDirect.

If he goes, though, then so be it. The Rebels have done great work to retain who we need to retain.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hill has apparently privately admitted to being intimidated by JOC (James O'Connor). Thats pretty scary.
Also think Rabo are in the same position as the Rebs with him, fed up .

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
JOC (James O'Connor) just comes of as a tosser, brilliant player but can't think of anything good about the bloke. I read Pocock's autobiography and I thought JOC (James O'Connor) was okay given the comments in there, but now I just don't buy any of it.

I think Hill is a great tactician, just a poor skills coach. Bring in an assistant from somewhere that has shown his worth in the skills department, make him dedicated skills coach and that should clear a few things up. No need to drop Hill.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Foley's looked fantastic this year and he'd be a great signing for the club. The big names served a purpose in our initial years but as crowd numbers have stabilised I think the long-term success of the club lies with building a solid foundation. Self-interested kids might be able to contribute around the edges, but I've never got the feeling JOC (James O'Connor) was here for anything other than the dollars.

The re-signings and new arrivals should have to fight for a starting spot, want to play for the club and have a hunger to contribute. I see that quality in much of our list and am genuinely excited for what the next few seasons bring.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
If you guys signed Foley, that would be one of the best signings in your club history.

The last couple of games have shown that you're better without Beale, and probably Beiber too, as the players don't just rely on them to do something. They work more as a unit without them, because they have to.

Foley is exactly the kind of 10 I've been saying you need: a good long pass, decent boot, good vision, and an ability to take the ball to the line and put it out in front of the receiver. He's also good at just running phases , shovelling the ball on and directing play around. Slippery little bastard too!

I really like the look of Hegarty too, he's had two very decent games in a row now.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
JOC (James O'Connor) just comes of as a tosser, brilliant player but can't think of anything good about the bloke. I read Pocock's autobiography and I thought JOC (James O'Connor) was okay given the comments in there, but now I just don't buy any of it.

I think Hill is a great tactician, just a poor skills coach. Bring in an assistant from somewhere that has shown his worth in the skills department, make him dedicated skills coach and that should clear a few things up. No need to drop Hill.

With the recent incidents I still think his fatal flaw is a lack of man-management ability. That is implying that there aren't some people that simply can't be managed though, for various reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.