• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
chiefs should see reasonable crowd, regrettably SA teams draw poor crowds fom past experience. i think the rebels front office would be quite worried about attendances this year. i think (i know i was) they would have expected a minimum 15-16K for the aussie derbies especially against reds, (and return game v tahs) and 18+K for games against NZ opposition, and about 11 -12 for matches against SA sides. i think the crowd will be lucky to get to 10K on a saturday arvo vs the kings.

the aussie crowds were quite disappointing. i suspect they would be looking to average 14-15k over the year. the schedule is not a great one for them to be honest. they need home games against 2 of chiefs, blues, crusaders or hurricanes to draw crowds.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Hill's a classic hand's on coach and has always been the major "hands on" coach at the Rebels.
Cheers, that was my understanding of it, nice to have it confirmed. My point was that this isn't really Hill's second year of coaching the team, it's the third. And while there have been improvements, we don't look anywhere near pushing for the finals at the moment.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Cheers, that was my understanding of it, nice to have it confirmed. My point was that this isn't really Hill's second year of coaching the team, it's the third. And while there have been improvements, we don't look anywhere near pushing for the finals at the moment.
I didn't think we would push for finals this year, 8th and 9th should be a solid aim. Yes, it's a bad start 1 win from 4 games. Brumbies are pace setting the whole comp and look like the only Australian team to play finals. We pushed the Reds and Tahs and got the win over the force in what was our worst game so far.

This weekend is really going to be the game that shows what level we are at, the SA teams away is a tough ask but can set the bench mark for the rest of the season. I still think we can push for more wins than last year, everyone is just worried because we had 2 loses at home.

Games we can still win in my opinion:

Sharks (Poor last week)
Cheetahs (Will have just done there 4 away games, tired team for the taking and a bit of payback for last year)
Force (Have not lost in Perth, keep the record going)
Kings (3 games in on there first away tour, will be tired and homesick by the time we play them)
Chiefs (NZ teams don't play well in Melbourne)
Stormers (Close last year, at home this time round)
Tahs (About time we beat them)
Reds (Hopefully play similar to last year at Suncorp and we got every chance)

Highlanders (Mid season break could be a massive disadvantage to Australian sides)

Crusaders away could be that one game they stuff up mid season, would love to win this one but can't see it.

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
I always said that the Rebels would really test Australia's depth for about 3 years. There is no doubt this year we are looking a bit stronger, but next year we should see more players like Burgess coming back to bolster the teams, 2 years out from the next RWC.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I always said that the Rebels would really test Australia's depth for about 3 years. There is no doubt this year we are looking a bit stronger, but next year we should see more players like Burgess coming back to bolster the teams, 2 years out from the next RWC.
Besides Burgess I don't see to many having a shot at the Wallabies who are overseas.

Matt Giteau, Brock James and the other few are too old.

Only really 2 Aussie's at French Top 14 Clubs worth looking at are Dane Haylett Patty and Talalelei Gray who are both at Biarritz. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but i think Gray is a Vic?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

I don't know if I'd go that far. There was certainly a succession plan though.

Nobody is going to say next year is Richard Graham's 2nd year in charge of the Reds.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Only really 2 Aussie's at French Top 14 Clubs worth looking at are Dane Haylett Patty and Talalelei Gray who are both at Biarritz. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but i think Gray is a Vic?

yes tala gray is a victorian, played at st kevs and melb uni colts while at school, the went to the brumbies academy, before going OS.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Does it matter if they wouldn't compete for the Wallabies? There are plenty of players who are overseas who would add value to the Rebels.

Mark Chisholm would be good if you ended up losing Hugh Pyle. He's experienced, he was always a very good super rugby player, and he would probably be good for another 2 or 3 years.

Anthony Hegarty would make a decent hooker. If TPN leaves the Tahs and Fitzpatrick doesn't make a very quick return to regular playing, our hooker stocks will thin even further.

What about Huia Edmonds as another hooker?

What about Franky Fainifo as another winger?

Cameron Shepherd would be good value if he could stay fit.

meatsack

Ward Prentice (10)
Anyone else see Cooper Vuna's tweets over the last hour? He has since deleted them, but it seems the after match function did not go well and he got punched by a team mate. He named names, but I feel it best not to relay that part.

Ollie

Frank Row (1)
Anyone else see Cooper Vuna's tweets over the last hour? He has since deleted them, but it seems the after match function did not go well and he got punched by a team mate. He named names, but I feel it best not to relay that part.

Doubt an after-match function was wise after that display....should have been a last minute cancellation.

If this is as big an issue as Vuna is inferring, management need to come out swiftly and tough on it. Even if it involves tearing up contracts.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
yes tala gray is a victorian, played at st kevs and melb uni colts while at school, the went to the brumbies academy, before going OS.

I think a bit of credit has to go to Norths where he played until he was 16.

Plus in response to the KevinO post there's a bucket of Aussies in France. The only two Vics in France are Barry F and Tala Grey.

Outside of that Super Rugby quality Aussies that aren't too old that I can think of are:
  • Jono Jenkins
  • Anthony Hegarty
  • Danya Edwards
  • Ben Hand
  • Luke Rooney
  • Blaire Connor
  • Pat O'Connor
  • Mark Chisholm (who has relies in Melb)
  • Morgan Turanui
  • Lei Tomiki
  • Matt Cararo
  • Brock James
Bolded players are who I would think would be particularly good signings.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)

Gee, that's not good at all.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think it's also worth nothing that in the list by me above we have:
  • 2 experienced TH Locks listed, for all our locking talent we do not have a well balanced 2nd row.
  • 2 experienced Inside Centres, which I believe to be in THE key area that we are lacking in. Though I suppose Cararo is more a 13.
  • 2 Ozzy qualified open side flankers, as good as Jordy Reid is I think he won't be ready to consistently start until 2015.
I would say that these are 3 of our obvious player recruitment weaknesses (barring front row which is a hard prospect for Aussies to fix).

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Doubt an after-match function was wise after that display..should have been a last minute cancellation.

If this is as big an issue as Vuna is inferring, management need to come out swiftly and tough on it. Even if it involves tearing up contracts.

not going to lie...i wouldn't mind hearing some names.

I do wonder what's going on there.....club seems to be in disarray at the moment!

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Contracts need tearing up if true. Can't have players behaving like that.

Now where to for next week?

I'd bench Weeks, Robinson, Pyle, Fuglistaller, Higgers and Phipps. I'd say Delve as well, but he's captain so he won't be. He was incredibly poor last night though.

Status
Not open for further replies.