• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I hate to be that guy boys but Pauliasi Manu is playing some pretty nice footy and would have certainly rounded off our starting XV nicely.

It's good to see a young fellow like Cruze get a shot because of it but sheesh, really wish we had a prop like Manu in our pastures.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
For my money, Hill has till after the Kings game to notch up absolute minimum, 1 win. preferably two considering we will be meeting a very tired and road worn cheetahs outfit next week.

Should he not secure those wins, I think serious consideration needs to be shown to what would regrettably be a 3rd coach in 4 years. There has been improvement this year for the rebels, but I'm not convinced its been enough. we're still fading in the last 20 or 30. the difference is we're better in the first 50-60mins than we were last year.

If he is shown the door, i think contenders are:
Ewen Mckenzie
Pat Lam
Scott Johnson
curveball - Kieran Crowely. he put his hand up for the blues job and was flown down for interviews but obviously got beaten by Kirwan.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Hill was really the coach in the first season wasn't he?

I know what you mean. I see the boys play, and nine times out of ten I struggle to see how they'll win. Being competitive shouldn't really be enough. There's a lot of talent in the squad now, I don't think they're playing to their potential.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
If he is shown the door, i think contenders are:
Ewen Mckenzie
Pat Lam
Scott Johnson
curveball - Kieran Crowely. he put his hand up for the blues job and was flown down for interviews but obviously got beaten by Kirwan.

McKenzie - Wants a international job, turned the Wallabies down when he wasn't ready earlier in his coaching career. Will end up with the Wallabies or Ireland.

Pat Lam - Signed a deal to coach Connacht next season, already failed once with a good squad. Would not want him to coach the Rebels. Hill is 1-0 on the head to head between the two to make my point.

Johnson - I'd say he will get the full time gig with Scotland after there 6 nations review. He has done a great job bringing through some of there youngsters and will stay there for another year.

Crowely - I'd say he wants to return home, think he is currently with the Canadian team so would be a strange ask. Although I'd say the few trips home a season could be tempting.

Regarding Hill, I think (Hope) now that we have some wingers back from injury we will look a bit better.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
For my money, Hill has till after the Kings game to notch up absolute minimum, 1 win. preferably two considering we will be meeting a very tired and road worn cheetahs outfit next week.

i would think that 10 points from our next 4 games is a minimum.

probable BP loss to sharks, win against tired cheetahs, close BP loss to force (prefer a win, but it will be difficult to beat an improving force at home after the south africa leg) and the win against kings who will have been on the road a month.

if hill has the full list fit and available and can't muster the bare minimum from these next four weeks, then i think he must be under pressure to hold his position. i believe he should have another year given the improvement, but whether the owners feel that way is another matter, especially if the home crowd figures don't improve.

dont really think ewen mck wants to come home.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
i would think that 10 points from our next 4 games is a minimum.

probable BP loss to sharks, win against tired cheetahs, close BP loss to force (prefer a win, but it will be difficult to beat an improving force at home after the south africa leg) and the win against kings who will have been on the road a month.

i'd agree with that. two wins would get them to 3-5, putting them in pole position to end the season with 5-6 wins and around 10th on the ladder.

the critical thing is to string together a few home game wins to get some crowds in....regrettably our next string of games at home is Kings, Chiefs and Stormers (though we should've beat the stormers last year).

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
McKenzie - Wants a international job, turned the Wallabies down when he wasn't ready earlier in his coaching career. Will end up with the Wallabies or Ireland.

Pat Lam - Signed a deal to coach Connacht next season, already failed once with a good squad. Would not want him to coach the Rebels. Hill is 1-0 on the head to head between the two to make my point.

Johnson - I'd say he will get the full time gig with Scotland after there 6 nations review. He has done a great job bringing through some of there youngsters and will stay there for another year.

Crowely - I'd say he wants to return home, think he is currently with the Canadian team so would be a strange ask. Although I'd say the few trips home a season could be tempting.

Regarding Hill, I think (Hope) now that we have some wingers back from injury we will look a bit better.

didnt know that about lam. he's out.
johnson - agree probably as well.
crowley wants to head back this way and step up to the next level, which after Canada really is a top club gig or assistant for a top tier team. however, further reading and after he didnt get the blues gig canada signed him up asap to take us through to 2015 WC and he's also the assistant 7s coach. he will be in good stead when he's done as he has massively improved our XV team and our 7s are hugely on the rise.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Ridiculous hype, he hasn't even played a game yet.
Haha from a Tahs fan, just so sorry BUT

Izzy had never played Union and there was 100 000 articles on him, including not getting selected in the Wallabies training squad.

At least we know Woodward can play, was great in the ITM Cup.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Considering the ARU paid his wages it's not surprising to see an an article stating he didn't make the training squad but that has nothing to do with hype.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Considering the ARU paid his wages it's not surprising to see an an article stating he didn't make the training squad but that has nothing to do with hype.
Has everything to do with the Hype. No other reason they would write the article.

As for hype around Woodward, it's because he is considered that good that he shouldn't be allowed to leave NZ. A gun who can play from 10 to 15 and kick with both feet.

Worth hype compared to a AFL drop out

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i'd agree with that. two wins would get them to 3-5, putting them in pole position to end the season with 5-6 wins and around 10th on the ladder.

the critical thing is to string together a few home game wins to get some crowds in..regrettably our next string of games at home is Kings, Chiefs and Stormers (though we should've beat the stormers last year).

chiefs should see reasonable crowd, regrettably SA teams draw poor crowds fom past experience. i think the rebels front office would be quite worried about attendances this year. i think (i know i was) they would have expected a minimum 15-16K for the aussie derbies especially against reds, (and return game v tahs) and 18+K for games against NZ opposition, and about 11 -12 for matches against SA sides. i think the crowd will be lucky to get to 10K on a saturday arvo vs the kings.

i hope i am wrong

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hill was really the coach in the first season wasn't he?
Hill's a classic hand's on coach and has always been the major "hands on" coach at the Rebels.
But, plenty of non-hands on coaches are seeing sucess nowadays. It's no secret at the Brumbies Fishes does the forwards, Larkham does the backs, and Mowen/Palmer do the line outs/scrums respectively. White does the high concept stuff.
I heard in some circles that for all his success Macqueen was a systems man and his rugby aptitude wasn't where most coaches with his level of success were (just a rumour, but interesting).

Lam didn't fail. He was kicked out after a bad year but he made the playoffs the year before with a weaker squad. He got solid but not outstanding results overall.

Crowley would be a good choice but I wouldn't mind us getting a good up-and-coming coach from the club ranks. Obviously that's what Hill was but why don't we look at Manenti or Mumm?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Look, he's not quite as good as that article suggests. He's a classy, well-rounded player who does the basics to a very high standard. He's not some freak athlete or anything, he's just a very good rugby player. He's definitely good enough to be playing Soup, but he's not worth hyperventilating about. Is an improvement on Kingi if his ITM Cup form is anything to go by.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Look, he's not quite as good as that article suggests. He's a classy, well-rounded player who does the basics to a very high standard. He's not some freak athlete or anything, he's just a very good rugby player. He's definitely good enough to be playing Soup, but he's not worth hyperventilating about. Is an improvement on Kingi if his ITM Cup form is anything to go by.

He's an athlete with a boot. He'll go okay and might even be better than that in 2 years time but you're exactly right, he's nothing but a good ITM Cup player right now.

That being said, I have no idea how he didn't end up in the Kiwi 7s system. His game screams 7s.

Status
Not open for further replies.