• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

I was at the Rebels vs Force game and thought Phipps was one of your best players. I doubt you'd have won if he hadn't played so well. He sparked the attack that led to a couple of the tries.

He cops a lot of crap because he is nowhere near as good as Genia. That doesn't make him a bad player.

Don't get me wrong, Phipps does some good work and parts of the Force game was one of those times. But he also did some absolutely shocking work in that game as well. My view is that he doesn't do the good work consistently and that the stuff he does badly outweighs the good stuff.

I certainly don't put Phipps in the same category of Genia as a means of measurement, simply because it is a waste of time. Phipps is not in the same league. Having said that, Genia-level 9 play-making should be an aspirational goal.

My main point with the current #9 setup at the Rebels is that we just cannot have Phipps and Stirzaker together. The choice should be either Phipps and (insert experienced player), or Stirzaker and (insert experienced player).

Long term it should be the latter option.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Burgess turns 30 in August this year and would be 36 at the 2019 RWC.

According to Wikipedia he turns 29 in August of this year but according to ESPN he turns 30, if you have personal knowledge you're probably right.

Either way the bloke played 2 Super rugby games before 2008. To put that into perspective the man has only played 1 year more of week-in, week-out professional rugby than James O'Connor.

Gregan did a WC at 34 with a heap more professional rugby in his legs. It's unlikely but not ridiculous especially if we fail to develop a clear successor like Aus rugby has been proven to do in the past.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
To be entirely fair chaps, we should keep discussion re: next year in next year's thread. The potential impact on Phipps' play this year and bringing along Stirzacker with more game-time would be on topic though.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
To be entirely fair chaps, we should keep discussion re: next year in next year's thread. The potential impact on Phipps' play this year and bringing along Stirzacker with more game-time would be on topic though.

Mmm, I think talk about the Rebels taking place in 2013 should be in the 2013 thread and when the season ends we should switch over to 2014.

The lines are too blurry. Between match day threads, the 2013 thread, and the 2014 thread where the hell am I meant to discuss what? What if I want to talk about how good Gerrad played in 2012? Do I have to dig that thread up? God help me if I want to talk about how Kingi played in the game 2 weeks ago.

It's a discussion forum and discussion should evolve organically.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I agree. Use these threads for general, non-match discussion. Create one at the end of each season.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Another draw, won a half lost a half - the wins will come, there is some good structure and even at the bck end of the game it could have ended up 20 20.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
If we can only beat 1 Australian team how can we expect to get any higher than 10th overall? This year was about not being the whipping boys anymore, sadly that's 3 weeks we have not been able convert half time lead into a win. 1 bonus point is realistically what we have achieved after a first round win. Maybe that Rebels 2014 thread was not such a bad idea.
At least a bye means 4 points.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Positive note: Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Pyle and Neville apparently all looking to stay on. Just need Jones (Y)

Cheerio Phipps.

P

Paradox

Positive note: Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Pyle and Neville apparently all looking to stay on. Just need Jones (Y)

Cheerio Phipps.

That would be good news. Growden has Beale as definitely off to the Tahs and JOC (James O'Connor) is rumoured to be be off to the Reds. Pyle to the Brumbies is another. I hope they all stay with the Rebels though.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
That would be good news. Growden has Beale as definitely off to the Tahs and JOC (James O'Connor) is rumoured to be be off to the Reds. Pyle to the Brumbies is another. I hope they all stay with the Rebels though.
I dont see how tje reds could fit JOC (James O'Connor) in their salary cap they have paid so much to digby cooper and genia there is no way they could fit him in. He will stay at the rebs

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)

Cheerio Phipps.
well here's hoping

i was beginning to get that sinking feeling deep in my gut

phipps gone, the other regular standout contributors jones, pyle, neville, etc and the "bungy bros" off contract and being actively courted elsewhere; fewer OS positions, delve, robinson going/gone; only one win in the opening 4 rounds (and a struggle to win that), getting better but still a way off the pace when it counts (sadly); rumoured financial woes and although vocal and passionate supporters, pretty poor crowd attendances.

i think the rebels and vic rugby still have a long uphill battle ahead.

still great to a have a team in melbourne and all we can do is continue to support them through thick and thin

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)

Cheerio Phipps.
That's huge if true. If the injuries get sorted and the fitness levels get up to scratch, next year the Rebels could have a real dig at things. A proper loosehead, a good hooker and Colby (or similar) at openside and things start looking pretty bright.

Nice to see that we aren't being completely rolled this year. Last couple of years we would have shipped 40 points in that game I reckon.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
You take Phipps, we'll take Robinson. Considering he's out of favour with Cheika and Henderson will probably retire. We originally tried to recruit him for 2011, if people recall.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
BE58aRlCAAADFJ7.jpg:large

New nickname for Mitchell might need to be Wolverine

Status
Not open for further replies.