• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Australian has now picked up on Beale's possible return to Sydney...
Heard them talking about that a few weeks ago, sure they where saying his going to play league as well.

Don't take anything the papers are saying serious just yet.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
While it is entirely possible that Beale is leaving. You also have to remember that the majority of the rugby journalist 'brain trust' live in the 2000 postcodes.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
Wonder who this would be?

http://www.espnscrum.com/super-rugby-2013/rugby/story/177055.html

If true, good. Not fussed anyway.

Same for Phipps, if true. We are here to win titles, if you don't want that, on your bike.
that's clearly JOC (James O'Connor).
conflicted as i rate him massively as a player but get the complete impression from the rumours, the way he dresses and speaks to the media that his is a massive loser/tool.
would no be good if we lost him at all though, that said.
If barnes' departure to Japan happens, then you can definitely see the tahs trying to lure him back.
should the rebels lose one of them, i suspect the other won't be far behind and if we lose both, we are in trouble.
personally, and this all depends on how this season goes, but I think Hill is out of his depth when you compare him to the other australian coaches, bar maybe foley. link, cheika and white are leagues ahead of hill. will be interesting to see how he goes and if he stays.
who would we get to replace him??

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
the only person I could think of that would be entitled to VC would be Pyle but that doesn't fit his character. Surely JOC (James O'Connor) doesn't think he deserves VC?

kronic

John Solomon (38)
What the draconian ACG (AAMI Park) security don't want you to see:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-frc1/538094_10200611900682516_1824196273_n.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A loss, but still some positives for the Rebels. I love their positive, attacking attitude, but they pushed it a bit far at times and a tough, well-drilled team made them pay for it. Brumbies were very good and most teams would have found them hard to beat last night.

I thought that the Rebels kicking game was awful. JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale must think they are still playing for the Deans coached Wallabies.

Someone also needs to take Phipps aside and explain the purpose of a box kick; i.e. it needs to be far enough for your chasers to be moving at speed and needs to land about the same time as your chasers arrive. All his efforts seem to be either: charged down, go straight up in the air and land in the middle of a clump of stationary players or land so far down field that the nearest Rebels player is about 20 metres from the fullback or winger who catches it. He's just surrendering possession and losing momentum at the moment.

Surely in the land of AFL the Rebels can find someone who can teach their players to kick.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
that's clearly JOC (James O'Connor).
conflicted as i rate him massively as a player but get the complete impression from the rumours, the way he dresses and speaks to the media that his is a massive loser/tool.
would no be good if we lost him at all though, that said.
If barnes' departure to Japan happens, then you can definitely see the tahs trying to lure him back.
should the rebels lose one of them, i suspect the other won't be far behind and if we lose both, we are in trouble.
personally, and this all depends on how this season goes, but I think Hill is out of his depth when you compare him to the other australian coaches, bar maybe foley. link, cheika and white are leagues ahead of hill. will be interesting to see how he goes and if he stays.
who would we get to replace him??

I wondered about that. The Brumbies are into their renaissance and seem to be doing swimmingly. The Tahs are supposed to be the next thing since sliced bread with Michael Cheika. The Force are claiming that we are re-inventing ourselves. The Reds have too many star players to suck (although if Link was Wallabies coach and Graham took over it might be interesting). You can't have all five teams on the rise. The depth of Australian rugby is definitely improving but you can't help but feel that over this season and next it might be a bit of a false dawn for two out of the Force, Rebels and Tahs.

I actually think James O'Connor would stay in Melbourne. He would not be welcome back at the Force and I doubt he would want to come back. Cheika and White wouldn't have a bar of him. McKenzie has a hard enough time managing Quade. I also wonder if Beale didn't burn a bridge or two in NSW when he moved south. Maybe one or both of them will go overseas. Or to make it in league. Or try to make it in boxing. I'd like to see who Khoder Nasser lines up against James O'Connor.

If I were the Rebels, the players I would be most worried about losing would be Luke Jones, Hugh Pyle and Caedyrn Neville.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The Force are claiming that we are re-inventing ourselves. The depth of Australian rugby is definitely improving but you can't help but feel that over this season and next it might be a bit of a false dawn for two out of the Force, Rebels and Tahs.

I actually think James O'Connor would stay in Melbourne. He would not be welcome back at the Force and I doubt he would want to come back. Cheika and White wouldn't have a bar of him. McKenzie has a hard enough time managing Quade. I also wonder if Beale didn't burn a bridge or two in NSW when he moved south. Maybe one or both of them will go overseas. Or to make it in league. Or try to make it in boxing. I'd like to see who Khoder Nasser lines up against James O'Connor.

If I were the Rebels, the players I would be most worried about losing would be Luke Jones, Hugh Pyle and Caedyrn Neville.

You're right about Jones, Pyle and Neville.

Hill might not be the world's best coaches, but he's streets ahead of Foley. I wouldn't be want to be hanging by the fingernails wating for him to re-invent the Force - unless it's to beat the Kings for the wooden spoon. Waratahs fans have seen Foley's style of re-invention first hand and it's not a pretty sight.

Seriously, the choice of coach for the Rebels when Hill goes (whether that's in a short time or a long time) is critical. White and Cheika have shown what a good coach can do in a short period of time. Whoever suceeds Hill needs to be the best available - even if it means paying top dollar.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
..... Or try to make it in boxing. I'd like to see who Khoder Nasser lines up against James O'Connor.
I would suggest Layne Beachley if she was 5 or more years older, but she is only 40 and may well be too tough an assignment for young Bieber in his first couple of fights.
If they can leave it to the end of the year,Joolia will have plenty of time on her hands....

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
The sooner one of the 3 injuries is back the better, Sidey is not up to Super Rugby and just does not seem to do anything on the pitch.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Some issues from the game:
  • Our line is still shit. Is it the thrower, the calls, the options?
  • O'Connor's defense as a fullback is rubbish, doesn't know how to position himself, example, the 1st try. Why the hell is he up at half-way?
  • Kicking in general play is woeful, how many attempts just ended up being bombs? Kingi probably pulled off the best of the night
Going forward, we are great, O'Connor and Beale are fantastic, as well as Jones and Pyle with their runs.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I know the season has just started but friday nights game really showed up the lack of depth the rebels have. Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) are left to do everything in attack and as such they are targetted heavily by the opposition. Hence why they get injured so often.

Looking at the rebels squad going forward they really need to sign a fly half, a winger/centre, a flanker, a hooker and a prop.

Personally I think Jono Lance would be a better signing than Morahan. Toua or Fainga'a would be decent options at centre. Jack Lam, Colby Fainga'a or Beau Robinson would all be good value at 7, or if they are looking to spend a bit of money - George Smith.

In the front row the talent is spread very thin in Australia. You might be able to pick up Saia Fainga'a or Ulugia at hooker but ultimately I think the rebels need to fill these positions with promising club players.

The rebels can't expect to achieve anything without a quality flyhalf, flanker and front row - and at the moment they dont have any of this.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I know the season has just started but friday nights game really showed up the lack of depth the rebels have. Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) are left to do everything in attack and as such they are targetted heavily by the opposition. Hence why they get injured so often.

Looking at the rebels squad going forward they really need to sign a fly half, a winger/centre, a flanker, a hooker and a prop.

Personally I think Jono Lance would be a better signing than Morahan. Toua or Fainga'a would be decent options at centre. Jack Lam, Colby Fainga'a or Beau Robinson would all be good value at 7, or if they are looking to spend a bit of money - George Smith.

In the front row the talent is spread very thin in Australia. You might be able to pick up Saia Fainga'a or Ulugia at hooker but ultimately I think the rebels need to fill these positions with promising club players.

The rebels can't expect to achieve anything without a quality flyhalf, flanker and front row - and at the moment they dont have any of this.

It's early, and based on nothing, but I think Rebels will lose both JOC (James O'Connor) (Reds) and Beale (League) at the end of the season. They should look at picking up a package deal of all three of the Fainga'a brothers covering 2,7,12 (Colby stuck behind Pocock and Reds will be looking to offload some players to fit all their Wallabies in), as well as either Morahan or Lance to cover 15. It's that kind of talent spread which will better suit the Rebels rather than going after these big marque individual signings.. they still need a 10 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.