• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
How has JOC (James O'Connor)'s form at 15 been in the trial matches?
The way him and Beale worked last week was great, the closest to the ruck goes into First receiver and the other drops out. So they are really both playing 10 and 15 depending on where they are at the Breakdown. Will make both players very hard to mark and read especially as they get more game time and match fitness. Found it a big improvement from JOC (James O'Connor) and can't wait to see how it works against the Force.

First time I am ever expecting a decent win from the Rebels (15 Points), Hurricanes found some holes and did put 40+ points on us last weekend but I don't think Force have as many attacking treats to worry about.

D

daz

How has JOC (James O'Connor)'s form at 15 been in the trial matches?

The Canes put on some very soft tries that any sweeping defender should have prevented. Maybe that is a bit harsh, but still.

To be honest, I think I saw more of JOC (James O'Connor) trying to be the jiggy-footed attack freak than a solid cut-em-down/last-line-of-defence defender. He might be good at 15, but I didn't see him give it much of a go. Again, maybe that is a bit harsh.

That said, he is not afraid to tackle, so I am not having a go at his body on body work. But positionally, I thought it could have been better.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
so for all you rebellious ones, did we like what we saw ?
great to win and i thought the force played really well especially in the early stages. still a couple of attacking turnovers from set piece but also a couple of steals. defence really very good despite a few missed tackles. pity we cant play 4 backrowers at a time, luke jones was fantastic and to have neville on the bench, what a luxury.

clearly refs interpretation at the breakdown of who is and who isnt THE tackler is going to vary week to week, because at the geelong trial, all the infringements given against the defenders last night, went the other way for holding on. so smart move by the rebels to stop contesting and fan out. left a few gaps close to the ruck though.

the backs were generally pretty constructive with the ball they got. defensive alignment needs some work.

and richard kinghi i forgive you, forever !

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
i thought it was an absolutely atrocious first 20 minutes and had me thinking that if they continue this way, it's going to be another long season.
picked up nicely though after that.
it was very refreshing to see such an excellent lineout. yes the force are short, but wykes is a tall man and regardless, last year we would've lost half those lineouts.
scrum was strong though there was some sloppiness with our rucking at times.
i thought the tight 5 and back 5 all looked great.
Delve was a machine, Pyle was excellent and Luke Jones was truely getting amongst it.
Robinson recovered after a horrid first 20 and i was quite pleased with all three props. weekes looks good and fit.

phipps played solidly. reasonably quick service and looked like he tackled well.

i didn't think beale was too effective at fly half and now reallly believe JOC (James O'Connor) and he should switch positions.

Beale didn't open the backs up enough, it seemed they opened up when JOC (James O'Connor) got the ball. as a result, Inman and Sidey didn't see much ball.
Kingi played great. he looks fit and healthy and he made a few good tackles and of course the two tries...
lachlan mitchell, for all my man love, is going to have a very hard time sticking in the game day 22 once the likes of Vuna and potentially woodward are fit.
he has heart and great work ethic, but his pace is just that little bit off the mark that leaves him behind as a winger. a better back up centre imo.

force lookes sharp. they will not be pushovers. I thought Tuopo? looked very deadly every time he touched it. great hands, huge frame, powerful and fast. great looking player. ditto malfi and i thought delitt looked imposing. mathewson was quick and dangerous all night. horrible yellow card.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
i thought it was an absolutely atrocious first 20 minutes and had me thinking that if they continue this way, it's going to be another long season.
picked up nicely though after that.
it was very refreshing to see such an excellent lineout. yes the force are short, but wykes is a tall man and regardless, last year we would've lost half those lineouts.
scrum was strong though there was some sloppiness with our rucking at times.
i thought the tight 5 and back 5 all looked great.
Delve was a machine, Pyle was excellent and Luke Jones was truely getting amongst it.
Robinson recovered after a horrid first 20 and i was quite pleased with all three props. weekes looks good and fit.

phipps played solidly. reasonably quick service and looked like he tackled well.

i didn't think beale was too effective at fly half and now reallly believe JOC (James O'Connor) and he should switch positions.

Beale didn't open the backs up enough, it seemed they opened up when JOC (James O'Connor) got the ball. as a result, Inman and Sidey didn't see much ball.
Kingi played great. he looks fit and healthy and he made a few good tackles and of course the two tries.
lachlan mitchell, for all my man love, is going to have a very hard time sticking in the game day 22 once the likes of Vuna and potentially woodward are fit.
he has heart and great work ethic, but his pace is just that little bit off the mark that leaves him behind as a winger. a better back up centre imo.

force lookes sharp. they will not be pushovers. I thought Tuopo? looked very deadly every time he touched it. great hands, huge frame, powerful and fast. great looking player. ditto malfi and i thought delitt looked imposing. mathewson was quick and dangerous all night. horrible yellow card.

Don't think JOC (James O'Connor) will be as effective at 10 and Beale just needs a bit more time on the pitch.

Kingi should just play on the wing and give up on being a scrum half.

Mitchell and the man love will live on, can't see Sidey and Inman being a long time option as a center combo. Thought Mitchell was great under the high ball, took some under a lot of pressure especially that last one where he called the mark.

Happy enough with Phipps game.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Kingi should just play on the wing and give up on being a scrum half.

Though the trial games are over and we're in no situation to try it, but I think Kingi could be a great 10.

Reasoning:
He's been a 9, so he has playmaking experience.
He is a better runner in space rather than in traffic (as displayed by his play on the wing and at fb).
He has a nice long passing game.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
i think he played 10 at school boy and possibly u-20 level
he played there for the rebels before and he was quite good. has all the skills. he would need a large frame like inman right outside him though to cover tackles.

beale wasn't very effective at 10, so not hard for JOC (James O'Connor) to be more effective.

i still rate kingi as a better 9 than phipps. adds a great attacking threat, but he is also a great little winger or fullback or 10 or 9. he will be in the matchday 22 every week with his versatility.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
i think he played 10 at school boy and possibly u-20 level
he played there for the rebels before and he was quite good. has all the skills. he would need a large frame like inman right outside him though to cover tackles.

beale wasn't very effective at 10, so not hard for JOC (James O'Connor) to be more effective.

i still rate kingi as a better 9 than phipps. adds a great attacking threat, but he is also a great little winger or fullback or 10 or 9. he will be in the matchday 22 every week with his versatility.

Overall Phipps looked good on the weekend. In fact, whilst not the best 9 that played over the weekend I think he had the best game.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Wonder who this would be?

Ego rebelling in Melbourne

Even before the Super Rugby kick-off, there is high drama at the Melbourne Rebels. One of their biggest draw cards has made it known he is furious not to be named vice-captain. Rebels coach Damien Hill, who needs to dramatically improve his success rate this year or he will be shown the door, surprised many when announcing Gareth Delve as captain, but not naming any deputies, arguing that no-one had stood out for selection. That did not go down well with one high-profile Rebels identity, who has a very healthy, sometimes rampant, ego. In a classic dummy spit, he has told team-mates he will leave Melbourne at the end of the season. Our snouts tell us Queensland Reds are already hovering around this disenchanted player, and the Brumbies are showing interest.

http://www.espnscrum.com/super-rugby-2013/rugby/story/177055.html

If true, good. Not fussed anyway.

Same for Phipps, if true. We are here to win titles, if you don't want that, on your bike.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
There are a lot of commas in the sentence, but did he say people were surprised Delve was named captain? Was anyone with even a small interest in the Rebels remotely surprised he was named captain?

While it sounds like standard rumor mongering, I wouldn't be surprised if JOC (James O'Connor) had a dummy spit, I'm sure they're a regular occurrence but as long as he still plays well who cares? It just seems like the sort of player he is. I do laugh at the idea of him play under Link or Jake White, they don't exactly seem the type to suffer fools.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Mate of mine thought KB (Kurtley Beale) & JOC (James O'Connor) seemed to call the shots at penalty time ahead of Delvey.. I personally didn't notice it, but perhaps it is related?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Nothing wrong with asking your kickers what they think about their kick.

I thought the Rebels made some reasonable choices. They took the sitters and went for the line on kicks that were wider out. Admittedly a couple of them were ones you'd expect JOC (James O'Connor) to land 80+% of the time.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I thought the Rebels made some reasonable choices. They took the sitters and went for the line on kicks that were wider out. Admittedly a couple of them were ones you'd expect JOC (James O'Connor) to land 80+% of the time.

2-3 years ago someone decided a maul for the corner was infinitely more entertaining than a kick. Thus, if you don't want a bad write up the next day you've got to maul.

Status
Not open for further replies.