• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
How he functions with other teams has very little relevance to how he functions with the Rebels team.

Using the perceived strength of the Rebels backline last year as authority for assertions that he should not play there is a straw man argument. KB (Kurtley Beale) played four games at 10 for the Rebels last year which included a very commendable performance against the Bulls, a win against the Force and the defeat of the Crusaders; a feat that I believe no other Australian franchise achieved and certainly places them closer to world beaters in that regard. Admittedly, there was a disappointing game by the Rebels against the Hurricanes which he was 10 for, although it is worth noting that that game came on a 5 day turnaround including a return from WA and it was the game he was injured in (hence why he DNP the next week against the Brumbies). The Rebels did not play 'a little better' with KB (Kurtley Beale) at the helm, they played significantly better.

Furthermore going by his answers in interviews, his 'preferred position' is 10.

I hope this explains why in my opinion (and that of several other Rebels supporters), KB (Kurtley Beale) is the best first choice 10 we have.
Fair enough, happy to agree to disagree. Im sure that he will be picked at 10 anyway. I suppose a small part of me wouldnt mind seing him at 15 for the benefit of Australian Rugby as I believe the best wallaby backline has Cooper at 10, Beale 15 and JOC (James O'Connor) at 14. Understand that its the nature of the beast to have players playing where it suits their franchise.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
I just felt it in my waters that no good could come from a joint training session with the Storm...

Beale hints at league switch

Wallabies and Rebels star utility back Kurtley Beale admitted he would like to cross codes and try his hand in the 13-man game.

The 24-year-old was hooked to the idea after taking part in a two-hour training session with NRL side Melbourne Storm, saying he was a huge leage fan.

"It's always lingering in the back of my mind," said Beale.

"I'm a massive fan of rugby league and I played it all my junior career and I'm always switching channels to watch it on the weekend.

"Hopefully later on, in the years to come, I will be able to put my hand up and have a crack at it."

http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8401813,00.html

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Was a bit of a nothing story. He was asked if he would like to play league and he said yes. They wouldn't have enough money to pay for him to make the switch. I really doubt it will ever happen.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Jets - I agree. I bet you could ask any rugby player who had played league as a kid if they'd be interested in playing in the NRL later in their career and they would say yes.

The same would apply for NRL players who played rugby as a kid.

The reality of it actually happening at any point is far less likely.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Common practice these days, negotiation 101 is to publicaly state interest in other code, overseas and get the best bang for your buck 1 year deal you can and then repeat :) the process. Think Kurtly would actually go pretty good in league but not likely to happen anytime soon. Can see him in Japan after next world cup.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Nothing but a wank story from the media wank that was the joint session.

Bellamy is at the Melbourne Victory training also today, should ask Archie Thompson whether he'd play League. He is of Kiwi heritage after all.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Was a bit of a nothing story. He was asked if he would like to play league and he said yes. They wouldn't have enough money to pay for him to make the switch. I really doubt it will ever happen.

Hell, even I'm interested in playing league if they'd pay me. Never played the game, but watch a little bit of it on telly. It's good when nothing else is on.

Que the headlines?

kronic

John Solomon (38)
They had to promote a player. I guess the fact he'll be away with Japan during the middle of the season contributed to the decision.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
In the perfect world you'd play Beale at 15. I agree with the consensus that 15 is his best position. But that doesn't necessarily mean he should play there for the Rebels. Flyhalf is the most important position so you want your best play-maker there. Beale is the rebels best playmaker. He has loads of experience at 10 at Super level, and did a solid job at test level. He was a stand-out at 10 in the win over the crusaders last year. He's the obvious choice.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
There is an AAP article on the union live app I can't find on the internet at the moment about Damien Hill and what he's thinking on selections for this season. There are the standard caveat 'nothing is set in stone' style comments about positions but it drops some solid hints at that Woodward will be starting at 15. Partly as he's got a big boot like Gerrard used to bring to the team and if that's the case I can't argue with that selection. It also talks up JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale as 'playmakers'. Reading between the lines I'm going to guess it's Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) and 10 and 12 respectively.

Who knows if it's true or not as it's not a direct quote but it also it flat out says that Fuglistaller will be starting at 7, which is fair enough with all the rugby Saffy has missed. Mentally coming back from such a serious injury must be tough too, cameos off the bench to build confidence are justified in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.